IGNORED

Can a Christian be a police officer, knowing that they may have to kill?

Mateo

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 minute ago, Mateo said:

Where does the Bible say a Christian can defend themself. If  a police officer has to defend themself, wouldn't it be impossible and against the teachings of Jesus for a Christian to be a police officer?

Nope. As addressed above.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

The question the OP posted is a bit of a variant of "can a Christian defend themselves or a loved one" we've seen here from time to time. The answer is yes, but I'll tell you one you may not believe. Years ago my and I were at a tent revival, and after the service several men and their wives stood around outside getting to know each other.

Someone asked how the hunting was in the area, and one thing led to another when it finally got around to what kinds of weapons did people have for home defense. I mentioned mine, several of the other guys mentioned theirs, when one young man piped up and said he didn't believe in such things. One old codger, a retired Marine, asked the man what he would do if he came in one night and found someone raping his wife. The man smiled and said it would obviously be God's will that his wife was being raped, and he'd no nothing. His wife, who was standing right there, took two steps away, and the shock and pain in her eyes as she gaped at her husband was terrible. The Marine shook and head and muttered, "What kind of man would allow that?"

I wonder the same thing.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I don't even have to respond because Pat & Backaran did a fine job of it........again!:DAnd of course,John Robinsons post was fantastic!

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Very good example Robinson, and a good question, one pacifists really can't answer. What kind of man would let that happen to his wife. How is it loving, to allow a evil persom to hurt a innocent? It's a age old question, and one that to date, no one has been able to answer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Mateo said:

Hello, can a Christian be a police officer knowing that they may have to kill. Please explain, why or why not. Biblically of course.

@Mateo This is a very interesting discussion! :) What is difference between killing someone and committing murder?

1. Re: Murder

The Bible does teach that we must not murder in Exodus 20. This is true.

Exodus 20:13
13 “You shall not murder.

Yet in Exodus 32 the Levites killed their sons, brothers, sisters, friends, and neighbors. Was the commandment not to murder paused by God? By no means! In fact Moses called the Levites who killed 3000 people "set apart by God".

Exodus 32:25-29
25 And when Moses saw that the people had broken loose (for Aaron had let them break loose, to the derision of their enemies), 26 then Moses stood in the gate of the camp and said, “Who is on the Lord's side? Come to me.” And all the sons of Levi gathered around him. 27 And he said to them, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘Put your sword on your side each of you, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill his brother and his companion and his neighbor.’” 28 And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses. And that day about three thousand men of the people fell. 29 And Moses said, “Today you have been ordained for the service of the Lord, each one at the cost of his son and of his brother, so that he might bestow a blessing upon you this day.”

2. Re: God's Justice

We also know that God is a God of Justice. Deuteronomy 16:20, 32:4 for example. All God's ways are just and upright. God is faithful and without iniquity.

Deuteronomy  16:20
20 Justice, and only justice, you shall follow, that you may live and inherit the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

Deuteronomy  16:20
“The Rock, his work is perfect,
    for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
    just and upright is he.

3. Re: Defend the Week, Poor, & Oppressed from the Wicked

We are told in Psalm 82:3-4 to defend the weak and fatherless. We are to uphold the cause of the poor and oppressed. Even to rescue the weak and needy from the hands of the wicked.

Psalm 82:3-4

Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
    maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
    deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

(Due to the length of my reply after some study on the subject I'm going to break this up into several posts.)

God bless,
GE

1 hour ago, Mateo said:

Some would say that Jesus clearly teaches to not avenge yourself and turn the other cheek. Wouldn't you have to reject that teaching in order to be a police officer?

(continued #1)

Another good question is how are we to interact with government officials?

4. Re: Government Authority & Bearing the Sword according to Paul

In Romans 13 particularly verses 2-4 deals with submission to government authorities and by extension instruction on how law enforcement should be conducted. Police officers, government agents who "bear the sword", or peace officers represent the “rulers” mentioned in this passage and extend their authority.

Romans 13:2-4

Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

5. Re: Peter Agrees

God commands the government to punish evildoers. This isn't just some teaching of Paul either. See 1 Peter 2 for example and particularly in verses 13 & 14.

1 Peter 2:14
13 Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, 14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.

(Due to the length of my reply after some study on the subject I'm going to break this up into several posts.)

God bless,
GE

2 hours ago, Mateo said:

Hello, can a Christian be a police officer knowing that they may have to kill. Please explain, why or why not. Biblically of course.

(continued #2)

Sure why not use real life examples then from the Bible? Here are two in the example of John the Baptist's teachings and how Peter interacting with a Roman Centurion Cornelius.

6. Re: John the Baptist

In Luke 3 when Roman soldiers asked John the Baptist what they should do to follow God what was the response? Don't extort money or issue false accusations. In other words don't be corrupt. He didn't instruct them to leave their jobs or abandon their roles as enforcers of the Roman law.

Luke 3:14
14 Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.”

7. Re: Cornelius - A Roman Centurion

One of the first Gentiles (Non-Jews) to believe the gospel was a Roman soldier named Cornelius. He was a Centurion or Captain of about 80-100. He's first mentioned in Acts 10:1-2.

Acts 10:1-2
1 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.

In Acts 10 and 11 we find out God sent Peter, via the direction of the Holy Spirit, to the Centurion for a purpose. God's plan was to save Cornelius and his entire household. God's plan was also to show that salvation was for the Jew and Gentile alike. See specifically Acts 10:22; 11:14.

Acts 10:22
22 And they said, “Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house and to hear what you have to say.”

Acts 11:14
14 he will declare to you a message by which you will be saved, you and all your household.’

3 things of note here:

A. The Bible calls this man devout and God-fearing, even though he was a Roman Centurion. He was a professional soldier and given his rank it's very likely he had to kill someone in his lifetime.
B. God heard the prayers of a Roman Centurion.
C. In further instructions to the Centurion, Peter does not tell Cornelius to leave his career.

God bless,
GE

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Mateo said:

Some would say that Jesus clearly teaches to not avenge yourself and turn the other cheek. Wouldn't you have to reject that teaching in order to be a police officer?

A police officer shooting a violent criminal isn't vengeance.   Turning the other cheek was about how to respond in personal conflicts.   Jesus was not addressing either civil authority, nor was he addressing foreign policy.

Neither vengeance or turning the other cheek apply with regard to law enforcement or the military.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

turning the other cheek pertains more to insults than physical attacks from the customs of the time that I read about.