• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

I just wanted to mention, there really isn't that much difference between the KJV and the modern translations. The King James is based on Texus Recepticus which was the first printed Greek Manuscript. Erasmus was the priest, actually a leading scholar, who put it together from the Byzantine text and back edited it using the Latin Vulgate. After six revisions there were still problems with it. The modern translations are based on Westcott and Hort's Greek New Testament, a much more collaborative work and the translations lack some of the old English elegance. There really are not that many differences and I've found it helpful to compare different translations. 

There is a really good discussion of this in Soap Box debate:

The King James Bible controversy

Like any scholarly debate there are a lot of tedious details so if your interested that thread was very helpful to me.

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

On 12/15/2016 at 8:33 PM, Sing40King said:

I find it interesting that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ yet some will tear each other a part over something like a Bible translation. This is what Jesus wants for us in Christian life and on this forum:

Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

It makes sense that we will disagree but tearing each other apart and insulting isn't pleasing to God nor does it make our point any more believable. Actually it drives people further away from the truth. Instead of immediately defending your idea, maybe you could pray about it. You may be mistaking and the Spirit will show you. Maybe you are right and He will give you the words to say to explain in a friendly way.

That's always bothered me to, we are supposed to have made peace with God through Christ but we tend to beat one another up over doctrinal issues. Conviction is a deeply personal thing, it's always from the inside out so it will look different to each of us. If we are submitting to Jesus as Lord then we are required to submit to one another, the New Testament is crystal clear on this point:

Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. (Eph. 5:21)

In the passage that follows it shows how we submit to one another, husbands to wives, wives to husbands, slaves to master and even masters to slaves. Submitting is implied throughout which is why when it says, 'wives submit to your husbands' it simply uses the word submit. There is a reason for that, in that sentence there is no verb or specific instruction. Submission is meant to be mutual, we are to serve the body of Christ as we would him and as he served us. The night that Christ was betrayed he washed their feet, Judas was even sitting at the right which was a seat of honor. Standing on doctrine is important but none so important as the greatest of us is servant to all. It wouldn't hurt us one bit to keep this in mind when we run into some point of doctrine no matter how important we think what we are sharing might be.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Edited by thilipsis
typos of course