• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

2 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Statements of Faith can look good, but show me where scripture tells us we will know them by their statement of faith!   Scripture tells us we will know them by their fruit.  Joel's fruit is not convincing he is a true follower of Jesus, but a very good prosperity preacher as he has prospered by ignoring sin.

okay, since Joel is better than all the preachers in the churches in my community, who should I watch on TV tomorrow morning?

• Group:  Advanced Member

3 minutes ago, Fran C said:

Some hate to go to links, incl me:

Here:

We Believe…

the entire Bible is inspired by God, without error and the authority on which we base our faith, conduct and doctrine.

in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to this earth as Savior of the world.

Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood for our sins. We believe that salvation is found by placing our faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. We believe Jesus rose from the dead and is coming again.

water baptism is a symbol of the cleansing power of the blood of Christ and a testimony to our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

in the regular taking of Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus did for us on the cross.

every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus by obeying God’s Word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ.

as children of God, we are overcomers and more than conquerors and God intends for each of us to experience the abundant life He has in store for us.

Thank you

Now I feel like converting again

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

2 minutes ago, Fran C said:

I know Joel, I've listened to him OneLight.

Let's see.  He's slightly on the Word of Faith side, but not totally.  He likes to be positive and likes preaching on trusting in Jesus for everything and he makes it sound like you'll get anything you want from Him (Jesus).

He likes to tell stories of this one and that one and how things worked out for them.  His wife must have gone to all the same classes he went to.  

I know that he did not feel up to the job when his father passed away, but he seems to have done really well.

So, here's what I think:

I think different people need different types of preaching.

I read the O.P. and I happen to agree with it.  That the original church is the true church.

But it can't be all condemnation.  It really turns a lot of people off.  It's the meat.  Not everyone can take the meat.

So I'd have to hear what SPECIFICALLY he does that is so detestable.

Fran

If you are having a hard time forgiving yourself of past sins, then I would say listen to Joel, yet Joel does not preach how sin separates us from God, that the only way to salvation is through Christ.  That makes him a really good distraction from what scripture tells us about salvation.  Keep busy about feeling good, it is in your control, and let life work itself out.  Sorry, I have listened to him for a few years myself just to understand what he does teach/preach.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

11 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Joel reminds me a lot of Norman Vincent Peale who preached The Power of Positive Thinking, a cult.  His goal is to help you feel good about yourself, which is why he is always positive and smiling.  He will not say an atheist will not go to heaven, or a Muslim.  His claim is that there are many ways to Jesus, which they are as we all come from different backgrounds, yet, if someone dies without being saved, they are lost.  Joel will not tell people that their sinful nature will keep them from God unless you repent and accept Jesus.  His claim is that he will not judge the salvation of others, yet he does not preach against sin, just how to feel good about yourself.  Left by ourselves, without Christ, do you think we will be with Him after death?

Hi OneLight

Actually we're not supposed to judge the salvation of others, only their behavior.  Only God knows who is saved and who is not.

What if some atheist accept Jesus just before dying?  We'd have to be very precise in language and say that if one dies in a lost state THEN he is lost.  It's diffiuclt enough to discuss stuff between us, believers, let alone on some TV program where time is limited.  He made a mistake I think.  I didn't hear it myself.  We are to forgive to be forgiven.

He said there are many ways to Jesus.  Did Allen King ask him how?  I'll bet he didn't.  See what I mean... it's not the right program for speaking about "religion".

§Fran

Just now, Yowm said:

Maybe you should go to Church where the pastor is accountable and turn off the TV.

Lol, yeah, find me one.

Oh, the Greek Orthodox has a good one down the street, just not my style of worship.

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So embrace the blessings and chuck the warnings?

Like I said, don't watch the 25 minute TV show.

Watch the 1 1/2 hrs. Lakewood church service found at Lakewood.com

Sorry I've been calling it Lakeland all this time.

There is a huge Lakeland church near where I live here in Florida.

Edited by White Rabbitt

Just now, Yowm said:

So embrace the blessings and chuck the warnings?

Yowm 

I don't want to be mean but wasn't it YOU in the OSAS thread that kept saying there aren't any warnings in the N.T. and we are saved forever?

Now you speak of warnings.  I don't get it.  If there are no warnings as to loss of salvation, why should he preach wanings??

Fran

1 minute ago, White Rabbitt said:

Like I said, don't watch the 25 minute TV show.

Watch the 1 1/2 hrs. Lakeland church service found at Lakeland.com

The Lakeland church is a very active church.  It reaches out to many different groups.

Many times Christians feel they have nowhere to go and no one to help.  I think Lakeland is good for this.

Also, the services are very uplifting and maybe after a hard week's work, some uplifting isn't such a bad idea.

I would like to know if he ever preaches anything negative, you know, like hell which someone mentioned.

Fran

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

I find in the early writings the Incarnation is definitely stressed but the message of the Cross is somewhat lacking. Perhaps the reason why works salvation took early root. Take a look at the Didache for example, it reads like the Book of Proverbs.

I know the Didache.

How does the book of Proverbs read?  What do you mean?

Fran