IGNORED

Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering to The Lord?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering  to The Lord?

I attend a Pentecostal/Charismatic church, and in the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches, we usually hear about rebuking demonic spirits that cause problems.  

However, I heard a Pentecostal/Charismatic pastor ( please watch:  https://youtu.be/gIjse3H9bNE?t=1200   ) 

mention that the following Ecclesiastes 10:1 verse suggests/hints/indicates that it is better Not to mention  anything about demonic spirits during prayer/fellowship/ministering:

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (NASB) Dead flies make a perfumer's oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor.

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (KJV) Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (NKJV) Dead flies putrefy the perfumer’s ointment, And cause it to give off a foul odor; So does a little folly to one respected for wisdom and honor.

Also, I personally noticed that I have a tendency to start blaming demonic spirits or even the devil/satan for some kind of sin that I committed when in reality, I should be blaming myself because my sin was caused by my flesh.

(My concern is that when we rebuke or mention demonic spirits or even the devil/satan in some kind 3rd person form when we pray to God then we are actually getting distracted from Jesus Christ Himself, and we want to stay focused on Jesus Christ, and Not get caught up and/or Not become obsessed with rebuking and/or being worried/concerted about demonic spirits and/or satan/devil)

Therefore, Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering  to The Lord?

Edited by bartmac123
adding tags

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

that's an interesting question.  When you are in prayer, my thoughts are that you are speaking with the Lord...    you might mention demons/spirits and/or the devil when you are asking the Lord to intervene in some way, but to include a conversation with the devil while talking with the Lord seems a little foolish to me.

Devils, demons and spirits should be rebuked directly to them in Jesus name, but prayers to Jesus would be for Him to do something and the demon should be "third party" and not included in the conversation, nor included in praying to the Lord.

my view

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I disabled the link, but someone persistent can still find it if they want to. Here is the thing, I have seen Benny Hinn (the guy in the video) over the years, talking about how Adam could fly, and even went to the moon. I have seen him swing his coat at people so they are "slain in the spirit and fall over as if in a faint (mind you I have had this experience, so I know that it is quite possible that these people are not pretending, but I cannot say that it is from God either), I see no real Biblical precedent for it. I have seen Mr. Hinn preach for years, the false and distracting prosperity gospel, while he raked in millions of dollars from his victims who were seduced by a spiritual lottery mentality.

I know that he has allegedly repented of that, but until I see long term fruit, and an effort to return all that money or donate it to a worthy cause, I will withhold anything remotely like endorsing him.  When Mr. Hinn's life looks like this:

5And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for I must stay at your house today.” 6So he hurried and came down and received him joyfully. 7And when they saw it, they all grumbled, “He has gone in to be the guest of a man who is a sinner.” 8And Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold.” 9And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. 10For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

then I will cut him some slack. For now I am skeptical. I am not saying that no one ever came to the Lord after listening to his preaching. To be clear, I am just saying that his track record of sound teaching is not a good one.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Not saying my way is the best way but I avoid it myself, just for probably different reasons than the pastor. I, as a human being, can never say with 100% accuracy that a given thing is the work of demons or not. I can only make sometimes educated guesses. Regardless of that God is in control. He can allow us to be tested and He can shut that down quick. So I focus my prayers on God's control over the situation and how the situation is making me feel. If I feel like I'm about to collapse emotionally or that I'm having financial difficulties with looming consequences, I say so and trust God to understand the finer points that are in play. Then He handles it on His own time.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 9/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, bartmac123 said:

Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering  to The Lord

Jesus promised that where two or three are gathered in his name, there he would be.

Why would demons etc willingly be in the presence of a Glorified Jesus?

If it worries you then pray for the Lord's protection durring that quite time before a service starts, or even before you leave home.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 9/26/2020 at 6:47 AM, bartmac123 said:

Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering  to The Lord?

It would vary apparent to whether the particular denomination is open or even is receptive of the deliverance ministry. Few I've seen even though they practice the casting out of evil spirits are fully capable of adequately carrying out the responsibility of administering laying on of hands in doing so. It's a little disappointing to see inept ministering of deliverance. 

Many have a tendency towards sensationalism, not being thoroughly following through. All this aside, some don't feel this sort of thing even exists in the Christian church body and even believe it is unscriptural. Missionaries ministering in foreign lands know better. Evil spirits certainly do exist. They are present in the church but not always openly. 

I attend a Pentecostal/Charismatic church, and in the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches, we usually hear about rebuking demonic spirits that cause problems. 

It's common to see what's been discerned as, "religious spirits". They commonly cause disruptions during services. Calling out, screaming, contorting, and other means of uncontrolled bodily movements are indications of these demonic entities. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

However, I heard a Pentecostal/Charismatic pastor ( please watch:  https://youtu.be/gIjse3H9bNE?t=1200   ) 

mention that the following Ecclesiastes 10:1 verse suggests/hints/indicates that it is better Not to mention  anything about demonic spirits during prayer/fellowship/ministering:

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (NASB) Dead flies make a perfumer's oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor.

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (KJV) Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.

(Ecclesiastes 10:1) (NKJV) Dead flies putrefy the perfumer’s ointment, And cause it to give off a foul odor; So does a little folly to one respected for wisdom and honor.

Also, I personally noticed that I have a tendency to start blaming demonic spirits or even the devil/satan for some kind of sin that I committed when in reality, I should be blaming myself because my sin was caused by my flesh.

Therefore, Is it Better to Avoid rebuking or even mentioning demonic spirits or even the devil/satan during prayer/fellowship/ministering  to The Lord?

Use Adolf Hitler as an example. Were we better off ignoring him or defending ourself from him? How long could you ignore a man who tried to exterminate one race and enslave the others?

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Spending time with God should not be thought of as a ritual, or chore. It is relationship; fellowship with our Heavenly Father. There are no rules - just time spent with Him. We should therefore be cautious about approaching God as a formula. If, while spending time with God, the Holy Spirit prompts you to rebuke a demon - then that is what you do.

God is merciful and gracious and wants to spend time with us. Don't over-think it. Even if you make a mistake in prayer, God may correct you in love, but He won't condemn you.

We serve a big, big God. Mention of demons won't affect Him. Just don't make them your primary focus either.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

A pastor once said every time the devil reminds you of your past

remind him of his future.

I definitely discourage taking on spirits...

Jude 9 (AV)
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

True we are children of God with the Spirit of Christ living in us... but if an archangel does not get into with the devil...

If demonic oppression is unavoidable, take the pastors advice and begin quoting / reading aloud Revelation 20:10

Revelation 20:10 (AV)
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Sing praises to Jesus and God in general.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

If the underlying cause of the cautionary rebuke is fear, this is not of the Lord. God is not the author of fear.

If it is seen as a way to clean the house before engaging in prayer, this is not a requirement of scripture and might be an unnecessary preparation..

If you for some unusual reason feel the need to do this because there is overwhelming evidence of demonic oppression or if you are coming into a territory known as a place of demons, then in that case it's probably called for to pray for protection against them. The best course is to always ask God to rebuke the evil as in the Lord's prayer " deliver us from evil". That says a lot in only a few words. This asks Yahweh to help instead of  going to the evil first and using God's name. The less you are directly involved with this the better.

If they aren't around, why bring them up? Might be asking for more trouble. NO MAN has ANY power other than the power that Christ gives them over demons. Pulling the authority chain with demons because it makes a person feel important might have one of them asking another, " look at that pathetic little Christian over there, let's go see how much faith he really has".