• Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,314
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎5‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:59 AM, Spock said:

Greetings brethren,

My reading of God's word this morning made me pause at this passage in 1 Cor 6:

9Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with mena 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

My two questions are simply this:

1. Do you see this passage as a salvation issue - won't make it into Heaven- or do you see this as a rewards issue - won't inherit any rewards?  

2. And my follow up question is this: Paul said in verse 11, "and that is what some of you were....."  What exactly is he saying here? For example, is he saying you were once a GREEDY PERSON, but since you accepted Christ into your life, you are no longer a GREEDY PERSON, even though you still may be GREEDY?  

I will not share my thinking now for fear of tainting your thoughts. Thanks. 

Blessings, 

spock

Hi spock,

Lots of good discussion here, bro. Now my NKJ says - `unrighteous,` not `wrongdoers.` As Yowm said our righteousness is in Christ. Thus as we journey, as believers, through life`s ups and downs, trials and temptations, we grow to be like Christ, as we follow the Lord, by His Holy Spirit. If we are being led by our own passions and wants, then at the end of our life, then we are `unrighteous,` not in Christ`s righteousness.

It has to do with the motivation of the heart. Of course as believers we will have wrong behaviours brought to our attention, (as gdemoss said), but that is the learning process, the practice. We really can`t judge another for some `sins` are more obvious than others, but the Holy Spirit is working with us till the day we die.

I think having a list and how many times people do such & such, is not for our judging. We discern bad behaviour and try to help that person learn of the Holy Spirit to overcome.

regards, Marilyn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,533
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/4/2017 at 10:59 AM, Spock said:

Greetings brethren,

My reading of God's word this morning made me pause at this passage in 1 Cor 6:

9Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with mena 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

My two questions are simply this:

1. Do you see this passage as a salvation issue - won't make it into Heaven- or do you see this as a rewards issue - won't inherit any rewards?  

2. And my follow up question is this: Paul said in verse 11, "and that is what some of you were....."  What exactly is he saying here? For example, is he saying you were once a GREEDY PERSON, but since you accepted Christ into your life, you are no longer a GREEDY PERSON, even though you still may be GREEDY? 

1. This passage is separating believers from nonbelievers.

2. To sum it up, Paul is saying that believers are no longer under the law but under grace. Nonbelievers are given names such as..

1. evildoers -- 6. sinful -- 11. godless people
2. wrongdoers -- 7. unholy -- 12. wicked people
3. lawbreakers -- 8. irreligious -- 13. dogs
4. rebels -- 9. false prophets -- 14. fools
5. ungodly -- 10. false teachers

Matt 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

1 Cor 6:9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

1 Tim 1:9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,

2 Pet 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

Rom 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness,

Rev 22:15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Psa 14:1 For the director of music. Of David. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  6

Wow!  I come home to see these last five posts filled with great wisdom and appropriate scriptures to consider.  I'm overwhelmed with this response.

THANK YOU ALL!  I now have a lot to reread and mull over. 

I may have to pray differently for my  neighbors: the homosexuals who attend a liberal Christian church and this sweet young "Christian" couple who live together out of wedlock. 

Spock

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  272

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

Wow!  I come home to see these last five posts filled with great wisdom and appropriate scriptures to consider.  I'm overwhelmed with this response.

THANK YOU ALL!  I now have a lot to reread and mull over. 

I may have to pray differently for my  neighbors: the homosexuals who attend a liberal Christian church and this sweet young "Christian" couple who live together out of wedlock. 

Spock

Hi spock,

Just a note. Those who are `living together out of wedlock,` are actually `married,` joined together. Remember way back all they had to do was go into the `tent` & consummate the marriage. It is only over the past few centuries that governments have required people to register their marriage. So...this would start a whole new thread, but something to think upon.

Happy reading, & thanks for starting this good thread. Marilyn.

2 hours ago, Happinessity said:

I think when someone who is looking to be saved finds their calling to Jesus and does so, and yet they remain as they were before changing nothing about themselves except for the self title of Christian, that they are not actually redeemed in Christ. Because we are reborn when we are baptized and we are then washed clean of our old or former sinner self. God remembers our sins of that old self no longer. And those sins are washed clean by the blood of Christ on the cross. That was his mission to earth. To take the sins of the world upon himself on the cross. And whosoever believes in him will not then perish to their sins but will have everlasting life. Such is the promise, the covenant, for which Christ died. 

Hebrews 10:26-27 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

"No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him." 1John 3:6

These are not the backsliding Christians I mentioned before. Those who are in Christ and then for some reason leave to do their own thing contrary to righteous actions. We're saved. We have but to repent and be sincere of heart so that we return ourselves to the place of faith God's grace called us to. It isn't that Jesus opens his hand and throws us away if we as a sincere repentant Christian fall away. No one can remove us from his hand. We can't even jump. 

But we can think we have been released from Jesus care if we backslide. And I think that is why the parable of the prodigal son returning home is so important here. Because it tells us that our father will always welcome us back . 

While those who just go through the motions not truly sincere of heart in accepting God's grace and instead assume the label of Christian without a sincere repentance and change in themselves as the redeemed in Christ are not actually in Christ. Which I believe is what the verse in 1st John 2:19.They went out from us but they were not of us, for if they had been of us, they would have remained; but they went out from us to disclose that they were not of us.

We are in Christ as the redeemed by the grace of God. Where can we go that Christ and God would not know his own? Even if we strayed, God knows our heart. And welcomes us home with celebration when we repent of where we've been. 

Wow!  I'm speechless after reading this post Happ!!!!!!!! 

Your "new man" in Christ reference hit me hard.  It reminded me of my life!!!!!  How could I forget!  When I became born again, do you know what the first thing I did? I told my live-in gf that she had to move out, this relationship doesn't please God, and that we can't live like this anymore.  She then said to me, "If we ain't having sex, then I will be happy to leave!" Lol

You are spot on!  The HS moved in me to promote His will, not my will.  Heck, I'm sure "my will" probably would have still wanted my gf but I now remember how much I wanted to please God much more than please myself. So, if the HS did that to me, I'm sure (if he were present) he would do the same to others (my neighbors).  

Your scripture verses and PRODIGAL SON reference was mouth opening for me as I read it. Wow! You tied that in BEAUTIFULLY to show how someone in the family is always in the family and God is patiently waiting for them to return. 

I cant thank you enough for that post. I absolutely believe the HS used that post to clear my thoughts of any clutter or bias I may have had. And then the next 3-4 posts by Marilyn, Shiloh, Hebrews 13:8 confirmed it.  ("Where two or more witnesses gather in my name....")

Blessings going out to you my brother or sister in Christ. 

spock

16 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi spock,

Just a note. Those who are `living together out of wedlock,` are actually `married,` joined together. Remember way back all they had to do was go into the `tent` & consummate the marriage. It is only over the past few centuries that governments have required people to register their marriage. So...this would start a whole new thread, but something to think upon.

Happy reading, & thanks for starting this good thread. Marilyn.

Wait a minute here, Marilyn. 

I lived with three women, about 2 years each before I got saved and subsequently married. Are you saying I have been married four times?  If so, I'm glad they didn't know and sue me for alimony. 

Edited by Spock

Just now, Spock said:

Wait a minute here, Marilyn. 

I lived with three women, about 2 years each before I got saved and subsequently married. Are you saying I have been married four times?

I would say yes.

1 minute ago, Marilyn C said:

I would say yes.

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone......especially my present wife!  ?

Just now, Spock said:

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone......especially my present wife!  ?

All`s mum with me.....gone in the depths of God`s forgetfulness.

Now here is a comment from `Grace thr faith,` site. (Jack Kelley & his wife) They say -

According to my research, marriage licenses originated in England in the 1500s. They were originally intended as a shortcut that simplified the marriage formality but also became a revenue source for the church. Prior to that all marriages were what we would call common law marriages. This type of marriage is still routine in many parts of the world and requires only that the two people must agree that they are married, live together, and present themselves before God and the community as husband and wife, just like people did for the first 4500 years of human existence. These days the marriage license is also used as a legal document for community property and estate purposes.

So the marriage license is a document devised by man, not God. The existence of one doesn’t necessarily constitute a marriage in His sight, and neither does the absence of one disqualify it. It’s what’s in our heart that counts with Him.

Interesting, ay? Marilyn.

7 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

All`s mum with me.....gone in the depths of God`s forgetfulness.

Now here is a comment from `Grace thr faith,` site. (Jack Kelley & his wife) They say -

According to my research, marriage licenses originated in England in the 1500s. They were originally intended as a shortcut that simplified the marriage formality but also became a revenue source for the church. Prior to that all marriages were what we would call common law marriages. This type of marriage is still routine in many parts of the world and requires only that the two people must agree that they are married, live together, and present themselves before God and the community as husband and wife, just like people did for the first 4500 years of human existence. These days the marriage license is also used as a legal document for community property and estate purposes.

So the marriage license is a document devised by man, not God. The existence of one doesn’t necessarily constitute a marriage in His sight, and neither does the absence of one disqualify it. It’s what’s in our heart that counts with Him.

Interesting, ay? Marilyn.

Having been a lawyer, I was aware of common law marriages, but we never held ourself out as husband and wife. No joint bank account, used our own names, separate property, no children, and definitely no testimony to anyone that "we are married."

okay, back to one wife again! Phew! And to think today is our anniversary date.....