• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Penance comes from the Priest. It's at his discretion. Generally it'll be a psalm or or scriputre that is relevant to what you confessed. Having a regular confessor is good because they can customize it more to your faith walk. 

Like preachers, some are better than others. I've had the "Say 3 our fathers and 3 Hail Mary's"

What the penance is, is less important than humbling yourself before God, asking for forgiveness and his mercy. We ourselves can never atone for what we've done. But we see in scripture when the prophet Nathan goes to David because of what he did with Bethsheba ( forgive spelling). We see David repent and Nathan telling him that he's forgiven.  But than something else happens. There is a consequence for his sin, he's told that his son will die. Thank goodness penance today is not that severe. 

You may know this, but for those that were not brought up Catholic. Forgiveness is NOT depandant upon penance. Your sins are forgiven BEFORE penance is given. 

Making dinner for gf was a nice touch. Glad to hear the priests are evolving since my time with them in the 60s. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

"The Shining One" always appears as "a nice touch" , tempting always to accept what he says instead of what God says as in "Did God say ?" ....

8 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

You man may know this,  but penance is man's tradition opposed to YHWH'S WORD (SCRIPTURE).

Even if it is a man made thing, does that make it sinful?  

You have to admit, this is a humbling thing to do- confess sins to someone else.  Many believers probably don't even confess to God, let alone a fellow man. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

5 minutes ago, Spock said:

You have to admit, this is a humbling thing to do- confess sins to someone else.  Many believers probably don't even confess to God, let alone a fellow man. 

Yes, it does, as it is written "whatever is born of flesh is flesh, and profits nothing",  so when it is used as it is to trick, to oppress, and to abuse many people (men, women, girls and boys) ,  ....

even more so....

A lot of sinners (billions of them)  try that "loophole" before God and before men --- look at those others sinning ,   don't look at my sin ....  since they sin,   my sin is not important /or/ I don't have to repent /or/ it doesn't matter since everyone else is sinning the same or worse...

If someone is a true believer, immersed in Jesus Name, born again,  they DO as the FATHER ABBA YHWH says DO,  daily, all the time.

learning as Jesus' disciples to live as He Says,  in line with,  obediently in HARMONY with all of YHWH'S WORD,

Guest shiloh357
7 minutes ago, Spock said:

We are commanded to confess our faults, not our sins, to other people.  We confess our sins to the Lord and He cleanses our conscience.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 minutes ago, Spock said:

Just noticed Spock -looks like he is throwing a four finger change-up or palm ball.  My Rays might be able to use him, we are desperate for relief pitching.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

This thread is a great in the compilation of responses giving answer by example to the OP question itself. 

42 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

We are commanded to confess our faults, not our sins, to other people.  We confess our sins to the Lord and He cleanses our conscience.

16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.  James 5

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1

Shiloh, are you absolutely sure we have to confess to God only?  It seems to me God loves humility, and confessing sin to one another seems like a good thing to me, even if not directly to God.  

Disclaimer: I'm not sure what the RCC beliefs are when one confesses their sin to a priest. Is God involved? Or does God trust solely in his representative, the priest? 

Edited by Spock

Guest shiloh357
12 minutes ago, Spock said:

16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.  James 5

The Greek word used  for "sins"  in that verse is parapoptomata and is not the word for sins (hamartias).   Parapoptomata refers to faults or areas where we struggle, weaknesses, and so on.  It's a matter of sharing our needs in spiritual areas in our walk with the Lord. 

The KJV gets the word right when it translates parapoptomata as "faults."

Just now, shiloh357 said:

The Greek word used  for "sins"  in that verse is parapoptomata and is not the word for sins (hamartias).   Parapoptomata refers to faults or areas where we struggle, weaknesses, and so on.  It's a matter of sharing our needs in spiritual areas in our walk with the Lord. 

Hey Shiloh, I edited my post when I found a second scripture applicable to confessing (I always try to reference more than one)

I'd love to read your thoughts on that scripture reference too. Thanks for your insight on this one.