Ecumenism: "Why Can't We Be Friends?"

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

It seems those are some good arguments for filioque, but reality is the creed was long ago carved in the steps of the Vatican without the filioque.

The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. With the Father and the son he is worshipped and glorified.

Perhaps we need Flo from Progressive at Protestant services to pass out bulletins containing the creed, because frankly I have seen it both ways at Episcopal and Methodist services, with filioque and without.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

1 minute ago, Episcopius said:

It seems those are some good arguments for filioque, but reality is the creed was long ago carved in the steps of the Vatican without the filioque.

The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. With the Father and the son he is worshipped and glorified.

Perhaps we need Flo from Progressive at Protestant services to pass out bulletins containing the creed, because frankly I have seen it both ways at Episcopal and Methodist services, with filioque and without.

May I ask what you mean by “but reality is the creed was long ago carved in the steps of the Vatican without the filioque”? 

I mean the creed was carved in stone, sans filioque, in Vatican steps before filioque was added much later.

• Brilliant! 1

Just now, Episcopius said:

I mean the creed was carved in stone, sans filioque, in Vatican steps before filioque was added much later.

What do you think of Filioque? Are Easterners right (no-Filioque), or are The Westeners right? Are they bith right, looking at the same diamond from seperate sides? 

I am personally no-filioque.

It's not earth-shattering, but East is right, IMO.

I am Methodist, my son has been Greek Orthodox for a few years now.

I once dubbed myself as ECUMENICAL LOOSE CANON, as a pun on how the scope of Scripture is different among Prots, Cathies and Orthos.

The Greek-only parts of Daniel have a tale of Daniel being in the lion's den A WHOLE WEEK, and being brought food by Habakukk ( who actually lived a century before the date presented for the lion's den )

I pay attention to deutero-canonical books/parts - but cannot swallow a week-long stay in the lion's den - and Habakkuk resurrected to deliver stew, nahh, come on, man!

23 minutes ago, Episcopius said:

I am personally no-filioque.

It's not earth-shattering, but East is right, IMO.

I am Methodist, my son has been Greek Orthodox for a few years now.

I once dubbed myself as ECUMENICAL LOOSE CANON, as a pun on how the scope of Scripture is different among Prots, Cathies and Orthos.

The Greek-only parts of Daniel have a tale of Daniel being in the lion's den A WHOLE WEEK, and being brought food by Habakukk ( who actually lived a century before the date presented for the lion's den )

I pay attention to deutero-canonical books/parts - but cannot swallow a week-long stay in the lion's den - and Habakkuk resurrected to deliver stew, nahh, come on, man!

I remain Pro-Filioque mainly because of John 20:21-22, “So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” But I am intrigued by the Eastern non-filioque view. 

Ah the deutercanonical books. There is a reason they arn’t canon in Protestant Churches. Your find about Hakukkah being a reason they are doubted. 

Have you read any of extra-canonical books the Oriental, Ethiopic, and Syrian Orthodox have like: 

III Corinthians

Revelation of Peter? 

I read both, and frankly III Corinthians is intriguing because it had Paul affirming The Nativity and Birth of Christ. If it is authentic it woukd have been a good addition to our 66 Canon because it supports Matthew 1 and Luke 2. 

The Revelation of Peter feels like late medieval document, it is like mini-Inferno composed by Dante in style that does not allign with anything in The New Testament. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

I somehow lost a whole post...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

3 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Ecumenism means many different things, see OP. :mgqueen:

Then they need to be classified and defined. 

I hate to admit it but Ive been around a spell and have been in many churches in over thirty five years This is not social distancing.  So you need to classify and define what kind of ecumenism is needed and and clarify it.:39:

Do you know what one world religion is? Do you know what church is pushing for that? And if you do know would you think this would be a good thing. Do you know what globalism is? 

This is the epitome of all the is ecumenical. Who is Jesus coming back for. Does he have a favorite church denom, and what did Jesus mean when he said not all who say Lord Lord will enter into the kingdom 

Edited by Mike Mclees

31 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

Then they need to be classified and defined. 

I hate to admit it but Ive been around a spell and have been in many churches in over thirty five years This is not social distancing.  So you need to classify and define what kind of ecumenism is needed and and clarify it.:39:

Do you know what one world religion is? Do you know what church is pushing for that? And if you do know would you think this would be a good thing. Do you know what globalism is? 

This is the epitome of all the is ecumenical. Who is Jesus coming back for. Does he have a favorite church denom, and what did Jesus mean when he said not all who say Lord Lord will enter into the kingdom 

The clarity of what ecumenism I’ve been supporting is in Poat 1, page 1. I refer you there. I also suggest the last three to five pages of the discussions here. 

Ecumenism is not The One World Religion, at least not the  kind I am endorsing. While it is true there is interfaith ecumenism, which can make people assume all ecumenism is cross-religion or pan-religious, but the real ecumenism is only between the members of Christ’s body in different denominations. It is the desire of Christ forcHis body to be united (John 17:20-23). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

47 minutes ago, Episcopius said:

I somehow lost a whole post...

It got lost? hmm.. what did it say?