• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Is it wrong to question God? 

We are told we should question the Spirits, does this include God's?

If I should not question God how am I to get to really know him?

I question God all the time. I am constantly looking for answers to a variety of questions. I think that's how we grow. Knock and the door will be opened. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

We should not question God unless we are genuinely interested in His answer. He may not answer the question the way we want Him to.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,587
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 5/20/2017 at 1:46 AM, notsolostsoul said:

Guess it depends on what is meant by questioning God?   Isaiah 1 tells of reasoning with God. Job 2 tells us of accepting  bad as well as good from God and who are we to question His authority. 

God has indeed foreknown and predestined those that are His. To question, are we his, might be a really wise thing to do, but to question God as to His authority, might lead  to many a hard lesson for one  to learn; or worse yet to suffer for having tried to deny God His sovereignty.

It is best to start with a healthy fear and respect of His total sovereignty.  Wish I had much sooner than I did.

16 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Guess it depends on what is meant by questioning God?   Isaiah 1 tells of reasoning with God. Job 2 tells us of accepting  bad as well as good from God and who are we to question His authority. 

God has indeed foreknown and predestined those that are His. To question, are we his, might be a really wise thing to do, but to question God as to His authority, might lead  to many a hard lesson for one  to learn; or worse yet to suffer for having tried to deny God His sovereignty.

It is best to start with a healthy fear and respect of His total sovereignty.  Wish I had much sooner than I did.

Oh not to question his authority, but to question him to get to know him. 

Along of the lines of: God what is fair? What is right? Why do good people suffer? Things like that. Questions to get to understand and know him better.

Thank you! 

Edited by notsolostsoul

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/20/2017 at 0:46 AM, notsolostsoul said:

Question the spirits (or test / try them) is to find out IF they are from God or not (including the Holy Spirit who is God).

This is not to question God once you've established it's actually him.

But...

God is not so thin skinned (so to speak) to get his feelings hurt by our inability to temporarily (or permanently on lesser issues) get our intelligence on board with his.

(which is what disagreeing with God actually is)... reality / truth / fact are on his side...

Be honest with God. He already knows anyway. 99.99% of confession to God our sins is being honest with God about what he already knows... and in so doing, we are honest with ourselves.

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Question the spirits (or test / try them) is to find out IF they are from God or not (including the Holy Spirit who is God).

This is not to question God once you've established it's actually him.

But...

God is not so thin skinned (so to speak) to get his feelings hurt by our inability to temporarily (or permanently on lesser issues) get our intelligence on board with his.

(which is what disagreeing with God actually is)... reality / truth / fact are on his side...

Be honest with God. He already knows anyway. 99.99% of confession to God our sins is being honest with God about what he already knows... and in so doing, we are honest with ourselves.

Thank you! I agreed with this 100.

I have even brought my anger to him along with the shame after and he has shown me in scripture where I wasn't the first and that he understands. 

He is definitely patient with me and I am definitely handful, as well as hard headed but he still works with me.

I am truly Grateful.

Thank you agian.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

6 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

Thank you! I agreed with this 100.

I have even brought my anger to him along with the shame after and he has shown me in scripture where I wasn't the first and that he understands. 

He is definitely patient with me and I am definitely handful, as well as hard headed but he still works with me.

I am truly Grateful.

Thank you agian.

:)

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

3 hours ago, notsolostsoul said:

Along of the lines of: God what is fair? What is right? Why do good people suffer? Things like that. Questions to get to understand and know him better.

Thank you! 

Hi notsolostsoul,

I believe you should be asking God lots of questions. We are the students and He is our teacher. I like to think of us being in `the school of the Spirit.` When I was younger I used to write in my books, `the school of the Holy Spirit.` I would write a key phrase that was highlighted for me in my reading, & scriptures relating, I would write comments on thoughts I had & perhaps a song that came to mind, etc. then over the months and years I would notice some topics emerging and realised that God was teaching me (us) and that we need to pay more attention to what His topic is and not always us leading the questions, (if you know what I mean).  

all the best, Marilyn.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,587
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, notsolostsoul said:

Thank you! 

Hi, Yes I  believe I understand the framing of your  initial post. I have been addressing in general the subject.

BUT, do I  personally  ask God to be fair? I don't think that would be wise for me at least. I do not want fair, for if I am to get what I deserve I am in major eternal trouble. More than trouble, I am doomed. So fair is not a concern of mine, instead I celebrate in  deep appreciation that God is not fair He is perfect, and cannot, will not abide flaw nor sin, period. And yet, He alone has reconciled  who He will to Him so that  I personally may be certain in my own hope of spending eternity to come with Him, As saint in Jesus the Christ.

So fair? No siree, don't give me fair! Nor would I want to demand, nor question of God His fairness with anyone else either. For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. No one, none  are perfect, which is His Holy standard, perfection only.

I accept that God will not and in fact cannot abide anything short of perfection for He is Glory itself, perfection. I am in awe that He has solution at hand in Himself to reconcile the issue of my being a sin filled soul and corrupted body, made acceptable in His sight by His sacrifice his paying the deficiency that is me.-by, The Holy Blood of Christ Jesus being shed in my own place. Amazing!

So no I will not question God of His fairness, His perfection. I will simply be humble and trembling in my appreciation beyond the capacity of my words that it is so.  And how do I know this?- God took special care for me to know, as I was a hardhead, a tough case, a resister of His word, His love, His Holiness. Yet, He turned me about in a near twinkling, a whirl that  could only be of God and of God alone. Yes I do have the Holy Spirit, God within me. I  see evidence of it in my sucesses and my  awful failures. He is within. I get scolded, I  suffer, and yet I am lifted to highs beyond any  known to me  in any other thing of  life.

May you have joy in our Lord  and satisfaction in His Glory, appreciating the awesomeness that leads to questions- can this be, can it be so Glorious that it need not be fair, in fact it can't be. For fair would not be miraculous at all, it would only be adherence to  the standard of fallen  man in his world of relativity of good versus evil, where man judges if there is enough good to merit out weighing the evil within. God surpasses all that. He totally  obliterates it demanding by His nature perfection and then perfecting  His own in His sight by the shed blood of Jesus washing the saints white as snow.  

Edited by Neighbor
SOME CORRECTING OF PUNCTUATION