Reality Bubbles

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

This is about so much more than just who we hang out with.  It is about where we get our information and our knowledge, where we spend our time and what we are doing with that time.  For many people the bubble of those things gets smaller and smaller as time goes by as their entire life is guided by their preferences alone. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

4 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

If the only people you are every around are those that are already saved, there is not much witnessing to be done. 

True

Guest shiloh357
28 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You're right many didn't continue following Him, but neither did He run after them afterwards to be in their bubble.

One of the biggest forms of misinformation  I have seen about the life of Jesus is that he hung out with the sinners and the prostitutes and so on.   The Bible doesn't say that.   He was accessible to them, but Jesus did not make them his friends.   His friends were his inner circle of disciples.    Jesus never associated, as friends, with sinners and scoffers.   He preached to them and extended the Gospel of the Kingdom to them.   Many Christians justify going to places like bars under the assumption that those are the kinds of places Jesus would to, if He were here, and that is absolutely false and based on a false narrative.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,435
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Lately i have been looking at some youtube videos on how foreigners live and survive in China and is seeing a bit of the country in that way also.  Now this is what i call bursting the bubble.  There are two guys who have been living there, ended up marrying chinese women and is now showing the world a different view of how the world sees China travelling on motorcycles.   Most people stay in their bubble as it is their comfort zone and stepping out is like taking risk, which is true, but to what extent.  Some has been burned by trying new and different things and return to  their cubicle, and others are just afraid.   It's life and we are not the same size chip of the wood block.

So I agree we need to be in the world not of the world.  No one lights a lamp and the puts a shade over.  All that stuff.  So i think getting out and being with other people not only enlarges our bubble but in may enlarge theirs too.  It's a win win situation.  

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

One of the biggest forms of misinformation  I have seen about the life of Jesus is that he hung out with the sinners and the prostitutes and so on.   The Bible doesn't say that.   He was accessible to them, but Jesus did not make them his friends.   His friends were his inner circle of disciples.    Jesus never associated, as friends, with sinners and scoffers.   He preached to them and extended the Gospel of the Kingdom to them.   Many Christians justify going to places like bars under the assumption that those the kinds of places Jesus would to, if He were here, and that is absolutely false and based on a false narrative.

What about Mary Magdalene

Guest shiloh357
Just now, da_man1974 said:

What about Mary Magdalene

Mary Magdeline was converted after Jesus cast 7 demons out of her.  She became a follower and a friend of Jesus AFTER that, not before.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

13 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

Lately i have been looking at some youtube videos on how foreigners live and survive in China and is seeing a bit of the country in that way also.  Now this is what i call bursting the bubble.  There are two guys who have been living there, ended up marrying chinese women and is now showing the world a different view of how the world sees China travelling on motorcycles.   Most people stay in their bubble as it is their comfort zone and stepping out is like taking risk, which is true, but to what extent.  Some has been burned by trying new and different things and return to  their cubicle, and others are just afraid.   It's life and we are not the same size chip of the wood block.

That is bursting the bubble! 

And well said over all also, thanks for the reply!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I heard a fascinating segment on NPR this morning while driving to work later than normal.  The discussion was about “reality bubbles”, that each of us live in, and how over time for most people the bubble gets smaller and smaller.

The longer a bubble goes without additional input the smaller and smaller it gets and the less the person sees of reality outside of their bubble.  

If this (OP) is meant to try and not stagnate, to get out and  see new places,  ck out a new diner, meet a new neighbor, visit a friends church, put on my left shoe first, get involved, read a new book,  great. (Another reason I'm here at Worthy), and those of us  with a little OCD might resist a little.  I did not see the NPR show, and I tend to take info off public TV, the experts,  with a grain of salt, or say, suspect. So I looked up "Reality Bubble" The gist of what I've read indicates we NEED TO EXPAND our ensconced belief systems, our  establish or settled,  in a comfortable, safe, or secret place.  To look beyond our current beliefs, explore new ideas and realities. I don't know if I want to look around too much out there for any of these new "ideas", belief systems. It took me a lot of years to get my act together, or should I say, for my Lord to draw me to the truth. Yes. I'm comfortable where I'm at, physically and spiritually. God be praised, it took a lot of years/work. I pray daily for enthusiasm. And energy.  (En Theo - ‘possessed by God, inspired’ ) I've worked all my life, desire no full time retirement, and will stay active as long as God allows.  Sharing the good news is a priority, as is simply trying to be a blessing, no matter how small, to someone today. God has called me to be, husband, father, bread winner, church body member, called out one, carpenter, friend, buss boy. I am exceedingly fortunate and comfortable  in my present "Life style" (bubble)..........see below

Keeping Your "Reality Bubble" Permeable

Every one of us have developed belief systems based on certain data-sets from Guru's, Channelers, Contactee's, "Whistleblowers" and Researchers. All of these people are fallible human beings who's info is only as accurate as their chosen sources.

If we say we are discerning, but basing or comparing information to our ensconced belief systems (rejecting anything that conflicts), we are deceiving ourselves. For our discernment filters to work correctly and truly they must also be permeable and allow new information to pass through to be filtered. Do not get caught up in enlightenment traps of the theologies and philosophies of others... No matter how well-intention ed they may be. You are responsible for your own growth and journey. Locking yourself into a belief system and then defending it from anything that conflicts with it, or makes you uncomfortable, will prevent you from evolving any further and make you dependent on another human or being who may have been mislead.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

3 hours ago, Running Gator said:

Thank goodness the original 11 disciples choose to not stay within their bubble, or nobody would have ever heard of Jesus outside of a few people.

Most were driven out of their comfort zones due to the destruction of Jerusalem.