notsolostsoul

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Did Jesus teach that we should hate anyone?

Isn't it "hate the sin not the sinner"?

Or as Christians do we have the right to choose who to hate (gays, religion, race etc....), or judge?

In hating or judging others, aren't we committing sin ourselves?

Edited by notsolostsoul
edited to not mean only gays but all differences, or lifestyles.

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Because we don't approve of someone's lifestyle, that doesn't mean we hate them, but that is how the world takes the meaning of hate.

True!!!

So in this disapproval do we get to treat them differently from how we treat others we approve of? Should we?

Oh I only wrote gays as an example. It can be replaced with anyone we disapprove of. Muslims, Catholics, drug users, etc..... 

Edited by notsolostsoul

2 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

You begin the thread with a false premise.  That saying that homosexuality is sin equates with "hate."  This is a false comparison every time someone uses it.

As Christians, we do not have the right to hate anyone, no matter what they do.  But it is not hate, and it is not wrong to point sin out.  We are supposed to do that, just not in a hypocritical way.  That is one of the requirements of being a Christian.

Sorry if it seemed to be a false premise. I should have left it general and not written in (gay). I only did as an example. This could be race, religion or anything else. I see hate occur in many aspects of life and I see many "Christians" say it's in pointing out sin but their behavior is more of hate.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

The saying " not in my backyard " come to mind.   As long as things are happening elsewhere or not to me, or does not affect me, love or hate is not tested to the utmost.   I use the word "me" , not to say myslef per say, but man in  general.   An example.  Let's say a tragedy take place in the family and a muslim man committed the crime, does your feelings for your neighbor changes or does resentment sets in.  It is a hypothetical situation, but how do we come to term with these things.   I think, the word and meaning of forgiveness has to be understood and placed in our lives at an early stage and passed on as it shown in the scripture. 

Judge , we do everyday.  How you use it to reference something or someone is the call.   If someone comes preaching another gospel to you, you have to make a decision, you can say you are test the spirit, but in effect you are making a judgement call on how to discern  the situation.  Judging, is a  word used to easily and has to be narrowed to the specific point.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

No, we aren't supposed to hate anyone. That's the honest simple answer. Consider that Jesus said to love your enemies. If the Lord wants us to love enemies then who can you hate. No one.

There are also practical reasons for this. Emotions like hate will make your body get sick given enough time. If you have a family and you carry hate around you will be miserable and it will spill over onto them. Ever walk into the house of a person who's loaded with hate? I have. I can feel it. But you might just sense that everyone is tense. What to do about hate is another issue. But your answer is no.

40 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Well there are practical considerations. Do you assign a doubly convicted thief to guard the Queen's jewels? That to some would be discrimination to bar the thief from that position.

Lol.

Yes we should use judgement in our selections for such circumstances, but I'm speaking of certain treatment of others because they live differently. Out-casting them or refusing them.

Ex. Some churches refuse gays.

Some refuse smelly homeless. Some refuse because of the way some dress. 

When does it stop being disapproval and becomes hate or judging?

Guess it falls in the definition of the words Hate or Judging.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

33 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

Lol.

Yes we should use judgement in our selections for such circumstances, but I'm speaking of certain treatment of others because they live differently. Out-casting them or refusing them.

When does it stop being disapproval and becomes hate or judging?

Guess it falls in the definition of the words Hate or Judging.

Your above examples has to be taken on a one and one situation and not generalized as each situation may be different.   Well, yes, you can take a smelly homeless person and place him to sit in the pews among the congregation and everyone would be just fine. No they won't and i am sure the deacons or ushers would make alternative arrangements to accommodate that person as they would have experienced these situations before.   As for gays, the church would have a rule of conduct  and  statements of faith  that they would have to oblige with.   Never been to a church where someone was refused because of inappropriate dress.  Common sense has to prevail too.  You have to have some  order or chaos would take place and church would become a playground, a nursery, or choose.    

Edited by warrior12

Thank you guys for all your replies. They were all helpful. Most of My questions were answered.

1 hour ago, notsolostsoul said:

Did Jesus teach that we should hate anyone?

No

21 minutes ago, JTC said:

Consider that Jesus said to love your enemies. If the Lord wants us to love enemies then who can you hate. No one.

1 hour ago, Cobalt1959 said:

As Christians, we do not have the right to hate anyone, no matter what they do.

Isn't it "hate the sin not the sinner"?

Yes. 

it is not hate, and it is not wrong to point sin out.  We are supposed to do that, just not in a hypocritical way.  That is one of the requirements of being a Christian.

We just have to make sure it is not done with hateful intention.

Or as Christians do we have the right to choose who to hate (gays, religion, race etc....), or judge?

Once again no, we should not hate, nor judge. 

Thanks again guys.

I did state some not all.

No gays should be refused by the church.  But if it is truly a biblical Christian church, the expectation is always that, once a gay person is saved, at some point their habitual sin of having intercourse with another person of the same sex will stop and they will either remain celibate or marry someone of the opposite sex.  Those are the only two possible outcomes for someone who has actually been saved by Christ and truly repents.  As per 1 Corinthians 5, any person who engages in sexual immorality within the church past a certain point is supposed to be expelled.  

My definition would be that no gays should be refused. Just as no adulterer, nor loose men or women should be refused. How they live their lives once saved is between them and God and at what certain point is also for God to determine. How do WE determine and is it right for US to do so? Does our doctrine trump our Lord?

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

Your above examples has to be taken on a one and one situation and not generalized as each situation may be different.   Well, yes, you can take a smelly homeless person and place him to sit in the pews among the congregation and everyone would be just fine. No they won't and i am sure the deacons or ushers would make alternative arrangements to accommodate that person as they would have experienced these situations before.   As for gays, the church would have a rule of conduct  and  statements of faith  that they would have to oblige with.   Never been to a church where someone was refused because of inappropriate dress.  Common sense has to prevail too.  You have to have some  order or chaos would take place and church would become a playground, a nursery, or choose.    

Why can the smelly homeless person get a sit and accommodations but the gay have to follow a rule of conduct or statements that they have to oblige with. I have been to some churches that felt some dressed to provocatively and were asked to leave and their manner of dress wasn't even that provocative. Just not what most determined as inappropriate. Why would each be treated so differently?

So come as you are but there is a time limit as to your walk or journey?

At least with the church. God don't work on our time limits. My experience.

Edited by notsolostsoul

23 minutes ago, Davida said:

Who is "we" ? 

and why are you making such broad negative sweeping generalizations about Christians?

My reply was in direct reply to Yown. Me stating we can never include all Christians for I am only one and can only speak on what I have observed and experienced. WE would be my any generalization as for any behaviors I speak of they are only from my observations and experiences with other Christians or others who call themselves Christians. This is not a personal attack on you or any one in particular. It is a discussion.

24 minutes ago, Davida said:

Are you a an actual Christian?  If you don't mind my observation, you ask very peculiar questions , more like the kinds of questions and criticism  against Christians that non-believers do.  

What is your definition of a Christian or non-believer?

Just as some can point out others sin, shouldn't I be able to ask questions about actions and words of fellow Christians. Why must my Christianity be questioned for doing so?