• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,162
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

49 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I know of kwik and Rick. Who else?

there are a lot of people that I don't see posting much but they may be in chat.   Look at the member map.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

My daughter is in Jacksonville.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

This might be a good time to share what types of natural disasters are native to the areas in which we live.

It seems every area has something.  California has earthquakes and fires.  The south and east coasts of the US have hurricanes.  The midwest has tornadoes.

When we moved back here over 25 years ago, I remember complaining about the long, hard winters and the occasional blizzard.   It was miserable and downright dangerous driving though whiteout conditions to get to work.

Given the destruction we've seen recently though, I've come to the conclusion cold and snow ain't so bad . . . 

Blessings,

-Ed

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

43 minutes ago, Cletus said:

gusts up to 220.  it is worse than Harvey.   buildings will be shredded.  pray for them.

The wind is far worse than Harvey but with Harvey the majority of the damage was from the water.  Erma will be different but still dangerous.

many prayers for them, most of all for my daughter who is in Jax

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,162
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

This might be a good time to share what types of natural disasters are native to the areas in which we live.

It seems every area has something.  California has earthquakes and fires.  The south and east coasts of the US have hurricanes.  The midwest has tornadoes.

When we moved back here over 25 years ago, I remember complaining about the long, hard winters and the occasional blizzard.   It was miserable and downright dangerous driving though whiteout conditions to get to work.

Given the destruction we've seen recently though, I've come to the conclusion cold and snow ain't so bad . . . 

Blessings,

-Ed

depends on how deep it gets...   we don't get much snow at once here in Oklahoma, but I've seen some ice storms that were killers.....   and occasionally some drifting snow.     back in the early 70's when I worked for KWTV the station was located on land that if we got ten to 12 inches of snow our cars would be covered and i'd have to work for two or three days before we could get in or out of the parking lot and others could not get in.   we did have a lunch  and lots of coffee so we didn't go hungry.   

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

9 hours ago, other one said:

depends on how deep it gets...   we don't get much snow at once here in Oklahoma, but I've seen some ice storms that were killers.....   and occasionally some drifting snow.     back in the early 70's when I worked for KWTV the station was located on land that if we got ten to 12 inches of snow our cars would be covered and i'd have to work for two or three days before we could get in or out of the parking lot and others could not get in.   we did have a lunch  and lots of coffee so we didn't go hungry.   

I lived in Oklahoma from 1978 through 1989 and I know what you mean about ice storms.  (When our oldest was on the way in December of '83, I got my wife to the hospital way early so we could be ahead of the predicted ice storm.  No way did I want to be delivering a baby along the side of the road!)

When something is more common in the area in which you live, at least the people in charge can be more prepared for it.  Heavy snow was not so common in Oklahoma compared to WNY where I am now - therefore when it came it was much more of a problem.  I think Tulsa may have had a grand total of one snow plow.  Here, the army of snow plows, salt trucks and sanders is out when the first flakes start falling.  

There isn't much they can do for ice though - other than spread salt on the roads. Of course that causes the cars to rust out early - which is why you seldom see a car over 10 years old here.

The areas that are prone to hurricanes and flooding are more prepared to handle it - but these giant storms still create havoc.  At least with a blizzard you can  stay in your home.  If it's really bad, they'll close schools and only 'essential' folk will be called to work.  Jimmy Griffith, a former mayor of Buffalo, famously said this during the '77 blizzard (and I'm not advocating drinking):  “Stay inside, grab a six-pack and watch a good football game."

As I write this, they're still not sure where Irma is going to hit.  The uncertainty of course causes even more disruption.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

She really wiped out the Caribbean.