• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Just now, shiloh357 said:

Nothing metaphorical at all.  Sorry, but you need to produce metaphorical textual indicators.   This is a historical narrative, not a parable, not an allegory, there is no symbolism indicated at all.  You cannot just apply values to a text willy nilly.

Hi Shiloh,

So where do you receive eternal life bro, from a tree of life or from the Lord?

Marilyn.

Guest shiloh357
14 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Shiloh,

I don`t believe Adam was immortal. He was made from the dust of the earth.

`The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second man is the Lord from heaven.` (1 Cor. 15: 47)

Thus the need to `eat of the tree of life,` meaning to be in constant communion with the Lord, (symbolised by the tree of life).

Marilyn.

He was cursed with physical and spiritual death, so he was not immortal prior to the fall.   Again, there is no symbolism attached to the story.  You need to just believe the Bible and not add values to it.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Marilyn C said:

Hi Shiloh,

So where do you receive eternal life bro, from a tree of life or from the Lord?

Marilyn.

From the Lord, just like Adam did.  God was Adam's source of life, not the tree.   But that does not mean that the tree was metaphorical.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

From the Lord, just like Adam did.  God was Adam's source of life, not the tree.   But that does not mean that the tree was metaphorical.

So are you saying that there is a `tree that gives eternal life,` as well as Jesus?

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Marilyn C said:

So are you saying that there is a `tree that gives eternal life,` as well as Jesus?

If you had read my previous comments, you would note that I said that the Bible does not tell us what the purpose the Tree of Life served prior to the fall.   But God was Adam's only source of life.

If you had read my previous comments, you would note that I said that the Bible does not tell us what the purpose the Tree of Life served prior to the fall.   But God was Adam's only source of life.

So you still believe in a tree that gives life, (if the scripture is not symbolic) and also in a flaming sword that can move every which way,?

Sounds very mystical to me, bro.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

So you still believe in a tree that gives life, (if the scripture is not symbolic) and also in a flaming sword that can move every which way,?

Sounds very mystical to me, bro.

It's not.  You are talking about a supernatural environment.   It's no more symbolic than the parting of the Red Sea, the fall of Jericho, or any one of Jesus' miracles.  I expect to see things that are out of the ordinary in a supernatural environment. It happened just the way the Bible says.

It is a historical narrative and there is no commentary from Scripture that indicates it to be symbolic or metaphorical, or allegorical or whatever.  It is presented as literal history, just as literal as Noah's flood.

It's not.  You are talking about a supernatural environment.   It's no more symbolic than the parting of the Red Sea, the fall of Jericho, or any one of Jesus' miracles.  I expect to see things that are out of the ordinary in a supernatural environment.

It is a historical narrative and there is no commentary from Scripture that indicates it to be symbolic or metaphorical, or allegorical or whatever.  It is presented as literal history, just as literal as Noah's flood.

Hi Shiloh,

Oh yes it is, very mystical to think those `natural things` can give life or turn by themselves. As to those historic events they are all within the scope of the natural environment controlled by God.

Genesis 3 does have other symbols - eg the serpent. Now that is not just a snake, from the natural environment, we know from scripture precisely that it is Satan himself. ` So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old...` (Rev. 12: 9)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

5 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

This is the very question I've always had, yet I've noticed the conclusion I reach meets much resistance. Scripture never calls Jesus the tree of life. 

Proverbs 3:18. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly.

what is wisdom but Christ?

Just now, hmbld said:

This is the very question I've always had, yet I've noticed the conclusion I reach meets much resistance. Scripture never calls Jesus the tree of life. 

Proverbs 3:18. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly.

what is wisdom but Christ?

So true hmbld,

There are so many symbols which refer to our Lord, to help us understand more of this wondrous Son of God from heaven.

All else is just mystical nonsense.

regards, Marilyn.