• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

Re. Hezekiah and the sundial of Ahaz.

1) What was the number of the 'songs of degrees' that Hezekiah wrote as a result of God's sign to him (re.the sundial) and what was it's significance?  (There are 15 songs of degrees in all, but not all of them were written by Hezekiah

2) What does the number 15 signify in regard to Hezekiah and God's gracious action in regard to him?

Edited by Christine

22 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

To extend the fight and deliver the city out of the hand of the king of Assyria. Now Christine, quid pro quo...

Ten degrees by sun dial is roughly :40 minutes in time backwards. It's conjectured in Joshua 10: 13 the sun stood still for 23 hours and :20 minutes. That's constitutes one complete missing day. Alex, I'll take "Sun Dials" for $500.00 please, Bingo it's double jeopardy. Okay Christine, for $1,000.00 and the championship, how did the Lord accomplish this?

[A] He stopped the sun in its tracks and backed it up.

He stopped the Earth from rotating and backed it up.

[C] God sits outside of time, sees the past, present and future all at the same time. The Lord manipulated perceived time backwards.

[D] None of the above and here's why.

[E] Gee, I haven't a clue  :D

Hi @Dennis1209

How did the Lord accomplish this? 

I have found something online related to this, to which I will give you the link. but these are the two relevant paragraphs,

'The Divine narrative is interesting, as containing the first known account of any instrument for the measurement of time. The dial must have been a vertical one, probably fastened to a wall or pillar. Ancient writers say dials were invented in Chaldea, and from the intercourse between Babylon and Israel, it is most likely this dial was obtained by Ahaz from the former country, and from its novelty was called the dial of Ahaz. The dials of Babylonia were made of stone, semicircular marked with divisions, parts of a circle, making probably 180 degrees, and were built into walls. In that case, ten degrees would mean two-thirds of an hour, and although such a going back could not be done at an appointed tune by any other than Divine power, yet we shall easily see that a return of the shadow ten degrees on the dial, could be effected without any further alteration than a slight change in the density of the atmosphere. 

The sun every day at his rising and setting appears by refraction in a different place, by eighteen degrees, from that in which he really is. Sometimes, seen through a thick atmosphere, both sun and moon appear two or three tines larger than their usual size, and occasionally extra suns and moons are seen, yet in reality there is no disturbance, except in the refraction of the light. So in this merciful sign to Hezekiah we must not suppose that the sun really was arrested in his course or the earth stopped in its dally revolution, but simply that such a refraction was produced in the air as to cause the backward motion of the shadow, and thus strengthen the faith of the king, by the conviction that the ruler of nature was about to restore him to health, and prolong his life.'

http://www.scienceofcorrespondences.com/the-sun-going-on-the-dial-of-ahaz.htm

* Thought provoking at the very least.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus 
Chris

Edited by Christine

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

God stopped the sun and moon. He did not stop the earth because the earth is immovable, fixed, fastened, stationary and the center of the cosmos. I'll explain more after 100 posts.

4372447e74ea1a5e695ff0e4a42ac8a8[1].jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 3/24/2018 at 5:43 AM, Christine said:

Hi @Dennis1209

How did the Lord accomplish this? 

I have found something online related to this, to which I will give you the link. but these are the two relevant paragraphs,

'The Divine narrative is interesting, as containing the first known account of any instrument for the measurement of time. The dial must have been a vertical one, probably fastened to a wall or pillar. Ancient writers say dials were invented in Chaldea, and from the intercourse between Babylon and Israel, it is most likely this dial was obtained by Ahaz from the former country, and from its novelty was called the dial of Ahaz. The dials of Babylonia were made of stone, semicircular marked with divisions, parts of a circle, making probably 180 degrees, and were built into walls. In that case, ten degrees would mean two-thirds of an hour, and although such a going back could not be done at an appointed tune by any other than Divine power, yet we shall easily see that a return of the shadow ten degrees on the dial, could be effected without any further alteration than a slight change in the density of the atmosphere. 

The sun every day at his rising and setting appears by refraction in a different place, by eighteen degrees, from that in which he really is. Sometimes, seen through a thick atmosphere, both sun and moon appear two or three tines larger than their usual size, and occasionally extra suns and moons are seen, yet in reality there is no disturbance, except in the refraction of the light. So in this merciful sign to Hezekiah we must not suppose that the sun really was arrested in his course or the earth stopped in its dally revolution, but simply that such a refraction was produced in the air as to cause the backward motion of the shadow, and thus strengthen the faith of the king, by the conviction that the ruler of nature was about to restore him to health, and prolong his life.'

http://www.scienceofcorrespondences.com/the-sun-going-on-the-dial-of-ahaz.htm

* Thought provoking at the very least.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus 
Chris

Humm... Very interesting. That thought never even occurred to me? Left to its own devices, we know what the effect would be if the sun or earth would suddenly stop on man and creation. 

Then we have Joshua 10: 13 to consider also? I don't know how the Lord accomplished it, but I'm in awe by it. Hope the Lord doesn't get sick and tired of me when I'm before Him like a five year old asking, well what about... well what about... how did...constantly through eternity!

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1

At what Divine instruction did Peter use the keys of the kingdom during the period of the Acts of the Apostles?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

6 hours ago, Christine said:

At what Divine instruction did Peter use the keys of the kingdom during the period of the Acts of the Apostles?

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Who had a harem with women that were purified with perfumes?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

Who had a harem with women that were purified with perfumes?

mmm.. maybe Esther's husband.  In Hebrew, Ahueseurus (or something like that).  In Greek, maybe Xerxes or Artaxerxes, I'm drawing a blank.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

What evil queen painted her face before meeting with the rebel king Jehu?