IGNORED

I Thes 5:22

Running Gator

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

What manner of living would that be?  As nearly anything anyone does  can be look at as evil by someone.  

Not really, unless we are engaged in something where feel the need to muddy the waters about what evil is.  

Guest shiloh357
12 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

Anyone who has read Paul's letter to the Romans in the KJV will come to appreciate that translation's subsequent revisions.

It's the subsequent revisions that make us appreciate the KJV given that the subsequent revisions don't even agree with each other.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

2 minutes ago, Davida said:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV) "16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

I agree with all your quotes.
Also it is interesting to note that Saul (Paul) said the above before the 'canon' was completed or closed. It suggests that God can use any scripture that the apostles were familiar with.

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I agree with all your quotes.
Also it is interesting to note that Saul (Paul) said the above before the 'canon' was completed or closed. It suggests that God can use any scripture that the apostles were familiar with.

The current canon of 66 books is the only legitimate Christian canon. 

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Of course, as I have said before. The 1611 KJV had 80 books but the Roman Church apparently changed that to 66 in 1684.

However, the Eastern Church has 88 books, so I guess people are free to choose what canon they wish to adhere to.

Or are they not free to choose?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

50 minutes ago, Davida said:

Sounds like a good justification to just ignore that particular scripture.....who could do what it says? right?

Would you be willing to stop any action that someone views as appearing to be evil?

Guest shiloh357
56 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Of course, as I have said before. The 1611 KJV had 80 books but the Roman Church apparently changed that to 66 in 1684.

However, the Eastern Church has 88 books, so I guess people are free to choose what canon they wish to adhere to.

Or are they not free to choose?

The Roman Church has 78.

The Eastern Church has 88.

The true Christian Church has 66.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,469
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/2/2017 at 6:50 AM, Running Gator said:

Most version of the bible transalte I Thes 5:22 this way...

Abstain from every form of evil.

Out of all the major translations, only the KJV translates it as such...

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Based upon the context of the rest of the chapter, it is my view that the KJV folks got it wrong.

The 2nd part of the chapter in which this verse falls in is all about actions, not appearances.  

I personally think the intent of 'appearance' in the KJV is partially not to offend someone else of a different faith or religion maybe. For example: Years ago going out to dinner with an ardent Catholic on a Friday and eating a steak instead of fish, or something equivalent. And I believe it's to avoid anyone thinking or having any ammunition to think or accuse a Christian of a sin or wrong doing. I think if we offend someone, or someone thinks this or that, it hurts our testimony for Christ. I think the KJV got it right.

What's the difference between appearance and actual evil from someone else's perspective just observing it, and not know with 100% certainty, but suspect?

Just my own thoughts...

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I personally think the intent of 'appearance' in the KJV is partially not to offend someone else of a different faith or religion maybe. For example: Years ago going out to dinner with an ardent Catholic on a Friday and eating a steak instead of fish, or something equivalent. And I believe it's to avoid anyone thinking or having any ammunition to think or accuse a Christian of a sin or wrong doing. I think if we offend someone, or someone thinks this or that, it hurts our testimony for Christ. I think the KJV got it right.

What's the difference between appearance and actual evil from someone else's perspective just observing it, and not know with 100% certainty, but suspect?

Just my own thoughts...

Thank you for your thoughts.  I have a few things that would lead me not to agree with your view.

1.  I do not feel that view goes along with the rest of the chapter.  

2. I do not belive that Jesus cared either about appearances or offending someone else of a different faith.  By the way that people today use this verse Jesus was wrong to have stood at the well alone with a woman and he was wrong to sit and eat with the sinners, as both could be seen as an appearance of evil. 

3.  Based on my experience, people base this on what they view as giving an appearance of evil, not what the perspectives of others.  People choose not to ride in a car with a member of the opposite gender not their spouse or family member because in their eyes that gives the appearance of evil, not because it might do so in the eyes of others. 

4.  In all my years as a Christian I have never seen anyone that tells people they should not do something because it appears evil actually change their own behavior because someone told them something they were doing appeared evil. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

What manner of living would that be?  As nearly anything anyone does  can be look at as evil by someone.  

What manner of living would that be..........      The manner according to what GOD deems is right .   That alone is how we walk by the POWER of HIS SPIRIT.

man can call whatever he wants good.  I REFUSE IT , if it is NOT what GOD calls good.     That should be simple enough. WELL IFWE LOVE HIM .   but if we don't ,

we wont and are not saved.