IGNORED

Would having special services for Pastors or other members be considered Idolatry?

notsolostsoul

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I have known some churches to have Pastor's day or Pastor's Appreciation day.

I never understood the purpose of this and would this be a form of idolatry, since it is an annual celebration of a pastor?

Also, why do they pass around extra collection plates?

Are these a Biblical practice?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

20 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

No.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

26 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

I have known some churches to have Pastor's day or Pastor's Appreciation day.

I never understood the purpose of this and would this be a form of idolatry, since it is an annual celebration of a pastor?

Also, why do they pass around extra collection plates?

I think a Pastor should be humble. I do not think he should want a special day designated to himself. I am also against a Pastor asking for a special parking spot at the Church. A Pastor should look at Jesus Christ and how humble He was in His ministry. He washed His disciples feet. When I attended a Church I was ok with tithing. But they would ask for more and more money for this and for that. I could not afford all of that and they seemed put out that I did not contribute. These are just a couple of the reasons I stay out of a Church.

• Loved it! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Whoa Davida, before the discussion gets anymore out of context let's set some errors straight that are in your reply.

24 minutes ago, Davida said:

I think it is very unloving to resent

I agree with you here.

25 minutes ago, Davida said:

I think it is very unloving to resent if any Churches wish to designate a day to appreciate  their Pastor.

I never said the word resent, nor expressed that I or others should resent any church for what they do.

29 minutes ago, Davida said:

Are they kneeling down and worshipping the Pastor?

Kneeling down is not the only form of worship. Singing and praising are also forms of worship.

31 minutes ago, Davida said:

why would you call it idolatry?

I didn't, I asked would it be a form of idoltry?

Please do not mix my words, or accuse me of things you perceive.

Thank you!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Is it the pastor's idea?

1 Timothy 5:17-18

17 Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine. 18 For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

25 minutes ago, Davida said:

I do not think it is any  Pastor who is "wanting" a special day- it is the congregation that is wanting to show Their appreciation for him.

But the Pastor can kindly and humbly refuse the recognition.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

I have no problem with a pastor living from the flock.   MY problem is when they live better than the flock. OR focus on MONEY .

as for a pastor being appreciated ,  sure so long as the church gives all the recognition to GOD and the pastor can either refuse or accept it .

Most I think who truly follow Christ would probably say lets make this into a HONOR GOD day.    but personally I have no problem with it

SO long as the people don't make him out to be some great one .  that would be a problem that is idolatry.    I love the examples of paul and peter

where they KNEW they had the right to live from the flock. BUT never took advantage of it, instead they were as ensamples to the flock.

Paul was so concerned for the church , he even had their giving be stored up before HE came so it would be seen as bounty rather  than any way to be seen as covetous.

THEY sure preached against any kind of love for money.   Because they themselves had NO LOVE FOR MONEY,  their LOVE was the church and the GOSPLE and CHRIST .

• Oy Vey! 1

You see, they preached the gospel AS LIFE and for LIFE .    that is the whole beauty of it.

And I truly believe with every ounce of my innermost being , that any man that is WELL seasoned and in the position to have that type of authority.

WELL..............HE SHOULD be AS CHRIST who came to serve and not BE served.   and CORRECT like JESUS DID TOO. 

And IF we examine the gospels.   DID JESUS live any BETTER than his flock...............OR the identical same.  SAME.   it was same clothes , same food , no better

and HE was as one who served. SO yeah I have major issues with ROME and with that false prosperity gospel too.  Cause neither knows GOD .    netiher.

I sure don't see Christ in any of them.   THEY SURE LIVE FAR BETTER than their FLOCKS wouldn't we say, and they say.HEY its all for the GLORY OF GOD.

NOPE its for their own glory .  they store up and they LIE to many and many buy that lie.   And that I have a major problems with.

they fleecing the flocks and now worse they leadng everyone back to rome.     BUT I aint down for no count.   I will warn to my last breath , cause

it aint money I love..........its the souls.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

The OP merely asked a question and got some antagonist answers.  Why does this have to be. Can't the conversation be more in a brotherly manner, even though you may perceive another intent.  A  bit of probing could see the vantage point of why the OP is asking the question, rather than shooting first and trying to get the answers later.   Getting tired of this on the forum  as the threads  are seeming to be a contest rather than a conversation. 

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1