missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Gary Larson, the artist, does not believe in the concept of hell.

quote-people-try-to-look-for-deep-meanings-in-my-work-i-want-to-say-they-re-just-cartoons-gary-larson-101-8-0832.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Gary Lee said:

Gary Larson, the artist, does not believe in the concept of hell.

quote-people-try-to-look-for-deep-meanings-in-my-work-i-want-to-say-they-re-just-cartoons-gary-larson-101-8-0832.jpg

I can't see from his statement that he is an atheist. It is really sad. He is a very talented person. He could praise and thank His Creator for the blessing He has given him.

1 hour ago, Davida said:

They totally are making a joke out of the doctrine of hell. It mocks the Word of God & essentially is mocking of GOD.  This stuff is not as innocent as it looks , these false concepts have a way of influencing people's beliefs, whereas people should fear hell, they'd be better off. Hell and eternal punishment is no joke.

That is what I think and where I am going with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

It seems a way of taking God's name in vain, that is, what He has revealed we treat it lightly...and hell is no laughing matter, no way, no how.

It sure is not :(

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I previously tried to post a Youtube link to this site but quickly found out it was against the law, so I'll just describe it and you can Google it or Youtube it.

I'm here to tell you, you don't want to wish your worst enemy to go to this place for all eternity, or even joke around about it. I bought this video from his website, but you can watch it for free at his website or Youtube. This is the best and most convincing testimony of Hell I've ever heard, and it sent chills down my spine. The video is titled "23 Minutes in Hell", by Bill Wiese. 

Whether his testimony is true or not, and I have no reason to doubt it but keep a little red flag in the back of my brain, it's the most vivid and scary description of Hell I've ever heard. The video is less than an hour and in my opinion a good witnessing tool. If you watch it, tell me what you think. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Unabridged article

Direction A Mennonite Brethren Forum

Fall 2010 · Vol. 39 No. 2 · pp. 189–203

The Far Side of Religion: Notes on the Prophet Gary Larson

Michael J. Gilmour http://www.directionjournal.org/39/2/far-side-of-religion-notes-on-prophet.html

I do not know if they're related, but are we concerned about Jeff Larson's "The Back Pew", so named because it was there as a child Jeff found Christ, cartoons? https://www.thebackpew.com/gallery.html

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Farside is far sided, way out man, and always funny. They are stupid cartoons  with silly thoughts maybe, but that is part of the fun, the absurdity of it.

In serious contrast is the  ever so serious Christian that can become a total bore in their heightened disdain. Can't imagine a greater burning hell  than having to spend  eternity  sharing a house with one. Maybe they will all be secured down the golden pathway past the houses of the stoic Baptists, somewhere far from those that will be found laughing in the Spirit, and celebrating worship  of Jesus. 

Of course Farside is funny!

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

God puts the Holy Spirit within His saints. He doesn't need to remove our funny bone to do it.

Does not God have a grand sense of the ironic and a deep sense of humor?

Does God not  love poetry?

Music? 

Weddings and wines? Evidently fine wines for his own?

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Larson's body of cartoon work as a whole is characterized by looking at various realistic and surrealistic situations in a completely unexpected manner.  He frequently seemed to just draw on common cultural themes (without commenting on their accuracy or inaccuracy) and standing them on their heads.  He's like the person who is always making bad puns no matter how serious the conversation is getting.  Some people enjoy being around a pun-maker and others can't stand having them around.  

Gary Larson has (purportedly) posted a letter on the Internet asking that people not post his cartoons online.  Otherwise, I was going to put up a couple of his Noah's ark cartoons or God creating the world cartoons.  One was something like, "too late for the unicorns; from now on, the carnivores are restricted to their deck."  The other was God with a ton of "spice shakers" labeled with things like "trees", "dogs", "cats" etc.  He was sprinkling one labeled "Jerks" on the earth and thinking "this will make things interesting". 

In science circles, his cartoons making fun of scientists were a big hit.  Three scientists studying dolphins' speech and one saying something like, "hey, it's more of those aw blah essss pannn  olll sounds".   A group of scientists running out the door like kids when they saw the ice cream truck.  A group of physicists looking intently at some complicated equations and one saying "I think I see our problem, isn't 7 times 8 equal to 56?"   The "smart" kid trying to push on a door labeled "Pull" outside a school for the gifted.  Einstein starting off as a basketball player until an injury ended his career.

His cartoons also had something that is often missing today, a sense of silliness and inaneness without an explicit agenda to attack anyone.  Rather than being offended at his religious themed cartoons, I view them as an opportunity to learn.  His cartoons do show how some people see what the church has been teaching.  I think it is incumbent on us to look at what people think is being said by the church and figure out how to more clearly present things.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest Teditis

I don't think that Gary Larson mocks God or His realm... he makes fun of a lot of things in life.

Focusing in on just these few cartoons as a monolithic insight into his intentions is just wrong.

I happen to find him extremely humorous and insightful.

His God cartoons are just as funny.