Unfailing Presence

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

A question I think it worthy to review on Thanksgiving Day .

You often hear the back and forth debate about whether or not America was founded  as a " Christian Nation "  .

I myself do not think it even  plausible to define an entire nation as being " Christian " ,   but in terms of founding institutions , documents , traditions  I cannot think of a nation founded more in Christian spirit and sentiment than America .                         

Who would believe in 2017 that Harvard for instance  was founded a fundamentalist Christian College ? 

As were the majority of our oldest and most renowned institutions of higher learning . Institutions that would refuse Christian thoughts to even be spoken out loud  on campus today .

Which gets to my point , If America could not be considered to be founded on a predominantly Christian basis ,  what nation or country could ?

Is there any better example in all human history ? 

I have never heard any other nation in all human history held up as being " Christian founded "  

You would think even the detractors of America being founded that way would  hold up the example of some other " Christian Nation "  to juxtapose and show how badly America missed the mark ? 

But I have never , ever heard any other nation offered up by either supporters or detractors . 

Won't somebody tell me of one , if a better example exists ? 

Remember I am speaking specifically about the " founding " , not what exists today . 

" Beside us to aide us , our God with us joining , ordaining , maintaining His Kingdom divine.                                                                                                                                                                           So from the beginning the fight we were winning , Thou Lord wast at our side - all Glory be Thine ."    ( Source unknown ) 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

If it is true, that God will judge nations (not just in terms of nations=gentiles) then America have receiving oodles of light in it's infancy will be judged quite harshly on that Day. We are truly without excuse but perhaps on of the biggest culprits in the exporting of godlessness worldwide.

I believe the judgement is well underway and has been for some time  .

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes, at least the Cup of Iniquity is being filled.

Rev 17:4
(4)  And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

Their is no need to add to this yowm , YA SPOT ON the CUP of inquity IS being filled and soon after the cup of great perecutions world wide will be the result .

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

One of the central messages of the New Testament is that there is no such thing as a "Christian nation" in terms of a political entity.  The Kingdom of Heaven and the "Kingdoms of this World" are at odds with each other.  As Jesus said, "if my kingdom were of this world, my followers would have taken up arms..."

Political nations are no more Christian than church buildings are.  You could say that some nations have some rules which are more in line with Christ's teachings than others, but then you have to be clear on what those teachings are.  For example, can it be said that America (or any other country for that matter) is a "Christian country" when it takes up arms and fights wars, contrary to the teachings of Jesus?

What would interest me is to hear from others as to what aspects of America as a political nation do they think are actually Christian, and how those aspects relate to what Jesus taught in the Gospels.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357
42 minutes ago, justadisciple said:

One of the central messages of the New Testament is that there is no such thing as a "Christian nation" in terms of a political entity.  The Kingdom of Heaven and the "Kingdoms of this World" are at odds with each other.  As Jesus said, "if my kingdom were of this world, my followers would have taken up arms..."

Political nations are no more Christian than church buildings are.  You could say that some nations have some rules which are more in line with Christ's teachings than others, but then you have to be clear on what those teachings are.  For example, can it be said that America (or any other country for that matter) is a "Christian country" when it takes up arms and fights wars, contrary to the teachings of Jesus?

What would interest me is to hear from others as to what aspects of America as a political nation do they think are actually Christian, and how those aspects relate to what Jesus taught in the Gospels.

Are you a pacifist?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

44 minutes ago, justadisciple said:

Hi justadisciple,

I think you said that really well. It amazes me that people who believe in the Body of Christ still hold their country above that. The Body of Christ is out every nation and is a spiritual organism that the Holy Spirit sets each in place. (1 Cor. 12: 18) This truth I believe needs to come to the fore as many people are wrongly thinking `earthly` and will therefore look for an earthly Messiah who will rule on this earth.

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:18 AM, Unfailing Presence said:

A question I think it worthy to review on Thanksgiving Day .

You often hear the back and forth debate about whether or not America was founded  as a " Christian Nation "  .

I myself do not think it even  plausible to define an entire nation as being " Christian " ,   but in terms of founding institutions , documents , traditions  I cannot think of a nation founded more in Christian spirit and sentiment than America .                         

Hi Unfailing Presence,

Glad you see there is no such thing as a Christian nation. Only people are Christians, not a government, not man`s organisations, just people for whom Christ died and is making like unto Himself. And we are called - the Body of Christ. His Body, as He is the Head. What closer relationship can there be than that.

Great topic. Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Are you a pacifist?

I am a Christian, a disciple and follower of Jesus.

How would you define a pacifist?

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357
44 minutes ago, justadisciple said:

I am a Christian, a disciple and follower of Jesus.

How would you define a pacifist?

Would you oppose the United States using its military to defend us if we were attacked by a foreign nation?   Are you opposed to Christians joining the military?    Are you opposed to the concept of self-defense against someone who means you harm or means harm to your family?

25 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Would you oppose the United States using its military to defend us if we were attacked by a foreign nation?   Are you opposed to Christians joining the military?    Are you opposed to the concept of self-defense against someone who means you harm or means harm to your family?

Worldly and political nations will fight worldly and political wars.  But w.e are not of this world, if we were, we would take up arms and fight... but we are not of this world... we have been born again into God's Kingdom of love and truth... a spiritual kingdom.

I do not believe that military service is compatible with Christianity.  However, the movie Hacksaw Ridge showed a possible exception to that rule.

I do not condemn people who wish to defend themselves and their families physically.  However, I do not believe that using violence as a means to achieve that defense is a valid Christian response in harmony with the teachings and example of Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1