irishcowboy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Cults or sects are religious movements, churches, or other organizations that have all of some of the following characteristics:

Cults and sects usually claim to be biblically based, Christian organizations. For example, the Church of LDS maintains that it is a Christian church centered on Christ and his teachings. The Christian Science church also often refers to itself as a Christian movement.

All cults deny or redefine any or all-essential Christian doctrines. Jehovah's witnesses, for instance, absolutely deny the deity of Jesus Christ. The LDS redefines the Trinity.

Sects may adhere officially to essential Christian teachings while exhibiting other of these characteristics. The International church of Christ, for example, adheres to traditional views about God and Christ, but members regard their movement as the only one proclaiming the true message of salvation today.

Cults and sects usually claim to be led by divinely inspired leaders. They usually believe their leaders are capable of receiving direct revelation from God or have a special, inspired understanding of the Bible. One example is Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder and leader of the unification church. His followers regard him as Lord of the second advent. A position equal to that of Christ. The LDS believes its president is a living prophet, seer and revelator, who can receive direct revelation from God.

Cults and sects usually claim to possess a new and inspired written scripture that supplements or supersedes the authority of the Bible. Christian Science teaches that Mary Baker Eddy

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

All cults deny or redefine any or all-essential Christian doctrines.

All Christian denominations deny or redefine any or all essential Christian doctrines......to one degree or another. It is for this reason that, technically, all Christian denominations could be labeled a "cult" or a sect. In fact, all denominations are either factions, divisions, or sects, according to the Bible.

We need to be very careful when we use the term "cult" in application to a certain Christian group. Certainly the groups mentioned in your list are false. But we can carry this term "cult" way too far, in my opinion, and pretty soon we will be placing many genuine believers in the big "cult" box.

Generally I believe that the term "cult" should be applied to those groups which are completely foreign to Christianity. Plus, the term has a stigmatizing affect. Typically when people hear the word "cult" they think about Jim Jones, David Koresh, and comet-worshipping professionals wearing Nike shoes.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I had the pleasure to have talked to a couple of mormons once and they told me that they gave all their earnings to the church and the church looked after them.

To me that sounds like some kind of cult thing. They put their faith in the church rather than God :noidea:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

I have heard of the Way International and its founder, Victor Paul Weirwill. I've actually met a few of its members, and they seem to be good and honest Christians. Is there anyone that has dealings with this organization or it is familiar with it?

Guest Fluffy the Cactus

I would have to question your list, however, Mr.&Mrs.MikeIrish... Cults need only two of the following to be considered cults:

They have to follow a leader who claims to be divinely inspired.

They take as much as they can from their "followers", such as income, time, etc. Cults frown upon its members associating with family/friends who are not part of the cult and often times outright forbid it! The International Church of Christ is a notorious cult and so are the Scientologists... The Raelians are another cult as well, but most internationally recognized religions are not cults because they do not restrict outside activities of its members. I believe that the church my wife worked for before we got married was indeed very cultish because they controlled nearly every aspect of her life. Many cults do claim to be Christian. The KKK is one of them, as well as Aryan Nations, Aryan Brotherhood, etc. However, all cults have ulterior motives. While the L.D.S. and Jehovah Witness sects are cultish in some respects they are not actually cults because they are not directly under one figurehead who claims to have been inspired directly by God. They do not meet certain criteria, such as ensuring that their members are completely cut off from the rest of society. The Jehovah Witnesses do this more than the L.D.S., but again, they do not have one figurehead with which to respond to. If I need to clear any of this up at a later time, I will.

???:noidea:

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
Cults or sects are religious movements, churches, or other organizations that have all of some of the following characteristics:

Cults and sects usually claim to be biblically based, Christian organizations. For example, the Church of LDS maintains that it is a Christian church centered on Christ and his teachings. The Christian Science church also often refers to itself as a Christian movement.

All cults deny or redefine any or all-essential Christian doctrines. Jehovah's witnesses, for instance, absolutely deny the deity of Jesus Christ. The LDS redefines the Trinity.

Sects may adhere officially to essential Christian teachings while exhibiting other of these characteristics. The International church of Christ, for example, adheres to traditional views about God and Christ, but members regard their movement as the only one proclaiming the true message of salvation today.

Cults and sects usually claim to be led by divinely inspired leaders. They usually believe their leaders are capable of receiving direct revelation from God or have a special, inspired understanding of the Bible. One example is Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder and leader of the unification church. His followers regard him as Lord of the second advent. A position equal to that of Christ. The LDS believes its president is a living prophet, seer and revelator, who can receive direct revelation from God.

Cults and sects usually claim to possess a new and inspired written scripture that supplements or supersedes the authority of the Bible. Christian Science teaches that Mary Baker Eddy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

While the L.D.S. and Jehovah Witness sects are cultish in some respects they are not actually cults because they are not directly under one figurehead who claims to have been inspired directly by God.  They do not meet certain criteria, such as ensuring that their members are completely cut off from the rest of society.  The Jehovah Witnesses do this more than the L.D.S., but again, they do not have one figurehead with which to respond to. 

Actually the mormons do have one figure they respond to. The mormon president, supposedly gets new "revelations" from God. What he says, goes. I live in an area that is mostly mormon. They are a cult. They do isolate themselves. There is a strong us versus them mentality among those here. Most importantly, their teachings are not sound.

(Just had to throw in my 2 pesos worth.)

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
While the L.D.S. and Jehovah Witness sects are cultish in some respects they are not actually cults because they are not directly under one figurehead who claims to have been inspired directly by God.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

All cults deny or redefine any or all-essential Christian doctrines.

All Christian denominations deny or redefine any or all essential Christian doctrines......to one degree or another. It is for this reason that, technically, all Christian denominations could be labeled a "cult" or a sect. In fact, all denominations are either factions, divisions, or sects, according to the Bible.

We need to be very careful when we use the term "cult" in application to a certain Christian group. Certainly the groups mentioned in your list are false. But we can carry this term "cult" way too far, in my opinion, and pretty soon we will be placing many genuine believers in the big "cult" box.

Generally I believe that the term "cult" should be applied to those groups which are completely foreign to Christianity. Plus, the term has a stigmatizing affect. Typically when people hear the word "cult" they think about Jim Jones, David Koresh, and comet-worshipping professionals wearing Nike shoes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure I agree with the first part. I think that some probably do, but all?

Maybe that is something I will be thinking about over the next day or so. How about elaborating on it a bit more for me please. :noidea:

As for the last part about using the term cult, I do agree with that. I don't think that the LDS church is a "cult" in that term. I guess in my eyes it is a religion (that denies all of the Christian doctrines).

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

David Breese put out a short book many years back called KNOW THE MARKS OF THE CULTS. I believe it is still in print, and it is not expensive. Well worth reading.

I am familiar with Victor Paul Weirwielle (or however it's spelled), "the world's leading authority on Aramaic" his disciples used to call him. The Way International is just another boring gnostic cult which denies Jesus' deity......