• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

But remember, when the Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius and they spoke in tongues, there is no indication whatsoever given that there was anyone there who understood the languages they spoke, nor is there indication that anyone was interpreting what was being said.

The passage only states that the people spoke in tongues!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

verse??

You know sis as I have said before, I have no problem at all with those who "speak in tongues" I do however have a huge problem with those who pervert the gospel by claiming tongues is a must if the Holy Spirit is in you.

God Bless,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is Acts 10:44-46.

But I don't necessarily agree with Nebula's interpretation. The jews present knew that the gentiles were magnifying God, so they must have had some understanding of what was being spoken.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree I see nothing there that shows they did not understand, actually quite the contrary as you say they knew what they were saying was magnifying God.

God Bless,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh but there is scriptural proof. Peter and John were "Unlearned and ignorant men(Acts 4:13)", they were not linguists, like Paul was, so they would not have understood more than one, or at the most two languages. If Cornellius "Spoke in Tongues", and it was a language he might have known anyway(Greek, Hebrew. Latin), it would have been meaningless. So they definitely did hear him speak in a language that nobody present understood, or at least no native romans understood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I was referring more to a situation like Pentacost where they understood in there own tongue.

God Bless,

Dave

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm very sorry Nebula, I wasn't trying to negate your gift. 1 Cor 14:39 "do not forbid speaking in tongues". I just didn't necessarily agree with your interpretation of that particular verse, I would never presume to tell you that talking to God in "tongues" is wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Neither would I, as I have stated many times now, if speaking in tongues helps strengthen your relationship with our saviour then have at it. To me it ranks right there with pray reading, I see no Biblical precedence for it but also see no danger in it. Some will say you are opening yourself up to Satan, but God is stronger then he who opposes us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, I'm glad to hear you say that!

It's so disheartening, though, to have people who do not speak in tongues talking about how tongues should and should not be used.

It's like someone who doesn't swim telling those of us who do how we are supposed to swim based on what they've read or heard, or someone who spent all their lives in Southern Florida telling those of us farther north about how to drive in the snow, or a man telling us women how to deal with . . . oh, never mind!

But about this passage:

Acts 10

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

I see this saying they were speaking in tongues and magnifying God.

That does not necessarily mean "those of the circumcision" understood what was being spoken in tongues.

It could mean they were speaking in tongues and expressing "magnifying God" in other ways.

It is possible to do so, you know?

Guest nodnarb

Acts 19:6

it speaks of them speaking in tongues and propheseizing. My point is, tongues IS understood and discernable. If not understood it will atleast be known that it is a tongue. NOt gibberish. I believe I have heard gibberish before. Tongues will be as evident to the ear. As for the one or ones that claim to have spoken, heard or experienced tongue, i do NOT deny tongue. Amen and how blessed are you!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/21/1968

Sure, its in plain 5th grade english.

1 Corinthians 14:2 - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Romans 8:26 - Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear

1 Corinthians 14:14 - For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:15 - What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Paul contrasts "praying in the Spirit" with "Praying with understanding". Therefore we know that even the speaker does not understand his own "Prayer language".

there are three "Gifts" Relating to tongues. There is the "Prayer language" which is the same thing as the "Evidence" of Speaking in tongues, which accompanies the initial Holy Spirit infilling, which is available to EVERY believer who has the Holy Spirit.

Next there is "Gift of Diversities of Tongues", which is essentially "Prophecy", only in a language NOT understood by the speaker, and usually not understood by the hearer either, though in some cases there are exceptions, such as the Day of Pentecost, etc. This is only for those who are called to an office that uses it, such as prophet, apostle, evangelist, pastor, teacher, etc. Of course,a s I keep saying, it will always agree 100% with scripture, and often contains a scriptural quote.

Then there is "Gift of Interpretation of Tongues", this is given in tandem with the above gift, which then the new speaker gives, by the Holy Spirit, the meaning of the initial utterance in tongues, to the congregation. Sometimes it is the same person who gives the original utterance. Sometimes it is a different person. When these two gifts work together they equal "Prophecy", with the exception that up to two speakers may be involved in a single utterance, and also in some situations the Lord speaks directly to a person who speaks the "Tongue" naturally and confirms it in the "Common" language. If the "tongues" utterance is hungarian, for example, and a person from hungary is in the congregation, they will understand both the tongue and the english interpretation. But this does not happen every time. Again, only a person with the specific calling and gift will use this. When interpreted, it will always agree 100% with scripture, and often contain a scriptural quote.

Thank you for posting this WhySoBlind, I just got home from workand was catching up on the posts, so i could respond, but you did already! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If you do a Hewbrew Translation of "Speaking in Tongues"..you will understand that it really means speaking in a different Language. IT is not referred to a gibberish that no-one can understand. Believe me..I was raised as a Charismatic and I did ALOT OF "speaking in Tongues" until I married a Jew and learned the TRUE meaning of Speaking in Tongues.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

If you ASK God to be "baptized in the Holy Spirit" then you are asking Him for the gift of tongues. You either have that gift or you don't.

One does not need to ask God to be "baptized in the Holy Spirit". When Christ left Earth, He promised He would send the Holy Spirit to the believers. Every born again believer already has the Spirit within them. There is no separate act of receiving the Spirit. :emot-hug:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%!! I did a study on this some years back and discovered that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is when we receive Christ as Savior and receive the Holy Spirit to dwell within us. We don't need a separate receiving or filling or baptism of the Holy Spirit. He is in us at the moment of regeneration and as we put off the things of this world, he is able to have more and more of us and we are able to be continually be being filled with the Spirit.

I Corinthians 12:7-11:

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

I Corinthians 12:27-31:

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

I Corinthians 14:1-5:

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

I speak in tongues. To some it may sound like gibberish if they never heard someone speak in tongues before. To some it peaks their interest to find out more. Others still may raise an eyebrow from past experiences in other churches. I speak in tongues when I'm alone for the most part.

Other than the reference to the fact that Jesus would baptize us with the Holy Spirit, what other references talk about "baptism of the Holy Spirit"? I can't find any. I don't see any that describe what it is and I see no examples of anyone in the bible being "baptized in the Holy Spirit."

Also, there are many instances in scripture where people received the gift of the Holy Spirit but did not speak in tongues.

Those of you who teach "baptism of the Holy Spirit" as a separate working of the Holy Spirit apart from salvation, would you be so kind as to give me the verses that support this?

Those of you who teach that you must speak in tongues when you receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, would you support that with scripture, please? Show me where that is taught in the Bible. And, how do you answer the verses in I Corinthians that imply that not all believers have this gift?