LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I think sometimes we limit God. When we say stuff like, "God would not use (filling the blank) for his work ". Because it does not fit with our traditional ways of doing things. I think God can and dose work in ways that are unlimited and at times, untraditional. And before you even start down that road I am not talking about things that are clearly from the dark side. Such as Ouija boards, tarot cards or well you know that sort of stuff. Nope! Not what I am talking about. So anyway........Do you agree? Disagree? I am sure you will let me know. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I agree.  I think you hit the nail on the head about traditional thinking.  I have heard certain teachings over and over that have been derived from someones studies that is just an opinion, but when they say it enough, it becomes truth to them.  I do not put God in any box.  He gave us His Word so we know we need Him and how we could return to Him.  Yet, not everything, not every idea, not every thought or action God ever did or will do can be found in scripture.  Some people lack the faith to allow God to be God.  They take scripture and use His words as s box, and if it is not in scripture, it is not true.  I believe if it goes against scripture, it is not true, but I also realize that God does not use the bible as His only guideline as not everything is in scripture.  God gave us just enough truth to know Him, not to fully understand Him or His ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I think God can and dose work in ways that are unlimited and at times, untraditional.

YHVH always worked as He chose to,  without regard to man or man's habits or other nations,

i.e. "untraditional".

And He warned His people NOT to follow NOR study the ways of the other nations/ mankind/ society,

so, since YHVH was and is never constrained by "tradition", 

or in other words He is always "untraditional" ,

what is it actually , if anything,  that limits Him?  Or who limits Him ? 

YHVH does not fit in "our traditional ways" today,  He is never regulated by tradition and Jesus actually opposed the religious traditions of the Jewish leaders , and of religious leaders of gentiles for the last 2000 years.....  so again, what or who is it who limits Him ? 

41 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

what is it actually , if anything,  that limits Him?  Or who limits Him ? 

People who complain when their church does something new. Like change the music, or put on a play. They look upon such stuff with judgement and scorn and put it stop to it before it can even get off the ground. The church never grows.  They lock themselves inside the church because that is how they always done things, never reaching out to the community around them. Stuff like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,597
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, LadyKay said:

People who complain when their church does something new. Like change the music, or put on a play. They look upon such stuff with judgement and scorn and put it stop to it before it can even get off the ground. The church never grows.  They lock themselves inside the church because that is how they always done things, never reaching out to the community around them. Stuff like that. 

Well, the above quote seems much akin to a carping criticism in of itself to me.  It seems to me to be another form of finding fault, in what is in need of Jesus because it is flawed- that being  fallen creation's man and woman.

Music is the worship,  it should be looked at  for content and doctrine as well as emotion, for edification of the local body of Christ Jesus. That  does lead to some pretty interesting and to me confusing conclusions.

My own senior pastor has a strong dislike of "In The Garden". He will not allow it as part of our worship  of our creator. He says it leads to misconceptions for no one walks in the garden alone nor has experiences only known to them. Okay- but the worship was written specifically as an account of the experience of Mary Magdalene. Seen in context, I find it most lifting, doctrinally accurate and a praise to God to be sung in worship of Him.

Am I to part company for the difference? No! But the great majority of church splits include or come about over worship ( music)  issues. Whether the pipe organ is the devil's instrument, or drums, or any instrument whatsoever, except a pitch pipe, the emotion seems to be the same- I want my way, if I don't get my way I'm gone. And it is so that by this delusion of men and women God created  what  is called "blessed subtraction".

It is to my mind's quirky eye the local church body's version of acting out a Kenny Rogers tune- Thank God and Greyhound.... she's gone. Be better to be more tolerant of the other person's limits I suppose, much as Paul urged of the saints.

41 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well, the above quote seems much akin to a carping criticism in of itself to me.

I was asked to explain myself and so I did. 

Yes and I understand that.  It's okay, I just find humor in the thought that a lament is a lament no matter what about  or who makes it.

It's the nature of the beast to lament and think it constructive. It is harder to follow Paul's instruction and desire for our behavior.

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.  One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.  Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.  Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.  The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.  For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself.  For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's.  For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God;  for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
    and every tongue shall confess to God.”

So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.  I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.  For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.  So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.  Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.  So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin."

25 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother?

I'm not mad or anything and I understand what you are saying.  But I did try to generalize my post by pointing out the actions and not the person. Perhaps I did not word it as best as I could?  Anyway,  it does seems like most of the post on this form look like  a passing of judgment on our brothers/sisters. It is kind of like "you must believe as I believe or you are lost in your sins" kind of attitude that I get from some posters. 

Hi, And hey it gave me a fine additional time in the word of our God, the Bible, plus it gave me some person thinking time too. It is a good thing for me. Thanks.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I'm not mad or anything and I understand what you are saying.  But I did try to generalize my post by pointing out the actions and not the person. Perhaps I did not word it as best as I could?  Anyway,  it does seems like most of the post on this form look like  a passing of judgment on our brothers/sisters. It is kind of like "you must believe as I believe or you are lost in your sins" kind of attitude that I get from some posters. 

What is the Standard* to use ?  What Standard does YHVH give to use, and say to use, always ?

*Standard to judge any activity, doctrine, practice, thought, emotion , anything ?

• Thumbs Up 1