IGNORED

Jesus telling us to hate our brother, mother, etc.

Frisbinator

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1980

Oh yeah? Well I hate all of you!

(Just using the old greek term!)

Guest mercadorudy

Everthing is in Christ Jesus. There is nothing outside of Him. He must be first in your life, because it is in Him that we have our being.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Oh yeah? Well I hate all of you!

(Just using the old greek term!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha kinda like that.

In context its like me saying i hate you guys over my brother. That just means i love my brother more then you guys it all.

Jesus said not to hate :thumbsup:

When Jesus said to hate you mom because of Jesus it meant to Love Jesus more then your mom. :24:

• Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

There is one thing I would like to point out:

Jesus would not have mentioned "Love thy neighbour as thyself", if he had wanted us to hate everone!

I am probably not presenting it perfectly....but...... :thumbsup:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/02/1952

Check it out, Luke 14:

26 "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

What the? What does Jesus mean hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters? I'm lost!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow this one runs the gambit. Which one do you pick? Do you think there could be a translation problem?

Luke 14:26 (King James Version)

26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:26 (The Message)

26"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters--yes, even one's own self!-can't be my disciple.

Luke 14:26 (Amplified Bible)

26If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his [own] father and mother [[a]in the sense of indifference to or relative disregard for them in comparison with his attitude toward God] and [likewise] his wife and children and brothers and sisters--[yes] and even his own life also--he cannot be My disciple.

Luke 14:26 (Young's Literal Translation)

26`If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple;

-------------------------------------------------

I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American.

Daniel Webster

US diplomat, lawyer, orator, & politician (1782 - 1852)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/01/1988

Check it out, Luke 14:

26 "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

What the? What does Jesus mean hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters? I'm lost!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow this one runs the gambit. Which one do you pick? Do you think there could be a translation problem?

Luke 14:26 (King James Version)

26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:26 (The Message)

26"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters--yes, even one's own self!-can't be my disciple.

Luke 14:26 (Amplified Bible)

26If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his [own] father and mother [[a]in the sense of indifference to or relative disregard for them in comparison with his attitude toward God] and [likewise] his wife and children and brothers and sisters--[yes] and even his own life also--he cannot be My disciple.

Luke 14:26 (Young's Literal Translation)

26`If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple;

-------------------------------------------------

I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American.

Daniel Webster

US diplomat, lawyer, orator, & politician (1782 - 1852)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd probably stick with the KJV with some really heavy-duty footnotes. But maybe that's just my dislike of some of the modern "paraphrases" showing through again :whistling:

Anyway, this sort of extreme language concept shows up in a number of Bible verses, as well as in some extrabiblical literature.

A good explanatory article, brief though it is, can be found here.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,162
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Here is the meaning of the greek word that is used for hate in this sentence. The color change is mine to draw attention to that part.

NT:3404

NT:3404

<START GREEK>mise/w

<END GREEK> miseo (mis-eh'-o); from a primary misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less

KJV - hate (-ful).

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Brings to mind the story of Hannah and her son Samuel and in contrast, Eli and his 2 sons, Hophni and Phinehas. Hannah understood the love for the Lord and gave her regard to the Lord completely which involved giving her son to Him. Eli on the otherhand did NOT hate his sons in comparison to the Lord, and when they began to disregard the Lord with contempt, Eli did not fear the Lord, more than his sons. His regard for his sons was greater, therefore they ALL died. Big difference.

(It's in 1 Samuel 1-4)

In His Love,

Suzanne