pg4Him

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

How do you evangelize to neighbors who grew up in church and now hate Christians? How do you overcome the stigma of worldly, career-driven, self-absorbed church members they grew up with? They look at me and say, sure you're a very nice person with an undeniable spiritual connection, but that is in spite of (not because of ) your Christianity.

People like this are a dime a dozen in my community.

Edited by Steve_S
Changed title to something more appropriate.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

12 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

How do you evangelize to neighbors who grew up in church and now hate Christians? How do you overcome the stigma of worldly, career-driven, self-absorbed church members they grew up with? They look at me and say, sure you're a very nice person with an undeniable spiritual connection, but that is in spite of (not because of ) your Christianity.

Many people who grew up in church but now hate Christians were more than likely hurt by those very people.....(myself included)...so the best way to evangelize to them is to be consistent in showing the Love of Christ,, the fruits of the Spirit to them, to overcome them by the words of your testimony....to speak Truth with compassion.....to see them through His eyes...to not have any biased or judgmental preconceived ideas towards them...to share God's Word in faith believing that it will not return to Him void but accomplish that which it was sent to do.

After many horrible and negative experiences with church members (namely pastors...i.e. one even came to my apartment wanting to have sex)....I cried out to Jesus and said why are these pastors and elders of the church so hurtful? Do I have a sign on my forehead that says persecute me? That was when Jesus said do not put your faith in man but Keep your eyes (focus) on me for I will never fail you.....that was when I learned that just because someone is a pastor or has a position in the church doesn't make them above temptation....in fact they are more prone to temptation as a device from the enemy to cause them to stumble....when a pastor errs he causes a great deal more damage to God's sheep than others do.

What others say about you is not what His Word says about you....I remind people in my life that I do not base my sense of worth off of what other's think about me but what my Father says about me.....and my Father says I am the apple of his eye, I am wonderfully and beautifully created, I am His child and He is a jealous Father and will not let anyone snatch me out of His hand.....I am called for His purpose and Glory not theirs. 

People who come against you with words of condemnation are being used of the enemy to cause your faith to weaken.....put on your armor....guard your heart....and when these people come along just smile and let His Love shine through you....be not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.....

God Bless

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

36 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

YOU DO as JESUS said too do.     Speak BY the SPIRIT , if they receive It amen, if not move on .    We cannot give the increase .

Many men have sat under men who were trained by men , by high and mighty scholars .  In fact those scholars and men of renown have they set up SO high in their hearts

these men sit as though in the clouds and every time these men piss on the people ,  they cry alas its rain from the heavens .    Many have badly been dooped .   badly .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

1Jn_3:13  Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
Joh_15:18  If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

My personal observation in my church is most actual Christians, are at various stages in their spiritual growth/maturity, as am I, and everyone on this forum. And as yet we have not 'arrived' to perfection, we all carry imperfections, still. Some are hidden. Some are observable, as most anybody has  witnessed here on this 'Christian' forum, where many leave because of what they have observed. I have seen a noticeable number  of visitors and new members leave our church without much reason when ask. Some do voice their reason, and usually it is a quick emotional reaction to a hurt, real or assumed. I have visited with some who have left, to encourage them or try another church, and I observe most actually did not require much to offend them, and were looking for an excuse to stay home, or start their own group of believers to fellowship, with those who met their beliefs or choice of music.  And later might see them, and ask if they found a good church, and they give much of what you wrote above, sometimes with much anger. I understand your frustration in not being to solve the problem, to get people saved and belonging to a fellowship of believers to grow and support one another. But my bible says for us to do what we are led of the spirit, and leave the results to God. Narrow is the gate.

Witnessing to your neighbors or strangers does not require a church, nor do you have to defend the church. The purpose is to lead them to Christ.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Witnessing to your neighbors or strangers does not require a church, nor do you have to defend the church. The purpose is to lead them to Christ

EXACTLY .    When we witness we simply preach CHRIST and HIS pattern.     I preach no religion and point to no denomination .

WE point to JESUS ONLY , we speak and exhort by HIS sayings only and we do so BY HIS SPIRIT .     SO simple and on that note ,   yes

some of you all know what I am about to say............on that note....................PRAISE THE LORD PEOPLES  ,  yeah PRAISE THE LORD .

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you all for the advice! You’ve given me lots to think about. 

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

When I was a kid, there was a spot of drama in the church over our preacher. He had made a mistake about 15 years prior and the congregation was voting to have him replaced... Except my own family. We liked the pastor and my parents reasoned that everyone makes mistakes. Thus, we were invited to never return. To this day, my parents haven't been to another church. It has taken me quite some time to come back around to Christianity, as with that time, I came to realize that there's a difference between the word and the people. We all fall short, and I know I certainly can't claim to be perfect.

The most you can do is just lay it down on the table and see what they do with it. You can open doors, but if they aren't willing to cross that threshold, there isn't much that can be done.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gary Lee said:

I have seen a noticeable number  of visitors and new members leave our church without much reason when ask. Some do voice their reason, and usually it is a quick emotional reaction to a hurt, real or assumed. I have visited with some who have left, to encourage them or try another church, and I observe most actually did not require much to offend them, and were looking for an excuse to stay home, or start their own group of believers to fellowship, with those who met their beliefs or choice of music. 

I feel compelled to speak in defense of my church-quitting brethern here. I have left a church or two in my day, and I have many Christian friends with no home church. 

People tend to leave a church for abstract reasons they can’t really articulate. It boils down to them feeling like they aren’t being fed and they don’t fit in. Most people will overlook a petty insult now and then as long as they’re emotionally invested in the church.

@Gary Lee I do not mean this about your church in particular. I am not accusing your church. This is just me speaking from personal experience after living in six different states.

Many times I found myself sitting in a church thinking “this pastor has low character, this teaching is remedial, I’ve heard softer music at a Metallica concert, and I can’t believe I’m driving across town for this.” Several times we had to leave churches because the music gave us splitting headaches every Sunday. Complain about it, and you’re a nitpicky critic. Rarely did anyone follow up when we quit. If they did follow up, what was I supposed to say? They loved their church. It worked for them. What good would come from me insulting their whole church?

Church quitters know that people will be angry no matter what they say. So you just try to escape the situation with as little damage as possible.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

2 hours ago, pg4Him said:

Let's approach it using your own (crude but effective) analogy:

"How do we fish for men when too many Christians have already peed in the pond?"

I think the answer is to create a new pond, with water that is as clean and clear as possible. Water, btw, is often symbolic of the word, which is supposed to run clear and clean from the throne of God Himself, like the river of life. So the answer would seem to be in praying that you can help develop a church where the water is pure and fresh, and where the Spirit of God is in full manifestation such that the fruit of the Spirit and His gifts are blatantly evident to all.

Would this be an easy thing to do? No. But it seems you are essentially answering your own question from the start: You have to create a new pond; one that is so different by comparison that they will know by seeing it only once that there is something entirely different about it, and that the first pond was actually just a filthy counterfeit of the type of atmosphere the Spirit of God Himself creates.

Edited by Hidden In Him
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

1 minute ago, Hidden In Him said:

Let's approach it using your own (crude but effective) analogy:

"How do we fish for men when too many Christians have already peed in the pond?"

I think the answer is to create a new pond, with water that is as clean and clear as possible. Water, btw, is often symbolic of the word, which is supposed to run clear and clean from the throne of God Himself, like the river of life. So the answer would seem to be in praying that you can help develop a church where the water is pure and fresh, and where the Spirit of God is in full manifestation such that the fruit of the Spirit and His gifts are blatantly evident to all.

Would this be an easy thing to do? No. But it seems you are essentially answering your own question from the start: You have to create a new pond; one that is so different by comparison that they will know by seeing it only once that there is something entirely different about it, and that the first pond was actually just a filthy counterfeit of the type of atmosphere the Spirit of God Himself creates.

And sorry about all the typos in that post (corrected now). Sometimes I'm just writing way too fast, LoL.

• Haha 1