• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hear the Holy Spirit, repent, and be saved. Yes, share the word of God and give good testimony in word and in deed, yes! But save, save money, save at all costs  and sacrifice  of today's needs and desires, save for the future! For there may be a future after all.

I read an article about Warren Buffet. He lives in the $35,000 house he bought in the 1950's. He eats breakfast out each day before he gets into the work office at what, age 84? He has three breakfast choices he sticks to, and he has his wife set out the exact change to the penny for his breakfast each day.  $3.17 is the maximum he pays on good stock market days as he goes through McDonald's each morning. On bad stock days he buys only the sausage bisquit, and he makes his decision before he leaves the house with the exact change in a cup in his car. And he never ever pays $2.50 for a coffeee lattee anywhere. He can make a cup of coffee for 13 cents.

He invests because he enjoys investing. He bought his first share of stock at age eleven.

And yet  the world at large cannot save. At America, the USA,  some forty percent of all the people have no savings at all at retirement. None! I bet many of them ordered the $2.50 coffee latte and the double big burger, while driving  their cars that shined but were leased as they drove up to the take out food windows. And did so year after year after year.

Hey, people live to be 90 and more! Trying to find empty bottles and cans for salvage at age 87 can be a bit of a task. So save, save every day in every way  possible, so that there will be something for later. Invest, make the savings grow.  Do not bury the money, or worse spend it on a latte or double size burger.

A crummy dollar a say saved is $365 a year, invest it,  even at 3% return every year without fail and there will be retirement funds waiting, even if the market places go down, go up, go sideways, keep investing, do so with study and  constant watchfulness. Be saved yes, and also be wise and save.

I am now 74 and I may be needing my soul even today, but I may also be living until I am ninety or more years old. And I too need to still save and invest for life on this fallen creation just as I need to plan for my eternal security by investing in the word of God.

Prais e he Lord for the opportunity  and the duty to save.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

What a contradiction to What JESUS said .   Store not up,    no man knows what may happen on the morrow , 

The rich man thought the same thing neighbor,    I will store up and my soul will have rest in its retirement .  ONLY THING was ,  his soul was REQUIRED of him that very night

and then whose goods were those .    Neighbor ,   man for a second I thought neighbor has one mighty wonderful post , till I seen the money talk , and it died right their .

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

Hope his 84.5 billion doller net worth goes to the poor.

That Camel might otherwise struggle to go through the eye of the needle.

Also longevity is linked to honor to your parents, not in the honor of mammon or the babylonian market system that has destroyed nations, so while Warren might be a good ripe old age it has nothing to do with being saved or his financial status, I am to think you meant to post this on April 1st before noon?

Strange advice for believers if ever I saw it.

Edited by Dan_79

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

Quick to listen, slow to speak.   Not vise versa.

Warren Buffet is from parents and grand parents of the Great depression. As is Neighbor and I. The modern generation has no understanding of the word thrift, nor what it means to be frugal.  How to invest in the future. Everything is ''I want it now"  Live for the present.  As kids, we washed the tinfoil. Day old bread, and produce, half price. Never saw a bright yellow green banana without brown spots  till I went to boot camp at eighteen.  I live in a dark house most of the time. I cut off lights when not in the room. I clean paper plates for reuse. No food down the drain, something needs it, dogs or chickens or the garden. Kids learned to save for their bike. Not a new one, but the neighbors used one. And that bike was for the paper route. To make MONEY. Money is not good or bad. How it is obtained, how it is used. God talks a lot about money, riches, and being poor. He blesses with riches! Sometimes it's even in money form! (gotcha :) ) Tis better to give than receive. I am mister cheap. Never owned a new car, never will. Our family has no debt, for many years now.  My wife and I decided on how to invest our savings. In our kids, and them to their kids. They all know how to save. That is wise. We not only THEN support our own needs and desires, we are able to help those who cannot. Those who did not have money set aside for emergency. Savings. God has supplied all our assets, money, home, land, etc. He owns it, and we are His steward of them. As cheap/frugal as we are, we live better than most of the world. Blessed beyond measure. I save for the future because it is the right thing to do. My barn has hay in it, not money. Daniel stored for the future, for the bad years. We could learn from the bible.

A penny saved, IS, a penny earned.      Ben Franklin 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

I will stay with that particular encouragement.

But; thanks for reading, Dan.

Somehow I think Warren has already given more to the poor than either of us combined may have ability to even imagine earning and giving. What do you think? Might he have done just that a few times over in his life? 

The thoughts have absolutely nothing to do with gaining  long life, just preparing as though one might live it out without facing the sad fate so many evidently  must face now. Saved individuals die young all the time.

----

At seventy four, I now face the thought; wow I could be one of those that live way past 72 years and will need money to do so even though I have had to retire from work this year after being blessed with fine and satisfied employers for my life span. I saw that; oops, I am not able to leap tall buildings and run faster than speeding locomotives any longer.  Though my employer is still happy with my efforts I see it is time, the Holy Spirit is bringing  up others to replace me, I am freed from my present post.

Is my plight to be that I must live on, do so on unfunded government controlled ponzi schemes like Social Security,  go through my own savings and gifts so  fortunately  received? Or might I still be able to  invest wisely, and earn enough to live on and to still be sufficiently funded, not to be a burden upon the next generation coming behind me. And if I am able, do I not have an absolute duty to do so? I am old enough to know how many of us have hit really hard times, have been wiped out other than  government Ponzi schemes, and are in severe need today. more than half cannot retire and have money come Friday for the next week's needs. That has nothing to do with whether they are Christian's or not. And so I am thinking the idea of just  holding on, just earning a few pennies from savings may not be the way God wants His gifts to me to be used.Maybe He want sit invested in a way that continues opportunity to live the life cycle without ending up with hand out in real need for the day's food.

At seventy four, I do wish I had read of Warren's severe frugality earlier, back when I was much younger. I would indeed have skipped many a $2.50 latte and a $15 dollar city restaurant breakfast. And boy, do I wish I had invested long term in such things as CocaCola? You bet!

Just think, if I had bought my first share of stock at age eleven instead of my first 45 RPM rock and roll records that I later gave away to the salvation army curbside  pick up! Perhaps God would also think me to be the wiser servant today for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The billionaire investor just donated another 18.6 million Class B shares of Berkshire Hathaway worth $3.17 billion to five different foundations. That puts his total charitable contribution to the organizations at $27.54 billion in just over ten years

$27.54 billion...............in ten years.

In addition to his own contributions, Buffett joined with Bill and Melinda Gates in 2010 to launch the Giving Pledge initiative that seeks to address society's most pressing problems by asking the “world’s wealthiest individuals and families to dedicate the majority of their wealth to giving back.”

14 billionaires join Buffett, Gates in giving away more than half their money

But.         My salvation, and my families, a GIFT NOT EARNED, is so beyond all that wealth. I'm not jealous of them. At all. I am the richest man I know.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

1 hour ago, Gary Lee said:

Quick to listen, slow to speak.   Not vise versa.

Warren Buffet is from parents and grand parents of the Great depression. As is Neighbor and I. The modern generation has no understanding of the word thrift, nor what it means to be frugal.  How to invest in the future. Everything is ''I want it now"  Live for the present.  As kids, we washed the tinfoil. Day old bread, and produce, half price. Never saw a bright yellow green banana without brown spots  till I went to boot camp at eighteen.  I live in a dark house most of the time. I cut off lights when not in the room. I clean paper plates for reuse. No food down the drain, something needs it, dogs or chickens or the garden. Kids learned to save for their bike. Not a new one, but the neighbors used one. And that bike was for the paper route. To make MONEY. Money is not good or bad. How it is obtained, how it is used. God talks a lot about money, riches, and being poor. He blesses with riches! Sometimes it's even in money form! (gotcha :) ) Tis better to give than receive. I am mister cheap. Never owned a new car, never will. Our family has no debt, for many years now.  My wife and I decided on how to invest our savings. In our kids, and them to their kids. They all know how to save. That is wise. We not only THEN support our own needs and desires, we are able to help those who cannot. Those who did not have money set aside for emergency. Savings. God has supplied all our assets, money, home, land, etc. He owns it, and we are His steward of them. As cheap/frugal as we are, we live better than most of the world. Blessed beyond measure. I save for the future because it is the right thing to do. My barn has hay in it, not money. Daniel stored for the future, for the bad years. We could learn from the bible.

A penny saved, IS, a penny earned.      Ben Franklin 

I disagree.

Warren Buffet is rich (in the present time).

Seek scripture regarding warnings to the rich in earthly treasures. My opinion aside. They may find they have already been paid in full.

Also his generation were in it to win it, what state will the children who now inherit the earth be in?

Seriously, if your going to be quick to defend one generation over another then consider at least how you suppose is best to hand the reigns over to that generation. When daddy has spent his whole life feeding the beast and it comes for his kids what is he to say to his kids, sorry your losing your identity, country, land, health...at least you wont be embarrassed oit witj you daddy in this ride.

Charity? The ones who pay exorbitantly high salaries to CEO's? Is that not an old boys club? What about charitable deeds....you don't need money for that.

What about alarming figures of adults still at home living with mummy and daddy due to the inability to get on the property ladder so they can start a family and have kids....while grandad plays the property market to get his houses filled with violent invaders.

Sounds like washing tinfoil might of been better long term.

I here this all to often.

"Kids these days..."

Taught and given example by the former generations. They don't stand a chance without good role models or upstanding God fearing parents.

Edited by Dan_79
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

@Neighbor   I tend to agree with much you've said.  I'm in my mid 50s.

My wife and I lived frugally our entire lives.  Our house has been paid off for about 7 or 8 years.  We've got money in the bank (and we're living off savings at the moment).  About a year and a half ago, I had to leave my last job due to toxic levels of stress that pushed me to the point of physical collapse.  Having a large rainy day fund was a blessing.  I'd have likely been in an early grave or suffering severe physical problems if I couldn't have taken several months off.  God's blessed me with some nice consulting jobs that have kept the savings topped off at a comfortable level.  I always maxed out my retirement contributions to get the employer's match.  That's been sitting there growing for years and has been untouched.  (Of course, IRAs are market and economy dependent!)  

Our 3 kids (late 20s and early 30s) learned from our example.  2 college degrees (+ 2 years w/no degree) between them and no debt.  Indeed, all 3 (2 of them married) have no debt and money in the bank.  The oldest and her husband own their house and homestead property without debt.  The middle and her husband are considering doing something similar.  The youngest graduated college with no debt and money in the bank.  We were all sitting around talking last year  and all 3 kids were telling us that one of the greatest gifts we gave them was an example of simple living (along with a love for books and reading and learning).  Within our family unit?  1 PhD, 4 BS degrees, 2 sons-in-law who can build a house and do construction work, a handful of people who can grow their own food, and some of the most intellectually stimulating conversations I've had.

We're in the process of moving to be nearer my wife's mom.  We're looking for God's leading on a new house.  We're considering and praying about possibly  using the proceeds from our current house either into "in place flips" or owning some rental properties to generate some passive income.

It is not about "trusting" in money.  It is about using money and savings as a tool to wisely and efficiently convert our time into liberty and freedom to serve Christ!  I had planned to work to 65 or so, but God had other plans.  At 55, I'm semi-retired and starting to write books rather than sitting in an office.  Our kids are already adopting lifestyles of freedom at a much younger age than we did.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yowm said:

“Earn all you can, give all you can, save all you can” -John Wesley

"Spend all you can on yourself with the least effort" -Today's Consumer

...my, we have come a long way.

Perhaps, and yes I have some extreme examples within my own family. Yet, I think many are not deliberately trying to live beyond their means as much as they are not working efficiently and with enough discipline to stay well within it, and still save.

One colony neighborhood of my youth had the business mantra of take ten percent off the top and put it aside no matter how the week, month, and years were going. Ten percent in case the business goes broke so that they can start another if necessary. They would not put any of that ten percent back into the business it came from. These were the Armenians that had fled their homeland to survive in the local city  ghetto at America.

Anyway, it is a horror to think that in truth so many individuals, more than half, in this land are dead broke at retirement age if the stipend doesn't come on the 3rd. Dead broke at 65, good people, Christians, but dead broke, and facing  a future where they can't dance the dance anymore for the bones have aged. It is a huge tragedy unfolding now.

Wesley did not increase his needs and desires even as his income grew, but he was not so silly as to try to give away  what was required for his needs.

Warren Buffet seems to live much the same way in that he has kept his needs very basic.

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, Dan_79 said:

I disagree.

Warren Buffet is rich (in the present time).

Seek scripture regarding warnings to the rich in earthly treasures. My opinion aside. They may find they have already been paid in full.

Also his generation were in it to win it, what state will the children who now inherit the earth be in?

Seriously, if your going to be quick to defend one generation over another then consider at least how you suppose is best to hand the reigns over to that generation. When daddy has spent his whole life feeding the beast and it comes for his kids what is he to say to his kids, sorry your losing your identity, country, land, health...at least you wont be embarrassed oit witj you daddy in this ride.

Charity? The ones who pay exorbitantly high salaries to CEO's? Is that not an old boys club? What about charitable deeds....you don't need money for that.

What about alarming figures of adults still at home living with mummy and daddy due to the inability to get on the property ladder so they can start a family and have kids....while grandad plays the property market to get his houses filled with violent invaders.

Sounds like washing tinfoil might of been better long term.

I here this all to often.

"Kids these days..."

Taught and given example by the former generations. They don't stand a chance without good role models or upstanding God fearing parents.

Thanks for your reply, Dan.
I agree with you concerning the spiritual state of Mr. Buffet, or anybody, rich or poor or in between. I suppose you misunderstood my meaning. It is good to save money for the future, for a lot of reasons, and it is biblical. He who does not provide for his family? Any hard working father and mother understand the reality of life, and know the future is an unknown, with many ups and down, and an injury  can stop an income very quick, with only one income earner. Especially someone in business for themselves, as I am, and a family with no insurance, save God, and helpful friends. I do not begrudge Mr. Buffet his wealth, nor anybody, especially with his work ethic, and thrift. God says; Luk 16:10  He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much. The little things. I have known many wealthy business men who will tell you success is simple, work twice as hard and twice as long. No easy way. Those people help the with employees earning money and their spending stimulates the economy. I do not endorse those who use evil methods to acquire wealth. Nor a government subsidies enabling waste and corruption.

Dan;
'Seriously, if your going to be quick to defend one generation over another then consider at least how you suppose is best to hand the reigns over to that generation'.
Yes, I did and do compare, as an eye witness. Yes there is a difference. I agree with you, as my generating could have done better. There were reasons though. Most of those who went through hard times wanted better for their own. Dad working long, Moms went to work, kids in day care, and government schools then with no more prayer, sexual revolution of the sixties etc.  An explosion of change, technological advances swiftly moved us into a new age, which we were not prepared for. My wife and me raised our children the old way, they want, they work. All home schooled, paid their own college.  Taught saving money to purchase large items. They learned to shop flea markets and "thrift" stores. It was their hard earned money, they knew the value of each dollar, and they learned how stretch their income. With some little help, bought their own used cars, paid their own insurance. Today, twelve grand kids, homes schooled,  they also have no debt, save one almost paid  house mortgage. What I'm saying, my wife and I tried to do our part to hand the reigns over.    I trained my kids to be responsible patriotic citizens, work hard and earn their own way,  help less fortunate, and to love the Lord. 

Dan; "What about alarming figures of adults still at home living with mummy and daddy due to the inability to get on the property ladder so they can start a family and have kids....while grandad plays the property market to get his houses filled with violent invaders".

I have had adults working with me in their forties, still living with their mommies. They should have been kicked out at eighteen if they weren't going to school or college. When I turned eighteen, I couldn't wait to get away from home and be on my own, making my own decisions, living where I wanted, in my own place. Now days it's accepted, even defended, staying home, many living off their parents 'retirement savings'. That's wrong. These parents 'enable' the adult children to maintain their dysfunctional lifestyles. I'm NOT talking about those who for a real reason need help and a temporary place, or disabled. You say  "their  inability to get on the property ladder so they can start a family' They don't have to start close to the top just because they have a degree, they may have to get a blue collar  trade quickly and earn money to jump start their career. The work is there. If not move. Check out the borders and see, are they coming or leaving. They come because they know there is work, Americans won't do. Back when I hired help, I let most go. They did not know what being an employee meant, to show up on time, put in eight hours, and to pay attention, and leave their phones in their car, if they had one. In my son's business's, His employee turn overs were for a dozen hired, he might keep two. They only come for their paycheck. Won't do anything 'extra' to learn, or show any interest in their job. I don't think they have the enthusiasm for job advancement, to learn the business, as I had. I was always looking for ways to get ahead, to learn the 'secret' of success. We as parents have deprived our children of the very thing that gave us character, tough times, hard work, doing without. 
Dan; while grandad plays the property market to get his houses filled with violent invaders.  I'm a grand dad, and do get invaded regularly by invaders. And I thank God for all twelve of them. If they ever got violent, (never have)they would be shown the results of their actions. The only market I play is the food market, where I invest my money, and receive a great return, a content family. And those twelve invaders (grand kids) go home at the end of the invasion.

Dan; "Taught and given example by the former generations. They don't stand a chance without good role models or upstanding God fearing parents".
See above. My wife and I, our three children and their spouses, and twelve grand kids, is our God given heritage. Our example, our witness.

I think I understand some, of what you are trying to say Dan. I definitely am concerned about this generation, especially the millennial's. Parents, myself included, might have done better. Many though, have succeeded with very bad examples for parents. God was my example that gave me success, in spite of my dysfunctional family childhood. Remove those that enable a no work  lifestyle and they will learn to support themselves. Unless the government steps in with a bleeding liberal leading a new welfare program for millennial's, and trap them back in their lifestyles.

Pro 22:2  The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them all.

Proverbs 10:4-5 A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich. He who gathers in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who brings shame.

Proverbs 13:11 Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it

Pro 21:5  The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want.
Pro 21:25  The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour. He coveteth greedily all the day long: but the righteous giveth and spareth not.