• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,941
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

This might be one of those curly questions that are difficult to generalise about but "How do we know when to part company with individuals or groups that we have been associating and interacting with?"

Christians are called out of the world, out of darkness, out of bondage, and out of sin, and into God's Kingdom, into the light of the Gospel, into liberty in the body of Christ, and into righteousness, so what does that mean with regard to the direction we go, the intention we have, and the position we take? 

One thing is sure from Scripture, Christians are to consider one another and fellowship regularly, assembling or gathering to encourage and exhort one another.

Heb 10:23-25
(23)  Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
(24)  And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
(25)  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.

I remember well the departure of a highly regarded teaching elder from a congregation of around 300 gatherers being announced in a service as due to his not being happy with the direction the denomination was going in. A word of knowledge had been given to this elder at just the right time to help him decide that it was time to part company, so unhappiness is one thing but divine guidance should be sought and accepted as well, I believe.

Anyone...?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,189
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

This might be one of those curly questions that are difficult to generalise about but "How do we know when to part company with individuals or groups that we have been associating and interacting with?"

Christians are called out of the world, out of darkness, out of bondage, and out of sin, and into God's Kingdom, into the light of the Gospel, into liberty in the body of Christ, and into righteousness, so what does that mean with regard to the direction we go, the intention we have, and the position we take? 

One thing is sure from Scripture, Christians are to consider one another and fellowship regularly, assembling or gathering to encourage and exhort one another.

Heb 10:23-25
(23)  Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
(24)  And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
(25)  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.

I remember well the departure of a highly regarded teaching elder from a congregation of around 300 gatherers being announced in a service as due to his not being happy with the direction the denomination was going in. A word of knowledge had been given to this elder at just the right time to help him decide that it was time to part company, so unhappiness is one thing but divine guidance should be sought and accepted as well, I believe.

Anyone...?

If you wouldn’t  mind me chiming in. ??

This is where ones personal relationship with Christ is so vital. To know if one should go to the right or left. Scripture says “let the peace of Christ rule in your heart.”. (let it be the arbiter) So as with all things, a believer needs to be guided by what the Spirit of Christ is telling them. For God does lead His people by that “still small voice”. So I can stand with you that you might know that you know what the answer to your question is. 

much love in Christ, Not me

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

A soldier stands their post until assigned a new post to stand. Know that the unsaved world hates God and  his servants. Endure and persevere.

All of 2 Timothy 2  with additional emphasis on verses 3 and 4

"Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.

Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Neighbor said:
35 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

A soldier stands their post until assigned a new post to stand. Know that the unsaved world hates God and  his servants. Endure and persevere.

2 Tim 2:3-4

Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Definitely the principle for us too apply in ministry, Neighbor. Thanks for the input.

What if you have a friend of some years who is going off on a tangent into bogus teachings and pagan practices, persuaded by an influencer and convinced it is the leading of the Holy Spirit? After urging them to renounce their error and deception without success do you part company with that friend totally or partially or remain close?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Definitely the principle for us too apply in ministry, Neighbor. Thanks for the input.

What if you have a friend of some years who is going off on a tangent into bogus teachings and pagan practices, persuaded by an influencer and convinced it is the leading of the Holy Spirit? After urging them to renounce their error and deception without success do you part company with that friend totally or partially or remain close?

Hi, I suspect that won't ever happen*, for the reason that the individual will friend hate Jesus so much that they will part from His bond-servant. It will become do I remain their friend even though they will have nothing to do with me. And the answer for me is found in two sets of guidance, one for the brother and sisters, the brethren  found at Matthew eighteen; and the other a series of examples on warnings not to participate in what evil doers games are, but to pray for them in intercessory prayer to God the Father through Jesus without limit.

So what will I do? If physically possible I will share directly with my friend that now is distant, that I will continue in  prayer for them  in the name of my Lord Jesus, will always try to remain their friend,  and that should they too hear the call to their repentance I will be there in encouragement for them. In life that has happened; but in life too not everyone turns about either. It is painful to the heart to know and experience.

I can look at the long term experience in woe or in joy, for all deserve only separation from God and to pay the price of sin  against Him which is death, eternal death, however one sees that Biblically in their own mindset.  Fortunately God has shown mercy. He alone has reconciled that which is not reconcilable,sin and perfection, and I personally have been so fortunate as to  despite my own half a lifetime refusal, been turned about to my own repentence.

Oddly most of my deep friends and associates died long ago, some very close few at their age 47. That was an age I had always thought when I was a much younger person that I was "destined" to die. One close friend that didn't, suffered  greatly under an explosion, then had a stroke at that age, was severely paralyzed and died in recent past.

So my buddies they are very few, and they are the great hardworking servants tending physical assets of a local body of Christ Jesus. Plus at a different level, they are another group too, and are for the most part much much  younger adults that have become newly born again, or have grown up  at the church run school where I did work keeping the facilities in operation there.

Friends acquired late in life are a very different breed from friends of youth and younger adult times, as each carry very separate history's rather than experiencing them together as joint folly and sometimes sin in life. Their histories become the history  of being born again, and of the so wondrous stories shared at water baptisms, the testimony of individual saints.

So I think from the vantage of one just "forced" into work retirement or to now recover yet again, and to seek out  a new career at age 74, that it may be and likely is a very different challenge today  for individuals so much younger. Yet, truth is I see many of the young turn into amazingly strong saints in Christ, become fine family men and women, deacons deaconesses, and elders, teachers  even pastors and of course those with the gift of helps, my own gift of service these past 30 plus years. I am encouraged not discouraged.

I am still very young in the Lord, much to learn still, and hopefully  with some rich experience happy or sad, yet to come,  to continue to show me the awesome power that is God.

Praise God the Holy Spirit for revealing Jesus who is God the Son to me a sinner that denied God the Father God altogether until turned about to Him.

* I state it won't be likely , but it could I suppose. But my errant friend will find it so very uncomfortable around saints in Christ Jesus that I don't see it being a prolonged situation. I continued to be  a friend to one, but he never turned about to my knowledge. I learned from my uncle to be a friend to an enemy. As I was warning him about a businessman's evil deceptions, and to be very guarded in association with the man, that we were in a battle of business survival and  this man  was threatening our business;  He acknowledged me and said; "I may not be his friend, but he is mine." My uncle continued in that testimony for his lifetime and still does today. He never turned about the man,  but he sure influenced and aided my own turning about.

-----

Now I realize that is more than asked. It is a bit lengthy for this format on a general message board. I  perhaps should shorten it, but am led to leave it stand as is. May God continue to bless each as they too make the decisions of life and  companions within it.

Edited by Neighbor
to correct spelling
  • Loved it! 1

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Now I realize that is more than asked. It is a bit lengthy for this format on a general message board. I  perhaps should shorten it, but am led to leave it stand as is. May God continue to bless each as they too make the decisions of life and  companions within it.

Interesting testimony, Neighbor. It was quite short compared to some posts. ?

We see from this Scripture that we are to be patient to all people. I have found this necessary with those that are unruly, or feebleminded, or weak...there but for the grace of God go I. 

1Th 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See here we are shown there is a point where association with those who are ill-disciplined needs to cease in order to shame them:  

2Th 3:14-15
(14)  And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
(15)  Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

And see here how we are to avoid divisive people and anyone who contradicts the sound doctrine of Scriptures, and to be harmless where evil would otherwise take place, it being wise to obey Christ in doing good.

Rom 16:17-19
(17)  Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned; and avoid them.
(18)  For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
(19)  For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

There are some more Scriptures that describe people we are to withdraw from, perhaps they will also come to light in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Jesus parted with His family: 

One time Jesus entered a house, and the crowds began to gather again. Soon he and his disciples couldn’t even find time to eat.21 When his family heard what was happening, they tried to take him away. “He’s out of his mind,” they said.32 There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers[f] are outside asking for you. 33 Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 34 Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. 35 Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:20-21, 32-35, Holy Bible)

Parting can even happen between titans of the faith: 

Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus.” (Acts 15:37-39)

• Thumbs Up 1