• Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, naominash said:

Fiction is my weakness. 

But not all of it's bad. 

That’s true, I recently read The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. 

• This is Worthy 1

3 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

I still enjoy fiction reading. Dont get me wrong i love reading the bible and commentaries and the like-but sometimes I think its good for the soul, at least for me and let my imagination run wild while immersed in a good western novel.

I have found good fiction can improve your vocabulary so you are better able to comprehend the non-fiction and Bible just by increasing your vocabulary.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18

1 minute ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I have found good fiction can improve your vocabulary so you are better able to comprehend the non-fiction and Bible just by increasing your vocabulary.

I  agree, I think fiction can be useful in expanding your vocabulary. I am reading “Sense and Sensibility” by Jane Austen, and already I know that when you want to accept and agree passively you acquiescence. :D 

What I said earlier about losing interest in world  (Phillipians 3:8, 15) still stands,at the same time I also think that you can enjoy fiction as long as if edifies you in someway, “What then is it, brothers? When you may come together, each has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.” (1 Corinthians 14:26)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,717
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

At the risk of derailing,  I grew up reading my dad's Louis L'Amour and Zane Gray books.   I think to some extent at a younger age the general theme of right versus wrong and being a man of integrity who could be depended on to do right by people had some influence on me.    <back to the topic.> 

My sons middle name is Zane after Zane Gray lol. Honestly though my favorite western author is probably william Johnstone.

Its important to note there are so good christian fiction writers out there as well. My favorite being Frank Perretti. I dont think anyone else has ever managed to master spiritual warfare quite as well as he.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

That’s true, I recently read The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. 

I absolutely love that book.

• Followers:  18

Just now, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I absolutely love that book.

The final chapter “The Fifth of October,” is one every Christian should read. 

I admit I was surprised how it was almost the antithis of the 2002 film with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pierce. How the Co Nt’s revenge in book is ruthless while more regal in the film. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, HisFirst said:

I'm starting to lose interest in things fictitious, whether books or movies, TV shows.

Am I turning into the worlds biggest bore or is this a natural development in the life of a follower of Christ?

I feel like I'm wasting my time.

* have also been thinking of valuable material possessions in my care that really at the end of the day will not exist and will mean zilch. So I am even looking at things with those eyes and trying not to get too attached to things.

Hi, Which specific genre of fiction, if any, are you referring to?

I read and write Christian fiction. Most of the Christian novels I've read are about lack of faith in God to overcome life's biggest hurdles or past guilts. The stories I've written are mostly based on my personal experience with God or church life.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,272
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

With regards to material things, over the years my wife and I have taken the view that we are stewards of such things.  We lived frugally with minimal debt.  We've not been affluent, but we've been comfortable and contented.

Sounds like the grand old alf is (very) wise.................default_cool2.gif.d283b0b79cdd53393a427ed3f0bc536f.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

20 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

With regards to material things, over the years my wife and I have taken the view that we are stewards of such things.  We lived frugally with minimal debt.  We've not been affluent, but we've been comfortable and contented.

Sounds like the grand old alf is (very) wise.................default_cool2.gif.d283b0b79cdd53393a427ed3f0bc536f.gif

On some things yes, on others no.  :) In hindsight, I wish I had not expended so much energy and intensity on being a good employee, working hard, etc.  I was not a poster child for being a workaholic, but I all too often took what I was doing way too seriously and it affected my personal life more than it should have.  Combining this with being very active in many ministries and active in the lives of our kids, I ran myself into the ground without realizing I was doing so.   Over the years, stress slowly built up to the point where I thought it was normal to feel that way and where it started seriously affecting me health wise.  If we had not lived frugally, been out of debt, and had a good rainy day fund in place, I cannot imagine what shape I'd be in if I had not been able to semi-retire and take a sabbatical from just about everything for a few years.  Since then, I've been amazed to hear how many of my colleagues and other people I know have had a trip or two the ER worrying about heart or stroke problems which was basically too much stress. 

I am somewhat at a loss right now to know what good tangible advice to give younger people about how to treat employment, education, and a career that will maximize financial freedom, personal health, and personal liberty.  Changing trends in economics, demographics, politics, and the like mean that what were good recommendations 20 years ago are unlikely to be as good today.   I'm now trying to set myself up to understand times and seasons so that I'll be able to leave a legacy of useful wisdom to my grandkids on matters such as this.

• Thumbs Up 1