• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,310
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Well for a hour or two of very close by "retreat" may I suggest going to 6060 Wilshire Blvd.? Go with an appetite. Go  for a late midweek lunch. It is quiet, elegant, not outrageously expensive, and right on the busy street near where you live, and part of the Petersen Museum where if you have the time you can spend many quiet hours on a weekday. Pick a tour that includes half the basement too,  where cars are being worked on and much political world history is revealed in cars .

http://dragoristorante.com/location/

Last time I was at LA I drove to the museum  from Yorba Linda via side streets instead of Freeway and went through Korea Town. I would have been fearful of of danger  and nearly was until I realized hey people selling the humblest of used clothing on the curb and food goods in home packaged Ball Canning Jars aren't likely out there to harm me.  I found myself praying for their prosperity and wellbeing. Next thing I knew I was intrigued by the street scenes.

PS If you can stand the time the museum  is really a wondrous quite place of retreat and fine memories of times gone by.

I have forgotten  the address of a once favorite Korean BBQ there. My family usually drives me there, as they are Korean and know all the good food serving places.

Oh, 6060 Wilshire is much further West of me.   If I was going to take the bus, I could go further West to the ocean...but rarely take a bus these years.  When legs are good, I take the subway.   Many years ago we took my uncle Leo to the Petersen Auto Museum as he likes cars.   I think most men would enjoy it but the settings for some cars were artistic so added interest for my mom and me.

Oh, so you are Korean?   I don't know what area of Koreatown you were in but my area is rather upscale with expensive apartment buildings, cafes, etc.  KT is considered a trendy place these years.   (Before it was mainly a Hispanic area but got built up.)   You might have driven through the Westlake district.... it's a little East of me.  That's where you see all of the vendors with clothing and products laid on the sidewalks, totally everywhere.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

6 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Ephod is not underwear...  https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H646&t=KJV  .....David was dancing in a priestly garment.  

Well, that said, I think it's natural for our thoughts as believers to turn to God whenever or wherever we have a moment of quiet and solitude....just that if using the toilet is the ONLY place a person has a place and time to commune with the Lord, then something must be wrong.  I'm sure those who are talking about this, don't mean to imply that it's the ONLY time they pray or think upon the Lord.

This is just plain wrong .     Would anyone here talk to a president , or a world leader while using the bathroom  .   FOLKS this is total disrespect TO THE LORD .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

27 minutes ago, Debp said:

I have a Praise report in that section.  Thank the Lord, my legs have gotten stronger the past three days.   And last evening I was able to walk again slowly to the deli down the street.  Next I am hoping to walk to the nearby Target for a few groceries.   I am now using a cane for walking outside for stability.

Just for your info, ever since my mother and I were trapped in our apartment in a major fire Nov 25 last year (on YouTube, MacArthur Park Fire Dozens Homeless), we have had a constant stream of things happening including one thing that involved six days of physical labor!   (We do not have roaches but the apartment building management was fumigating the entire building so we had to drag everything out of the closets, etc.   Mom is 88, I am 67.).   Another major thing was mom's hospitalization June 1 and 2.... thank God she is ok!.    My legs started being badly affected when the hospital bills  started to come in maybe five weeks ago.  Other things happened as well....I am not complaining, I am just giving you an idea of what caused my weak legs.

Thanks be to God that you are improving, Debk.........I suspect there has been an increase in demonic "attacks" against believers lately......I've also had a series of small accidents resulting in injury......the worst was my left knee, which has taken over a year to begin healing in a significant way...thankfully it seems to be on the mend now.  Recently I had two falls  on two separate occasions when I was outside taking a walk, no serious injury, but a few bumps and bruises and sprained ankle.  Just seems to be a lot of strange things happening.  I've started praying about it and asking the Lord to protect His people etc.  May the Lord give you strength to continue caring for your Mom...I know its not easy as we get older.

1 hour ago, Debp said:

I know about cults and their retreats.   I minored in Missions and one of my courses was on cults.

I simply started this topic because I think it would be nice for Christians to have a quiet retreat in nature....just simplicity.   No busyness or too many activities...just quietness to be in God's presence more.  I might be mistaken but I think many Christian retreats are just about seminars and activities.

I did say in my OP that we can retreat with the Lord in everyday life.    Just thought this would be an interesting topic....

Thanks for the clarification...yes I realized as I went on and caught up with the thread that I had misunderstood.  Well, it has turned into an opportunity to discuss these things in a general way as well.  :)  Bless you sister.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

40 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

This is just plain wrong .     Would anyone here talk to a president , or a world leader while using the bathroom  .   FOLKS this is total disrespect TO THE LORD .

Well, I hope nobody deliberately chooses the bathroom to have their devotions, brother...at least that is not what I meant by it.  This is a silly thing to be discussing really. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

On 8/13/2018 at 1:41 AM, Debp said:

☺️?☺️? Actually I was serious...I don't think non-Catholics have retreats where individuals can go to for a weekend or whatnot, just some real solitude with the Lord.

Some Protestants have retreats, but they are rare. I even found out there are Protestant monks. ?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Well, I hope nobody deliberately chooses the bathroom to have their devotions, brother...at least that is not what I meant by it.  This is a silly thing to be discussing really. 

NO worries sister.    I did not think you meant it that way .    Hey everyone , guess what time it is ,   ITS TIME TO PRAISE THE LORD .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,310
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Some Protestants have retreats, but they are rare. I even found out there are Protestant monks. ?

Protestant monks?  First time I've heard that!   Whereabouts?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

23 minutes ago, Debp said:

Protestant monks?  First time I've heard that!   Whereabouts?

Most of them are Episcopal, and Lutheran:

http://prayerfoundation.org/brief_history_protestant_monasticism.htm

http://protestantmonks.org/node/1

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2014/10/protestant-monasticism/