tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I was compelled to post this, as I have heard much opposition to the teaching and expounding on the fear of the Lord. It is SO necessary to our relationship with Him and our well-being.

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 15

33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Wisdom was once explained to me as the ability to make decisions based on the Word of God. I am finding how it is much like the pearl described in Matthew.

Understanding is to see God at work around you and to be in agreement with Him.

Proverbs 3

13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; 14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who retain her. 19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; By understanding He established the heavens;

What is Wisdom and Understanding?

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The fear of the Lord is as this:

8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;

Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. 14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength.

3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. 8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.

23:17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; 18 For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.

19 Hear, my son, and be wise; And guide your heart in the way. 20 Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; 21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

It is so very valuable!

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. 14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

Matthew 13

44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

It is of great worth to hear and love and obey the Word of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Some definitions, Scripture, and comments for us to ponder.

Wisdom- Knowledge and good judgement based on experience; being wise. (SYN) sapience

Sapience- wisdom; insight and judgement such as gained from much experience or study. (World Book Dictionary).

We can gain wisdom through experience or study.

One of the definitions of fear is- awe; reverence. Ex. in Thy fear will I worship toward Thy holy temple. (Psalm 5:7) (World Book Dictionary).

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.

By faith we must believe every word of the Bible. (Matt 4:4).

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; it is the principle part of knowledge; it is the head of knowledge; that is, (1) Of all things that are known this is most evident, that God is to be feared, to be reverenced, served, and worshipped; this is so the beginning of knowledge that those know nothing who do not know this. (2) In order to the attaining of all useful knowledge this is most necessary, that we fear God; we are not qualified to profit by the instructions that are given us unless our minds be possessed with a holy reverence of God, and every thought within us be brought into obedience to Him... (3) As all our knowledge must rise from the fear of God, so it must tend to it as its perfection and centre. Those know enough who know how to fear God, who are careful in everything to please him and fearful of offending Him in any thing; this is the Alpha and Omega of knowledge. (Matthew Henry Commentary).

A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels. (Prov. 1:5).

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. (Prov.4:7).

A principle of religion in the heart is the one thing needful; therefore, First, get this wisdom, get this understanding. And again, "Get wisdom, and with all thy getting, get understanding". Pray for it, take pains for it, give diligence in use of all appointed means to attain it. Wait at wisdom's gate, (Prov. 8:34). Get dominion over thy corruptions, which are thy follies; get possession of wise principles and the habits of wisdom. (Matthew Henry).

Our Bible tell us to be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (James 1:22).

So we see that by faith, we must fear God (reverence Him), and study His word to seek Him (know Him), and believe He rewards those who diligently do seek Him.

Jesus said, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". (Matthew 10:28).

We must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. (2Cr. 5:10).

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. (Luke 4:4).

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecc. 12:13).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would agree that the fear of the Lord is the beginning, however some never stop fearing. Once we know the Lord and have made him our Lord, should we still fear or do you think as we become one with Him the fear goes away.

I do no longer fear the Lord for he is not only my Lord but also my friend, is this not a good thing??? I know that He can do as He wishes with me, but my trust has grown to the point that fear is no longer possible because of our relationship.

sam

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢

There is this messianic song that has a sentence, that has yield to this thread.

"..........I choose the fear of the Lord.....I choose the fear of the Lord... "

Dear David,

Your post reminded me of this passage, which was not included in the original post:

Proverbs 1

27 When your terror comes like a storm, And your destruction comes like a whirlwind, When distress and anguish come upon you. 28 "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. 29 Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the Lord, 30 They would have none of my counsel And despised my every rebuke. 31 Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, And be filled to the full with their own fancies.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I truly believe that we will see this take place in our life-time.

And then I think about the words written in Malachi, and think of what that would look like:

Malachi 3:5 And I will come near you for judgment; I will be a swift witness Against sorcerers, Against adulterers, Against perjurers, Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, And against those who turn away an alien-- Because they do not fear Me," Says the Lord of hosts. 6 "For I am the Lord, I do not change; Therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob.

15 So now we call the proud blessed, For those who do wickedness are raised up; They even tempt God and go free.' " 16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them; So a book of remembrance was written before Him For those who fear the Lord And who meditate on His name. 17 "They shall be Mine," says the Lord of hosts, "On the day that I make them My jewels. And I will spare them As a man spares his own son who serves him." 18 Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.

I believe these Words to be true!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Dear johnnyc,

Our Bible tell us to be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (James 1:22).

So we see that by faith, we must fear God (reverence Him), and study His word to seek Him (know Him), and believe He rewards those who diligently do seek Him.

Jesus said, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". (Matthew 10:28).

We must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. (2Cr. 5:10).

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. (Luke 4:4).

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecc. 12:13).

Wonderful additions to this posting!

Thank you!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Remember chapter 3 of Genesis, the interaction between the enemy and Eve.

Look at Gen.3:5 (the enemy speaking to Eve), "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil".

We know she and Adam then ate from the forbidden tree. When she was confronted by God, her response to God was, "The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat". (Genesis 3:13).

Beguiled means to trick or mislead (a person); deceive; cheat. (World Book dictionary). Beguiled her, is what the enemy did to Eve in the garden. She believed him and ate of the forbidden fruit with Adam.

I believe today the enemy is still trying to beguile us; to make God's sayings to have no effect on us. Apparently he, (the enemy), knew what God had told Adam about the forbidden tree, but he talked with Eve in such a way as to make God's word have no impact on her.

Our Bible tells us many times to fear God and keep His commands. (1Peter 2:17 is one). Are we being beguiled by the enemy thinking we really do not have to fear God today? Each one of us must search ourself with this question.

In the new testament Jesus calls us friends; with a condition "if ye do whatsoever I command you". (John 15:14).

We must have a holy fear of God; a deep reverence for Him and His Son Jesus.

Jesus saved us from the fires of hell, and He really did not have to do it. It's after repentance unto godly sorrow (2Cr.7:10) that we can understand what He has done for us.

The apostle Peter was not the same man after his confrontation with Jesus on the night he betrayed Jesus three times. Our bible tells us Peter went out and "wept bitterly". (Luke 22:62 and Mat. 26:75). Peter was a changed man after his bitter repentance. The man who wrote the 1st and 2nd Peter epistles, was a new man.

Our Bible tells us to fear God, (reverence), and by faith we must. He is our power and our source in everything. We should give Him the honor due our King.

AMEN johhnyc.

(I think we are hearing much the same these days.......note the April 14th entry on this thread)........... Is This Not False?

In His Love,

Suzanne

...In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. (2Cr.13:1).

I believe Jesus is soon coming. He is coming for a "glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish". (Eph. 5:27).

It is in the fear of the Lord and the keeping of His commands, that we shall be as the five wise virgins who took oil in their vessels with their lamps. (Matt. 25:4)

• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59

I don't think it's a "bad" thing to have that Fatherly fear of Yahweh.

Praise ye the Lord.

Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in His commandments.

His seed shall be mighty upon earth

The generation of the upright shall be blessed.

Ps 112