IGNORED

A balanced life

I have lately reflected upon how best to approach life. I got exhausted from concentrating too much on my faith. Trying to do too many things and finding myself actually getting fed up and fatigued beyond belief. I had to do something. 

Yes i am a Christian, Jesus is my foundation. But, i do think we are here to partake of the best this world has to offer surely? We need joy and to relax. Therefore i have stopped any commitments that were draining me, got rid of fools and time wasters who were taking advantage of the fact i was willing to keep listening to their nonsense. I find excessive talkers utterly exhausting! 

What about time for me? I've learned to say no. Firmly. I feel much better! You cannot be the one at church always willing, now i take only my fair turn. I don't attend every function. I make sure i have time at home. I want time to read, stop running around being useful to all. 

In short, i am not a saint. Just a human being. Result of the changes I've made is i feel better. That bone weariness has gone. 

Does anyone here understand? Just because we love the lord does not mean we are doormats. Make time for other things in life, art, culture, family, friends. Talk of other things. A balance is vital or our strength ebbs. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, I can relate. But I want to preface what I'm going to say with; a couple of years ago when I repented and my life changed, I made a vow to myself that I would give preeminence to the Lord, and attend church every time the church doors were open.  A number of times I had fun secular activities scheduled / planned and a church activity came up I was volunteered for. Or we will have some sort of Easter, Christmas, etc. skit / play, and a church member will come up to me and say, "you've been volunteered for this or that part". 

I'm human and it can get a little annoying when you're suddenly "volunteered" for something, especially if you were looking forward to something else you had planned. Now to the 'however'.

I could easily stand up and say "NO" and excuse myself. Sometimes a fiery dart shoots through my brain and I think I'm being taken advantage of and want to show them the old side of myself for constantly volunteering me. 

But the fact of the matter is... My want to's have changed, what's more important, serving the Lord in any capacity, or doing what my secular self desires to do? Perhaps they do it because they think I do a good job and I'm dependable or something, or no one else wants to do it? Whatever the reason and when I have doubts or get agitated, I try and remind myself of what matters, what really matters at the end of the day? Service to the Lord. 

But yeah, I can easily see how someone could get 'burnt out', and view themselves as being taken advantage of, and maybe so...

But when I stand before the Bema Seat of Christ and give an account of every action and thought of my life... I don't want to have to tell the Lord my pistol match or personal time was more important to me. I already have an overwhelming amount of decades I'll be admitting and apologizing for without excuse. 

Yeah, I've had those thoughts and still do.

Edited by Dennis1209
Improper grammer

Thankyou. So useful. 

There are times when all i want is to go to church to be able to worship in silence. Peace. Instead it is like a social club! I'm so busy with duties. 

I pray for patience. 

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

Balance is very important, considering the family at home.
But,

Many years ago as a on fire new young believer ?‍♂️ full of the first love, I encountered the cold water committee  big time at church, and realized the reality of falling into complacency. I still remember the prayer I committed to God, simply put, "Lord, don't ever let me get comfortable!"   (He heard me!)

You can climb up. You can slide down. Or, you can just, stand still.

I try not to do my works for God.   ck me out!   Much effort.  Tired
I try and allow God to do His works, through me.  ck God out!!  Much peace.  Enthusiasm.    = (En Theo  = in God)
I have an invisible means of support.............
default_cool2.gif.ecc889114bfec3da7042404d8cb32bc8.gif

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have lately reflected upon how best to approach life. I got exhausted from concentrating too much on my faith. Trying to do too many things and finding myself actually getting fed up and fatigued beyond belief. I had to do something. 

Yes i am a Christian, Jesus is my foundation. But, i do think we are here to partake of the best this world has to offer surely? We need joy and to relax. Therefore i have stopped any commitments that were draining me, got rid of fools and time wasters who were taking advantage of the fact i was willing to keep listening to their nonsense. I find excessive talkers utterly exhausting! 

What about time for me? I've learned to say no. Firmly. I feel much better! You cannot be the one at church always willing, now i take only my fair turn. I don't attend every function. I make sure i have time at home. I want time to read, stop running around being useful to all. 

In short, i am not a saint. Just a human being. Result of the changes I've made is i feel better. That bone weariness has gone. 

Does anyone here understand? Just because we love the lord does not mean we are doormats. Make time for other things in life, art, culture, family, friends. Talk of other things. A balance is vital or our strength ebbs. 

Hi Melinda2, Thankyou for expressing this evergreen problem, sometimes called "Epaphroditus Syndrome".

Php 2:24-30
(24)  But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly.
(25)  Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants.
(26)  For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that you had heard that he had been sick.
(27)  For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.
(28)  I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when you see him again, you may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.
(29)  Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation:
(30)  Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.

Sometimes we learn the hard way, but the main thing is that we learn. None of us is indispensible so why do we get caught up in overwhelming workloads? One reason is to do with our motives which may deceive us into living up to expectations that are of the flesh and not of the Spirit.

I'm so glad you have had the wisdom to walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:22-26
(22)  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(23)  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
(24)  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
(25)  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(26)  Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Thankyou. So useful. 

There are times when all i want is to go to church to be able to worship in silence. Peace. Instead it is like a social club! I'm so busy with duties. 

I pray for patience. 

You are longing to worship the Lord in your heart/spirit.   Perhaps you can sometimes attend a quiet reverent worship service at another church where you can have the quiet you need.

It's ok to not say yes to everything that people might want you to do.   Be led of the Lord, not people, in what you choose to do in ministry.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Melinda, balance in life is important in many ways. I know what you're talking about because I used to do what you were doing. I was always running around helping other people. I would get quite angry when some folks didn't help the ones they should have so I jumped in and I did it. I don't regret helping anyone but I never found my own balance. I'm glad you are finding yours.

• Thumbs Up 1