Salvation and Sin

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

1 John1:8.   “ if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves” Despite your “ Strong Feelings”, you are chasing something that is impossible.Walking in  faith is not easy but at least it is possible.If you think you will reach a state of perfection in this lifetime, please inform me of that event and then let me talk to your wife or best friend to get their opinion of your perfect life.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/09/1967

24 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

1 John1:8.   “ if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves” Despite your “ Strong Feelings”, you are chasing something that is impossible.Walking in  faith is not easy but at least it is possible.If you think you will reach a state of perfection in this lifetime, please inform me of that event and then let me talk to your wife or best friend to get their opinion of your perfect life.

Noone can achieve a state of perfection without God.  I certainly can't do it.  Like I said in an earlier post, we shouldn't be relying on our own righteousness but the righteousness of God.  If we don't receive his righteousness at salvation then we will fail to be perfect.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 9/19/2018 at 1:04 AM, JohnKing67 said:

And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Do you believe that this verse teaches that redemption means no more sin?  How do you interpret this verse?

Jesus told the homeless man at the gate to stop sinning "so that something worse won't happen to you."

It kind of implies that sinning itself is a pretty stupid thing to do in general. "The wage of sin is death." It doesn't say "The wage of sin is life in abundance."

Edited by Archangel Thyos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Plesae expand on your thoughts.....do you believe that at salvation you have the ability with God’s help to actually live a perfect life—- no more sinning because He empowered you to live an actual sin- free life? Or did he declare you to be righteous despite your sins because of your faith in Christ and Him alone?

3 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Plesae expand on your thoughts.....do you believe that at salvation you have the ability with God’s help to actually live a perfect life—- no more sinning because He empowered you to live an actual sin- free life? Or did he declare you to be righteous despite your sins because of your faith in Christ and Him alone?

Since we all have sin when we come to God for forgiveness, we have to be declared righteous despite our sin because of our faith in Christ.  

Once saved we then receive God's power to live a sinless life. 

So yes to both.  Faith in Christ gets a person saved.  The power of God gives a person the ability to stay saved without sinning.

16 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

umm, no. We are still fallen people, with imperfect bodies and minds. We do not become like Jesus. We still have to struggle with the imperfections we are born with from Adam. 

What background are you from? I cant think of any Christian background which teaches that we become sinless at baptism.

Actually I don't believe we become sinless at baptism.  I believe that comes earlier when you pray for salvation.

1 hour ago, Archangel Thyos said:

Jesus told the homeless man at the gate to stop sinning "so that something worse won't happen to you."

It kind of implies that sinning itself is a pretty stupid thing to do in general. "The wage of sin is death." It doesn't say "The wage of sin is life in abundance."

I agree.  I'm amazed at how many Christians believe sin is permissible as long as you can say you're saved.

30 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

why do you think we become sinless when we pray for salvation. I have read your posts on this thread and cant quite grasp why you think sinlessness, as humans, is possible. I really cant understand this as numerous scriptures have been quoted about us keeping close to God, praying for forgiveness (including the Lords Prayer) etc etc. You obviously think you have reasons for believing this, but I cant understand them.

Would you mind just running through your reasons very simply please?

I believe I posted this in an earlier post but I'll try to repost it when I'm a bit more awake.  It's very late here.  Take care and thanks for your reply.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

5 hours ago, JohnKing67 said:

I agree.  I'm amazed at how many Christians believe sin is permissible as long as you can say you're saved.

The Bible denounces living like a libertine. Paul, however, believed in eternal security, otherwise he wouldn't have to defend himself of the false charge you've written of. Paul denounced those who said he was saying we could go and sin all we want--because those who opposed him knew Paul taught ASSURANCE.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

5 hours ago, JohnKing67 said:

Also, you seem to be confusing "permissible" with "unavoidable". If you claim sinlessness you are 1) according to 1 John 1 a liar, no offense meant here and 2) have a much dimmer view on sin than the rest of us. Sin is missing the mark or imperfection. How many times a day are you imperfect? When I've preached publicly for two hours and felt tired, and God prompted me to rely on Him for strength to preach more, but I didn't, THAT was SIN.

EVERYONE I know with the false doctrine of sinless perfectionism thinks "big things only" are sin. Sin put Christ on the cross, so get a good understanding of what sin is before you claim sinlessness or what seems hypocritical to me, that unlike the rest of us, you are perfect daily and only very rarely need to repent of sin.