Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,023
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,342
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

I saw this story on tv.   A wealthy family in Texas with a huge mansion were all very seriously ill.  They didn't know what was wrong.   By chance the woman of the family was on a plane and happened to talk to a man about the bad health of herself and family.  The man had a company which eradicates mold!   He asked if she had ever had a water leak in her home.   She had...long story short, her mansion was infested with toxic mold.   She, her husband and child left everything in the home on a moment's notice....they couldn't take anything as it would have mold spores!   The mansion got warnings on it of being a biohazard.   It was left deserted...photos, clothing, chandeliers, grand piano, everything left behind.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,633
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, May I suggest?  Just thoughts from the peanut gallery-  While one should likely not wait around  to clean up black mold until the weather is nicer as black mold certainly causes bad health issues, white vinegar mixed into water is a safe  cleanser for removal of black mold.

There are several simple cleansers that will work, just don't scape the mold loose so that the spores fly  away is all.

Shame to leave everything behind when all one would  need do is clean.  Clean and dispose of any rags or porous scrubbing materials.

Seems most everything is listed as toxic and requiring  professions or government programs to resolve nowadays.

Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with Orange oil is another commonly accepted by health department product. More pungent  is the old standby Lysol, the standard in State archives and regulatory laws for sanitation of all surfaces. Every place I ever went into in the funeral industy had a brand new   as in unopend, but old bottle of Lysol that was never to be touched, for it was required that it be  in the building by State law governing such facilities. We may use another bottles but never that one for we were never to run out or we could be heavily fined by government.

In dealing with State health inspectors for schools I always had at the ready for display two bottles of the same product H2O2 Orange to satisfy their demands. Each bottle had the same ingrideients but a different factory labeled name to meet State requirements that were at odds with each other. The inspectors knew the product was sold under two names and was the same product, but I had to have both regardless.

We get sold fear all the time! It is an evil spirit almost, if not in fact the spirit of fear. In the case of black mold white vinegar is the very cheapest solution,  literally as well as programmatically. Doesn't require an expert, just elbow grease, some gloves, a little water, a spray bottle, and some gentle agitation to get into the mold  keeping it moist so it doesn't fly spores. Then flush it away, and  dry the area.  Of course, Find and fix the source of excess moisture! 

If  not too afraid of the "evil blue light" add  an ultraviolet light to the hvac system. I bought a few portable Green Air Machines ( ozone makers with ultra violet light  and a fan inside). I use them all the time,  have one within twelve feet of me even now. 

I first used the Green Air machine in a church library a place of hundreds and hundreds of musty dusty and mold bearing books of old vintages, usually donated when someone dies.  Oh what a blessing used stuff to the church, - whoopie. But that is another story. Anyway, I ran the two machines I had in the library overnight, with the AC blocked so the the ozone would build up in the room. I cleared it come morning and all the "musty"  was gone! Even pages in closed books were crispy clean no little specks and flecks of molds anymore. When the cat at my house gets to me I run the Ozone machine on very lightly and it helps greatly to overcome mu stuffy nose reaction to cat.

Shame about that mansion, wonder how much it might be bought for?  Actually It was outside of Austin if it is the same one,  and was bulldozed. In that case the source of the problem a water leak  was not recognized until after the family  and the man of the house were seriously ill and he had lost mental capacity. A real tragedy!

God bless those that clean their dwelling throwing out the leaven, making things new and clean again for service. Well perhaps except for the ones that cleaned the bricks of the bakery walls, that held the spores, that made for the very best rising lumps for the sour dough bread.  Some mold spores are fun to watch making breads rise; and the smells ah wonderful.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

The family couldn't stay in the mansion as it was infested....the mold spores were even behind all of the walls.   Yes, it was the mansion near Austin.   It was a miracle she was seated on the plane beside the man that had the mold eradicating company!!   He saved their lives.

I tried to post a link to an article about the mansion last night but I guess the article was too old so the link didn't work.  It was a 22 room mansion...deserted for some years until tear down.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

for some time now if I try to post a URL, the first time I try nothing happens and it empties my clip board....   then I have to copy it again and the second time it will paste....

• Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, Debp said:

The family couldn't stay in the mansion as it was infested....the mold spores were even behind all of the walls.   Yes, it was the mansion near Austin.   It was a miracle she was seated on the plane beside the man that had the mold eradicating company!!   He saved their lives.

I tried to post a link to an article about the mansion last night but I guess the article was too old so the link didn't work.  It was a 22 room mansion...deserted for some years until tear down.

You are a good servant of our Lord, and a concerned one thinking of the well being of others. Posting of this concern is very valuable. One should not ignore nor wait to treat mold especialy black mold! It can become a real expensive issue and can permanently damage the value of a property if not make it so undesirable that it might as well be abandoned and bulldozed. It can and does cause very serious and even fatal illness.

Yet black mold can be treated and should be. One of the things home owner insurance might cover is damage from sudden water pipe leaks and the mold removal  and replacement of all affected walls floors cabinets  furniture. But if it is a neglected leak  they are not going to cover damage due to negligent home maintenance.

To know there is damage occurring and not tend to it immediately is to suffer pretty serious adverse consequence.

• Brilliant! 1

38 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

You are a good servant of our Lord, and a concerned one thinking of the well being of others. Posting of this concern is very valuable. One should not ignore nor wait to treat mold especialy black mold! It can become a real expensive issue and can permanently damage the value of a property if not make it so undesirable that it might as well be abandoned and bulldozed. It can and does cause very serious and even fatal illness.

Yet black mold can be treated and should be. One of the things home owner insurance might cover is damage from sudden water pipe leaks and the mold removal  and replacement of all affected walls floors cabinets  furniture. But if it is a neglected leak  they are not going to cover damage due to negligent home maintenance.

To know there is damage occurring and not tend to it immediately is to suffer pretty serious adverse consequence.

Good to know....home owners report it immediately to your insurance company.    If you rent, report it to the landlord.

Thanks Neighbor for all of the tips....the white vinegar and water tip is one I will remember.

On a commercial level ( done by a mold remediating company ) dry ice is also a way to take care of mold on rafters sheathing hard to get to places etc.  

See https://afestlouis.org/Mold_Remediation.htm

Edited by Neighbor
  • Brilliant! 1