• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

I've read conflicting translations of what it says, that makes a big difference.  It's either:

And you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.

or

Your desire will be for your husband,
    and he will rule over you

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/20/1972

I have never read the first one; nor does it go along with other scriptures of how a wife is to submit to her husband, NOT desire to control him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

This isn't about submission.  It's about a terrible  punishment.  Submission, in the New Testament, isn't presented as a punishment.

I read the ESV.  I think it's a good translation.  Genesis 3:16 =  To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be contrary to your husband, but he shall rule over you.”

This passage is about severe pain in having babies and Adam dominating her. Having someone "rule over you" is not a blessing.  It's a curse and a punishment.  Just as Adam was cursed, Eve was cursed.  And their punishment trickle down to the rest of us in various ways.

In the rest of the Bible, the real and true relationship between a husband and wife is:

• A husband loving her as if she means something to him that is of great worth, treating her as a covenant companion, never being harsh with her, defending her even if it means death, treating her as a co-heir, esteeming her as he esteems himself [that's hard], trusting her and praising her.  [1 Peter 3; Colossians 3; Malachi 2;  Ephesians 5; Proverbs 31]
  • A wife trusting, revering, and respecting her husband just in same manner that she would the Lord; being a hard worker in managing the home and family and in any other endeavor the Lord leads her; being a help meet to him - that is literally in the Hebrew a "help" as God was a "help" to David [same Hebrew word which means a relief] and a "meet" to him - meaning her role, though "opposite" from his makes his role easier to bear and more fruitful. [Genesis 2; Proverbs 31; 1 Peter 3; Ephesians 5]

A Godly husband is a blessing to a woman.  Yet, in this imperfect world brought about by sin - wives will have conflict from time to time with their husbands and have pain in bearing children.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

'your desires shall be contrary to your husband' is yet a third translation, but I like your answer.  it makes sense.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.31
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

And thy DESIRE shall be to thy husband and he shall rule over thee.

As the church is subject unto Christ so let the wife be subject unto her husband .

Yall might be wondering why I all capped the word desire .

Because something came quite strong to me as I read this .

And he shall not regaurd THE DESIRE of women .

THE DESIRE of women ,   HE WILL NOT REGAURD .

Just something to perhaps ponder .    

Guest Naturebuff

God actually demands more from husbands than he does from wives if you search the scriptures. 

The toughest one (for me) is:

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;”

Jesus loved her so much He not only died for her but He did it to save her soul

There is one scripture in the Bible directed to women about loving their husbands and it is:

“And so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.”

It is the only scripture about wifes loving her husband and the children are lumped together in there with the husband. God seems to hold us men more accountable in the marriage.  

Edited by Naturebuff

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

I think comparing Scripture with Scripture is the best way to understand spiritual Truths, we find the same word"desire" in Ge 4:7 explaining how "sin" desires to have dominion or rule over us, ...we all know sin's "desire"is never satisfied or quenched and so it will be with a wife's "desire" for her husband to love her as an equal instead of dominating or ruling over her as a slave.

What I have learned from personal experience and observation is wives "desire" their husbands to love them in the second place, first is God, ...unfortunately most men who have not learned the lesson put many other things before their helpmate, work, family, sports, buddies, hobbies, even children, I think when God was talking to Eve He was looking down through the tunnel of time and saying, ladies, not many of you will be satisfied with your marriage, ...bravo to all of you women who have to live under this condition. Lord Bless

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Naturebuff said:

God actually demands more from husbands than he does from wives if you search the scriptures. 

The toughest one (for me) is:

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;”

Jesus loved her so much He not only died for her but He did it to save her soul

There is one scripture in the Bible directed to women about loving their husbands and it is:

“And so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.”

It is the only scripture about wifes loving her husband and the children are lumped together in there with the husband. God seems to hold us men more accountable in the marriage.  

I've heard men say that they have the harder job in a marriage and I've heard it for decades.

But I just don't see it.

Guest Naturebuff

Jayne, speaking for myself only, I am referring to the gauge that God holds a husband to, not that we have a harder time in marriage. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

Woman wants to control the world but its man who rule.