• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

On 2/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, PinkBelt said:

As of the last survey, 60% of Americans oppose the wall. 79% don't consider it a priority. 53% of Americans blame Trump and the GoP for the shutdown, only 29% blame the Democrats. This is all according to polls like Gallup, not just my opinion.

I can believe those numbers. After all, most Americans actually have little regard for America.  I realize that is a bit of audacity to  make such a statement, but I think it can be backed up.

Of the total number of Americans who can vote, only about half actually do.   Of the half that do vote, roughly half of them vote specifically for candidates that clearly mean to undermine if not downright reject this country.   So, roughly 3/4 of the people who actually can vote in this country clearly have little or no regard for this country.  Not a pleasant idea, but hard to refute.

Edited by OldCoot

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Days Won:  4

32 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

On a per capita basis or just simple total numbers?

By definition, "rates" would refer to per capita basis, while "incidents" would refer to total numbers.

32 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

I would suggest you provide links to the studies that support your contention so that it would bolster your case and provide all of us with the information to make a more informed decision on these matters.

I don't have access to the full article, but a study published in the journal Criminology in May 2018 starts with an abstract that reads:

Despite substantial public, political, and scholarly attention to the issue of immigration and crime, we know little about the criminological consequences of undocumented immigration. As a result, fundamental questions about whether undocumented immigration increases violent crime remain unanswered. In an attempt to address this gap, we combine newly developed estimates of the unauthorized population with multiple data sources to capture the criminal, socioeconomic, and demographic context of all 50 states and Washington, DC, from 1990 to 2014 to provide the first longitudinal analysis of the macro‐level relationship between undocumented immigration and violence. The results from fixed‐effects regression models reveal that undocumented immigration does not increase violence. Rather, the relationship between undocumented immigration and violent crime is generally negative, although not significant in all specifications. Using supplemental models of victimization data and instrumental variable methods, we find little evidence that these results are due to decreased reporting or selective migration to avoid crime. We consider the theoretical and policy implications of these findings against the backdrop of the dramatic increase in immigration enforcement in recent decades.

I added the emphasis, and it appears that I may have slightly overstated the case. It seems that the data supports either negative relationship between illegal immigration status and violent crime rates, or in some "specifications", no relationship. Regardless, the data stand in contradiction to the common misconception, supported by the President, that rates are higher among those of illegal immigration status.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

Thought I would help out a little on those illegal immigrant crime stats.  While the overall non violent crime rates are lower per capita with illegal immigrants, violent crime rates are indeed higher per capita.  This from a link I will post....

The indication that illegal aliens commit disproportionate numbers of murders is corroborated by crime rates, shaky though they may be, for 2014 and 2015—the two years for which we have population estimates from Pew and DHS. In 2014, Texas illegal-alien murder-arrest rates were 4.99 per 100,000—36 percent higher than the rates for all other apprehended murderers (3.2 per 100,000). In 2015, the rates were 26 percent higher for illegal aliens (4.2 per 100,000, versus 3.1 per 100,000).

http://iwf.org/blog/2808528/Illegal-Immigrants-and-Crime:-What-Do-the-Numbers-Really-Say-

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 1/26/2019 at 1:25 PM, Wayne222 said:

It looks as the President has under minded his presidential office by shutting down the government and then starting up again without getting a dime for the wall. This is not looking good. His opponent's are going for his throat. 

His opponents appear to be after political victories. I think Donald is trying to do what's best for the country.