Tongues

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

During my time of preparation to come here, ...I have heard many "false" speaking in tongues, ...however I have heard the True gift of both speaking in tongues and interpretation from the Holy Spirit "working" at a Men's Retreat.

It was at the Saturday night worship service, a man stood up and spoke in tongues, ...when he had finished and sat back down, the pastor in charge said that now we need to pray for an interpretation to validate it as "actual" speaking in tongues, ...I turned to my friend beside me and said, "I 'know' that was real because it spoke to/in my heart!"

While were were praying another man stood up and gave the interpretation.

What I heard the man giving the interpretation saying was, ...the wonderful works of God, ...glorifying, exalting, magnifying, praising, blessing, thanking, ...God!

When I heard the speaking in tongues it wasn't like all the other times when people thought they were speaking in tongues, and the hair on the back of my neck stood up, ...no! I knew in my heart that it was real!

Why? 

Because, ...The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.  The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon. He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.  The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire. 
The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.  The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in His temple doth every one speak of His glory. The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever. The LORD will give strength unto His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace. 

I/we were engulfed "in" total peace, ...peace so strong and thick it could be cut with a knife, ...even though it was two men speaking, it was not their voice, the "voice" we heard was "Golden," ...Magnificent, ...Holy, ...Authoritative!

After the man who had given the interpretation sat down, ...total silence, ...the pastor stood up and opened his Bible, and read 1 Cor 14:22:

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: 

The Men's Retreat had many nonbelievers in attendance, ...the pastor closed his Bible and said, "Anyone here that has not received Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, and would like to "receive" Him at this time, ...stand up!"

Forty, fifty, sixty men stood up and the pastor called them forward and the other pastors on stage with him prayed with them and we in the audience were joining in with our prayers, ...many souls were added to the Church that night! 

I can't say what "earthly" language the man speaking in tongues was speaking, ALL in attendance spoke English, ...so maybe it was the "language" of Angels, ...I don't know, but what I do know is the "result" of the gift of speaking in tongues was Biblical. 

Lord Bless

Edited by JustPassingThru
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And may I add there was not any "interpretation" necessary, ...those who heard, heard in their native language.

I think I speak in tongues, I have never "learned" the French language per se, what I know I have "picked up" from listening to people talk, ...in actuality I speak a "Archie Bunker" French, ...but when we are teaching the words just flow out and to my total amazement the listeners understand!

To God be the Glory, great things He has done!!!

Lord bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 2/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Alive said:

Don't think to worry about attacking or offending.

You would never incline yourself to what?

just now saw this will reply this evening...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/16/2020 at 7:45 AM, Brother Notlad said:

Speaking in tongues is mentioned in more places than Corinthians. Several other places to be clearer. 

Only Paul's earliest letters contain reference to tongues. The inspired Word of God is all we need. 

Edited by missmuffet

On 2/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Alive said:

Don't think to worry about attacking or offending.

You would never incline yourself to what?

That which elevates a faith built upon something other than the Word of God.... such as feelings based on subjective experience where the Word of God cannot be utilized to verify source...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

10 hours ago, enoob57 said:

That which elevates a faith built upon something other than the Word of God.... such as feelings based on subjective experience where the Word of God cannot be utilized to verify source...

Thanks--I understand. Would you provide an example of this?

When one using ecstatic utterance and have no idea what they are saying yet they say I feel, draws me nearer, lifts me up etc. … they are using emotions apart from the mind to bolster their faith. As I understand there is only one way one is to bolster their faith 

Rom 10:17

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV

So in essence they are placing their faith in themselves apart from the mind and Scripture. The Lord Jesus was very clear that we were to have our foundation upon His creative Word and written Word...  

1 Cor 3:10-11

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
KJV

THe fact that the experience as you describe it is not what a great many believers have known and know put aside, what do you say to Paul's statement in the 'word of God'--that he spoke in tongues "more than you all". That and the other scriptures that deal with the 'gifts of the Spirit'.

How do you deal with the 'joy of the Lord' and a 'peace that passes all understanding'? Are these not subjective emotions?

Are they not a matter of the 'scriptural record'? We could go into the distant past and wonder about Kind David dancing in the street with abandon before His God.

How about the untold number of times that the Lord has spoken to His sons to go here and this will happen and it does. Where in the scripture does it say 'go to such and such a place and preach the gospel' and yet men hear that voice and go? To China? To a Jungle? To a 'parking lot' in a town? What about when two individuals in different parts of the country hear the same word from the Lord, to go to such and such a place and raise a 'local body'--yes a specific place and they hadn't spoken together in years and didn't even know how to get in touch...only to finally speak and share that same 'word' from the Lord and then know by confirmation that it was indeed the hand of God. And that thing did subsequently happen to the glory of God.

There are a great many examples of 'subjective' experiences of God by His people. Do you see the problem here? Since there is no known 'mechanical' mechanism in man for these things and so much more---what do you then ascribe the source to?

Where do you draw the line?

Be careful brother. The Lord has a great deal more for you than you can presently imagine.

Luke 11:11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?

1 hour ago, Alive said:

THe fact that the experience as you describe it is not what a great many believers have known and know put aside, what do you say to Paul's statement in the 'word of God'--that he spoke in tongues "more than you all". That and the other scriptures that deal with the 'gifts of the Spirit'.

The New Testament of Christ's 'blood bought grace' was in transition from law to said grace and we know The Lord teaches us to rightly divide Scripture so as not to make out of text understandings...

as this above 

that he spoke in tongues "more than you all"

I believe Paul is speaking of the same as Peter and the Disciples experienced at Pentecost... the why of it is obvious they did not have the completed canon of Scripture and thus the transitional aspect of what is being written as Paul was sent to the gentiles of different languages. We do know the heart of Paul here

1 Cor 14:19

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
KJV

1 hour ago, Alive said:

How do you deal with the 'joy of the Lord' and a 'peace that passes all understanding'? Are these not subjective emotions?

I see this as the fruit of our understanding coming off the foundation of God's Word … my weight of support is upon Scripture 

Isa 1:18-20

18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
KJV
note I did not say we don't have emotion … I am saying that emotion does not lead us or foundation us  'It is only The Word of God that has that place'

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Are they not a matter of the 'scriptural record'? We could go into the distant past and wonder about Kind David dancing in the street with abandon before His God.

Again we have Psalms 119 to see what the motive was for David's emotions as that is how we build our lives....

1 hour ago, Alive said:

How about the untold number of times that the Lord has spoken to His sons to go here and this will happen and it does. Where in the scripture does it say 'go to such and such a place and preach the gospel' and yet men hear that voice and go? To China? To a Jungle? To a 'parking lot' in a town? What about when two individuals in different parts of the country hear the same word from the Lord, to go to such and such a place and raise a 'local body'--yes a specific place and they hadn't spoken together in years and didn't even know how to get in touch...only to finally speak and share that same 'word' from the Lord and then know by confirmation that it was indeed the hand of God. And that thing did subsequently happen to the glory of God.

This again is in obedience to God's Word

Matt 28:19-20

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
KJV

all things must be aligned to the Scripture in order for testing to be upon the foundation of Scripture in which all spirits that come to us must be examined

1 John 4:1a

4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God:
KJV

1 hour ago, Alive said:

There are a great many examples of 'subjective' experiences of God by His people. Do you see the problem here?

evaluating above you can see that all must have as foundation the Word of God ... faith then applied from the objective Word of God becomes our narrow path of life and peace....

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Since there is no known 'mechanical' mechanism in man for these things and so much more---what do you then ascribe the source to?

Because we were began in an infinite reality of God as Spirit... as that begin was one of innocents and discovery and falling from this we must return by the provided path God has given us... since that fall was of spirit and also the giving away of this world to the influence of satan there was the mechanics of God speaking to the heads of households up and to Moses and then the begin of God's Written Word the mechanics for the rest of time to the eternal state....

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Where do you draw the line?

If I have a feeling or unction or whatever, it must be aligned to Scripture and 'remain so' for me to consider it of God :) Then when I obey it is based off the foundation of His Word and nothing else!