Sign in to follow this  
tankopia1@gmail.com

Tongues

52 minutes ago, tankopia1@gmail.com said:

Why is speaking in tongues only mentioned in Corinthians? 

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,

And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

its specifically mentioned in Corinthians because they had things messed up.  They needed to have things put in order of importance for them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, tankopia1@gmail.com said:

It sounds like you have a deeper question that this one to ask. What is it?

1Co 14:2  For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1Co 14:14  For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:15  What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. 

Eph 6:18  praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit,

Jud 1:20  But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

• Praise God! 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, tankopia1@gmail.com said:

There are far more important gifts--especially prophecy, teaching, leadership, encouragement, etc.

• This is Worthy 1

Speaking in tongues is mentioned in the book of Acts as well. Many people today believe that if one does not speak in tongues, they have not received the Holy Spirit. Not true. During the building of the early church, the apostles were baptizing many believers who were Gentiles who spoke in different languages. So perhaps God wanted to prove that the Gentiles received the same Holy Spirit as everyone else.  "Then Peter said, “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days."

• This is Worthy 1

Sign in to follow this