Jump to content
Tigger56

You Eat What!

Recommended Posts

It is amazing all the things that people like to eat. I saw in one magazine where they mentioned a sardine and peanut butter sandwich! Sorry but yuck!  I know I eat some things that others would also find disgusting. I like banana and mayonnaise sandwiches (Duke's mayonnaise, it is the best!), I also like tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches with plenty of black pepper, or banana and peanut butter, or pineapple, cheese and mayonnaise.  Hopefully, haven't grossed anyone out yet. But I can't stand liver, I also hate pickled eggs. My dad loves them... boiled eggs pickled in beet juice. I tried one.... it was like eating a purple golf ball. (at least that is what I can imagine a golf ball may taste like!) I don't like beets. I like sauerkraut but my wife banned it from the house due to its smell.  We all have our own eating patterns, etc..

Part of my eating habit is also based on God's word and how I was raised. My dad, when I was nine years old, decided that pork shouldn't be eaten based primarily on scriptural belief, but also couldn't stand the thought of eating all the worms. I remember after he did away with the pork that I was with him in a small restaurant/drug store in the small town of Rome, Georgia, which is where I grew up. One of his "friends" who didn't approve of the fact that my dad now kept the Sabbath and wasn't eating pork any longer, stated loud enough for all to hear,  "........, I understand you don't eat pork anymore!) He did it to embarrass my dad. My dad sipped on his coffee and then simply said, "that is true...", the man then stated why quite loudly. My dad looked at him and said simply, "because it is full of worms!"  I saw a number of people push their bacon away. After all, cooking did kill the worms, but who wanted to eat cooked worms! However, here in the south, pork is a mainstay. I recently passed a barbecue place that had on their outside sign a picture of a pig that stated we serve it from it's snoot to it's poot. In grocery stores before, I have seen and still see, pickled pigs feet, pig skin, fatback, etc.... I have seen people cook chitlins (pig intestines), pig brains with scrabbled eggs, etc....  I have even seen squirrel and rabbit eaten and seen rabbit in grocery stores.

I am convinced that man will eat almost anything, but surely someone out there agrees that tomato sandwiches, with plenty of black pepper and Duke's mayonnaise is great. Maybe a few have also tried the banana sandwich?  

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I have - I grew up in a "meat and potato" home. If it's not brown or beige, it's passed my lips very rarely. Unless it's juice or tea. Pork might have worms in it, but the taste of bacon simply defeats that fact, in my mind. Love conquers all, that kind of thing.

I've tried grasshoppers before. It was a bit like chicken, but with a different texture. Like if chicken came as a paste rather than sinew.

They're also using grasshoppers as flour now, too. They dry them out and then grind them into a fine powder, for use in baking. This way a person can make a cake and still get protein from eating it. On a side note, this flour specifies that it's made with grasshoppers - it's not likely in your ordinary wheat flour.

In Japan, they have squid ink burgers. The buns are black with squid ink. Still the usual patty, cheese, and whatever else. Just with squid ink.

I also used to eat leaves when I was a kid. They were crunchy, though rather tasteless. I've always wondered what leaves might taste like made into a stew or something.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dr3032 said:

I can't say I have - I grew up in a "meat and potato" home. If it's not brown or beige, it's passed my lips very rarely. Unless it's juice or tea. Pork might have worms in it, but the taste of bacon simply defeats that fact, in my mind. Love conquers all, that kind of thing.

I've tried grasshoppers before. It was a bit like chicken, but with a different texture. Like if chicken came as a paste rather than sinew.

They're also using grasshoppers as flour now, too. They dry them out and then grind them into a fine powder, for use in baking. This way a person can make a cake and still get protein from eating it. On a side note, this flour specifies that it's made with grasshoppers - it's not likely in your ordinary wheat flour.

In Japan, they have squid ink burgers. The buns are black with squid ink. Still the usual patty, cheese, and whatever else. Just with squid ink.

I also used to eat leaves when I was a kid. They were crunchy, though rather tasteless. I've always wondered what leaves might taste like made into a stew or something.

Grasshoppers I actually thought about trying or rather locust since it says that John the Baptist enjoyed locust and honey.

  • Loved it! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tigger56 said:

Grasshoppers I actually thought about trying or rather locust since it says that John the Baptist enjoyed locust and honey.

I know you can find jars of grasshoppers at pet stores - normally advertized as treats for lizards. I don't know about locust though, that would likely be online.

If you can get past the fact that it's a wringly, weird-looking bug, I do recommend it. It was good, and bugs are apparently a good source of protein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have peanut butter and banana on gluten free toast almost every morning for breakfast 

 

Want to have a full Welsh breakfast then you would have bacon ( worms optional ) eggs lavabread ( boiled seaweed ) and cockles with mushrooms 

A full English is bacon eggs mushrooms fried tomatoes or baked beans and black pudding ( made from pigs blood and oatmeal ) :31:

 

Glad I am Welsh :24:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A world without bacon, smothered pork chops, and good old country ham?!?!

:noidea:

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dr3032 said:

I know you can find jars of grasshoppers at pet stores - normally advertized as treats for lizards. I don't know about locust though, that would likely be online.

If you can get past the fact that it's a wringly, weird-looking bug, I do recommend it. It was good, and bugs are apparently a good source of protein.

Sorry, can't get what is set aside for pets. I will wait till someone who knows how to fix locust and honey the proper way before I try it.  Thanks anyway, will stick to my tomato or banana sandwiches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ladypeartree said:

I have peanut butter and banana on gluten free toast almost every morning for breakfast 

 

Want to have a full Welsh breakfast then you would have bacon ( worms optional ) eggs lavabread ( boiled seaweed ) and cockles with mushrooms 

A full English is bacon eggs mushrooms fried tomatoes or baked beans and black pudding ( made from pigs blood and oatmeal ) :31:

 

Glad I am Welsh :24:

I have been told that I came from Wales, but never been there. I did spend 2 years in England, but never had their breakfast, sounds terrible. I did try the steak and kidney pie it was okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jayne said:

A world without bacon, smothered pork chops, and good old country ham?!?!

:noidea:

I eat turkey and beef bacon. Never had pork chops or ham that I remember, I'm sure I did when I was much younger but don't remember it. I guess by smothered you mean with gravy, in that case give me country fried steak with gravy. Man, this conversation is making me hungry!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite sandwich is a BLT and I add cheese. My favorite breakfast sandwich is bacon, fried egg and cheese on toast. I love bacon :D

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...