IGNORED

harry potter

Guest debate-confusion

Guest The_General

Okay here's my take on this:

Some years ago a certain thinker decided to write stories for his granddaughter. These books contained witches, wizards, magical spells ie; apparation, transfiguration, petrifaction, etc., all manner of peculiar creatures and even a thinly-disguised hypnotic induction. They also contained a "messiah" character in the form of a lion. I'm talking of course about CS Lewis' "Narnia" books.

Maybe because Lewis was a Christian, these books are today hailed almost as required reading for young Christians because of their allegorical nature. I am in agreement with this - it is my view that important lessons may be gleaned from them. Rowling isn't a Christian and her books therefore contain only some moral and not Christian ideas.

I wonder whether the Christians of the day were up in arms about Lewis just as we are about Rowling? It would be interesting to find out.

I'm neither defending nor denouncing the HP books. My position is and always will be that the first choice for reading, whether child or adult, is the Word of God; the Bible. I think that as long as kids know that Harry Potter is no more than fantasy, then it is probably a good way to get them into reading, and from an educational perspective that's no bad thing. If they start to believe it or fantasize about it, then the parents haven't done a very good job in establishing the boundaries of reality. Perhaps it's time to let little Johnny know that Santa isn't real! :-)

BUT... if parents are promulgating the reading of *any* fictional material over the Bible, well, I have something of a problem with that. As Christian individuals it is vital in these increasingly dark times that we know the Word of God and feed it to those for whom we are responsible.

I think there are greater concerns in both the world AND THE CHURCH (watch TBN for some REAL deception) than the stories our children read.

My 10c. :-)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/18/1976

Charlie,

Thanks...for nothing. I asked you for something and you failed to provide it. As I figured you would not provide the proof that I asked you for, you just continue in your diatribe that it is false doctrine without providing evidence to the contrary.

In Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Lekcit,

Chill out man, the guy's a Christian, and meant to be your brother. So he believes in pre-trib and not post-trib - I mean, in the end, who cares?

In fact, that goes for everyone, these discussions so often turn nasty because people accuse one another of not being a "real" Christian, or basing things on anti-Christian teaching or "false doctrine". I'm not saying Lekcit in particular did this here, I'm just saying it happens an awful lot. If you agree on 99% of the Christian religion, why not work together rather than driving a wedge between yourselves on trivial issues. How can you make disciples of all nations if you put each other down?

Anyway, just some thoughts, in no way directed at you, or you alone Lekcit.

Nik

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/02/1952

Okay here's my take on this:

Some years ago a certain thinker decided to write stories for his granddaughter.  These books contained witches, wizards, magical spells ie; apparation, transfiguration, petrifaction, etc., all manner of peculiar creatures and even a thinly-disguised hypnotic induction.  They also contained a "messiah" character in the form of a lion.  I'm talking of course about CS Lewis' "Narnia" books.

My 10c.  :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it interesting that one book is thought of as a must reading and the other the work of the devil. What's the difference in the two books?

OK. So maybe my presentation was a tad harsh or abrasive, and I do recognize that Charlie is a Christian. I just have a hard time with people that label doctrine as "false" without giving anything to back it up. While I may disagree with 99% of what you say SA, at least you provide documentation to support your viewpoint rather than saying, "That's an incorrect viewpoint just because I said so. Nana nana boo boo." That's the only point I was trying to make.

In Him.

Charlie,

While I appreciate you not wanting to rehash old material, I do not feel that it is my responsibility to wade through mounds of information here to get the answer that I seek. Further, you say it's not in the Bible and I disagree because the things that I believe can be supported by as much Scripture as you can present to the contrary. Thanks for refusing to have an honest open discussion with one that would seek to understand your position a little better.

In Him.

Guest charlie
Thanks for refusing to have an honest open discussion with one that would seek to understand your position a little better.

This issue has been talked to death. If you want to start yet another thread on the rapture feel free; doesn't mean I'm gonna join it though. At this point in time I find it a total waste of time; and frankly I find it boring.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Talked to death?

Maybe, maybe not.

But it has been talked about quite frequently.

My advice is to address the points made in whichever previous discussion you find interesting:

Harry Potter, What is Your Opinion?

Harry Potter, What Does God Have to Say?

Tinkerbell a witch?

[url=http://www.worthyboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15227&hl=]Interview with an Ex-Wiccan, Harry Potter