IGNORED

How religion has become a big financial enterprise with members contributing hundreds of millions in tithes and offerings

R. Hartono

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  1

I’m not Catholic. My children went to Christian school and I’m so grateful. They are true believers. Raise up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

6 minutes ago, Kristin said:

I’m not Catholic. My children went to Christian school and I’m so grateful. They are true believers. Raise up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. 

I agree its true, i didnt say its wrong for the church to open christian schools either.

However most protestant churches dont use the profit to help poor people but profit oriented.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.40

Yes. Profit is always the goal for all of us, correct?  I see what you mean tho. However; Christian school is better than public school no matter the price these days...

6 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Yes. Profit is always the goal for all of us, correct?  I see what you mean tho. However; Christian school is better than public school no matter the price these days...

Thats right, they're better than public school but expensive, about ten times more expensive, so how could the poor rcv christian education ?

On 7/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

My response was specifically referring to the overly broad accusations about Christian schools being for profit and making money for churches.  

I have little respect for people who toss out a series of accusations waiting for one to be valid and never clarify, acknowledge or apologize for those that might not be true. 

I didnt say its wrong for churches to open a school for profit, I will be happy if the church become rich so they can help people especially the poor member like Apostles and Paul did.

In my country Catholic schools are expensive and only middle to upper class can afford it, but i did not say its wrong because the Catholic use the profit to do many charity in this city, such as opening a free medical and dental clinic with free medicine for poor people, opening a free nursing home for elders (no pay). The Catholic church never demand tithe from people. They are clever to open schools and make profit to finance their operation. 

Its different with Protestant Christian expensive schools, they charge 10 x the fee of the public school, but rich family are competing to put their children there as they are much better than public schools, however the poor people are not able to be educated there. In return they give almost nothing for people. so how could the poor rcv christian education ? I'm questioning their motive. 

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

I didnt say its wrong for churches to open a school for profit, I will be happy if the church become rich so they can help people especially the poor member like Apostles and Paul did.

In my country Catholic schools are expensive and only middle to upper class can afford it, but i did not say its wrong because the Catholic use the profit to do many charity in this city, such as opening a free medical and dental clinic with free medicine for poor people, opening a free nursing home for elders (no pay). The Catholic church never demand tithe from people. They are clever to open schools and make profit to finance their operation. 

Its different with Protestant Christian expensive schools, they charge 10 x the fee of the public school, but rich family are competing to put their children there as they are much better than public schools, however the poor people are not able to be educated there. In return they give almost nothing for people. so how could the poor rcv christian education ? I'm questioning their motive. 

This is an interesting observation and helpful to read.   One of the challenges on a global site like this is knowing what region comments apply to.   This is a good example of me making an error by thinking purely in terms of US schools.   I've been starting to increasingly add the phrase "in the US" to some of my posts.  

I think it's a fair question to ask where the profit is going.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This is an interesting observation and helpful to read.   One of the challenges on a global site like this is knowing what region comments apply to.   This is a good example of me making an error by thinking purely in terms of US schools.   I've been starting to increasingly add the phrase "in the US" to some of my posts.  

I think it's a fair question to ask where the profit is going.

Very wise. In the UK, for example, the situation is completely different again - most church schools (whether Catholic or Protestant) are part of the state school system and are free.