• Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

47 minutes ago, ilovejcsog said:

What do you know about Universalism?

Question: "Is universalism / universal salvation biblical?"

Answer: 
Universalism is the belief that everyone will be saved. There are many people today who hold to universal salvation and believe that all people eventually end up in heaven. Perhaps it is the thought of men and women living a life of eternal torment in hell that causes some to reject the teaching of Scripture on this issue. For some it is an over-emphasis on the love and compassion of God—and the neglect of the righteousness and justice of God—that leads them to believe God will have mercy on every living soul. But the Scriptures do teach that some people will spend eternity in hell.

First of all, the Bible is clear that unredeemed men will dwell forever in hell. Jesus’ own words confirm that the time spent in heaven for the redeemed will last as long as that of the unredeemed in hell. Matthew 25:46 says, “Then they [the unsaved] will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” According to this verse, the punishment of the unsaved is just as eternal as the life of the righteous. Some believe that those in hell will eventually cease to exist, but the Lord Himself confirms that it will last forever. Matthew 25:41 and Mark 9:44 describe hell as “eternal fire” and “unquenchable fire.”

How does one avoid this unquenchable fire? Many people believe that all roads—all religions and beliefs—lead to heaven, or they consider that God is so full of love and mercy that He will allow all people into heaven. God is certainly full of love and mercy; it was these qualities that led Him to send His Son, Jesus Christ, to earth to die on the cross for us. Jesus Christ is the exclusive door that leads to an eternity in heaven. Acts 4:12 says, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” “There is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5). In John 14:6, Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” If we choose to reject God’s Son, we do not meet the requirements for salvation (John 3:16, 18, 36).

With verses such as these, it becomes clear that universalism and universal salvation are unbiblical beliefs. Universalism directly contradicts what Scripture teaches. While many people accuse Christians of being intolerant and “exclusive,” it is important to remember that these are the words of Christ Himself. Christians did not develop these ideas on their own; Christians are simply stating what the Lord has already said. People choose to reject the message because they do not want to face up to their sin and admit that they need the Lord to save them. To say that those who reject God’s provision of salvation through His Son will be saved is to belittle the holiness and justice of God and negate the need of Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf.

/www.gotquestions.org/universalism.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

28 minutes ago, ilovejcsog said:

What do you know about Universalism?

I have a friend that I've known since college who is a very liberal Methodist.  The Methodist church is about to split over conservatism/Biblical teachings and liberal, or progressive teachings.

Her progressive Christian friends are trying to get her to join the Unitarian Universalist church.  They've left her some links on her Facebook page, which I have read - without comment - to her or them.

I don't understand the "church" part and the "worship service" part of their church.  I can't find any mention of God or Christ so I don't know whom they are worshipping other than themselves. They don't believing in souls being saved or the need to evangelize souls, but of making you aware of your own soul's best way to live.

Here's a link with 100 questions about what they believe and 100 answers.  The bullets below, I've summarized just to give you an inkling.

https://www.uunashua.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/100questions.pdf

•  they believe that their members - who are comprised of pagans, Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics, and more should develop their own view of who God is
  •  they believe that "god" is all-loving and no one is going to hell
  •   they believe that Jesus was a good teacher, but they deny the virgin birth, miracle, and his rising from the dead
  •  they do not believe in sin as the Bible teaches it, but they believe a person is punished "by" their sins and will not be punished "for" their sins

I have NO IDEA why they call their Sunday morning meetings a "worship service" because they do not believe in supernatural deities that can control the natural world.

They sing a lot, but what do they sing?!?

These people need GREAT quantities of prayer.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I am impressed with all of your knowledge on UNI.  I hope none of you will mind if I give a link to a friend.  He needs to see the other side.

Thank you so much for your responses!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I understand that universalism is quite popular right now. That makes sense. They can do what they want with no consequences. BOY!!!! are they going to be surprised :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, ilovejcsog said:

I am impressed with all of your knowledge on UNI.  I hope none of you will mind if I give a link to a friend.  He needs to see the other side.

Thank you so much for your responses!

I wouldn't know much at all if my friend on Facebook wasn't receiving these links from universalists trying to get het to join their organization.

Here's another that shows they are not Biblical at all.  This was the first one I saw on Facebook.  https://www.uua.org/beliefs

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My understand is that all religions are acceptable to them, sort of an "all roads lead to heaven" false doctrine.

I am concerned for my friend.  It seems he is moving to UNI.   Their argument seems to be mostly that what kind of a loving God would condemn his creation to Hell?  So they don't believe he is.   No one will go to H.  I feel a little ill inside.  Have they forgotten the God of the old testament?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

2 hours ago, ilovejcsog said:

I am concerned for my friend.  It seems he is moving to UNI.   Their argument seems to be mostly that what kind of a loving God would condemn his creation to Hell?  So they don't believe he is.   No one will go to H.  I feel a little ill inside.  Have they forgotten the God of the old testament?

Pray for your friend! Share the Gospel! Ask God to open his eyes to the reality that he needs a "real" Savior, the only Savior who can take away our sins, Jesus Christ! :)
Hell "is" real, Jesus loved us so much, that He died in our place that folks need not go there if they will repent and believe on Him! THAT'S the LOVE the WORLD needs to know about!

We have had "Unitarian Universalist" show up in force at public schools in our areas advocating for the sinful LGBT curriculum. And boy, did that "loving all" bunch look extremely angry. They are an off shoot of Univeralsist with similar thoughts.

A few tidbits from the book "Kingdom of the Cults"
"Unitarian Universalism:

Just what is the “saving message”—this Unitarian version of the “good news”? According to Harvey M. Joyner Jr., “The ‘good news’ of Unitarian Universalism is that it gives us a ‘safe house’ in which to wage our own heresy, whatever tradition we might have come from.” In short, the saving Unitarian message is pluralism—“a theology centered on tolerance, interdependence, and compassion.”

Concluding Thoughts on Unitarian Universalism:

“There is a Men’s Support Group, a Friday Morning Meditation Group, a Hatha Yoga group, the Wednesday Night Minister’s Class, a Parenting Class, a Spiritual Autobiography Class, a New Physics Class, a Neo-Pagan group, and several Women’s Spirituality groups. In addition, there are Saturday workshops, such as Living With Awareness and Compassion, Spirituality in the Workplace, and Chinese Medicine.”
Yes, the Unitarian Universalists have something for everybody.
The denomination is a one-stop spiritual supermarket. Through its adoption of church growth principles, it seeks to maximize its tremendous market potential, tapping into legions of savvy baby boomer consumers. Unfortunately, what the Unitarians cannot provide a generation of hungry seekers is the one food that will satisfy: the Lord Jesus Christ, the Living Bread from heaven. Christians must take this mission field seriously, holding forth the Bread of Life to a group that prides itself on knowledge but which never comes to a knowledge of the truth. May God cause many in the UU to buy that food without price, which only the Triune God of Scripture can supply."

• Thumbs Up 1

I am so concerned for him because this man has The Lord in his life his whole life, 64 years.  He knows the word inside and out.  He tells me all about the word when I have a question.  He always has the answer.  How could this happen to him?  It is so disturbing.  I can understand when a person doesn't know much of the word.  His wife and him raised their children in the word.

I appreciate the comments and the help.  I will continue to pray for him it is just so disturbing that he of all people would turn from his beliefs.

Thank you again.

Roxanne