IGNORED

Update: I have feelings for a nonbeliever that wants to know more about what I believe

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

24 minutes ago, Debp said:

Have you explained to her that Christianity isn't about following rules (betterment journey)?   But rather when she realizes her need for forgiveness through Christ, that the Holy Spirit will come to indwell her and help her to grow spiritually?   She can try to do Christian things but until she acknowledges her need of Christ, it will all be dead works.

I have not really explained that to her about Christianity. I really have only explained things as they have come up, or when she has had questions. I'm so glad she's reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis because I think it lays out a very good idea of what Christianity actually claims. I feel like she has a lot of misconceptions about what Christians actually believe. I may ask her if she'd like to have a discussion after each chapter about what she thought and any questions she might have. I also need to remind her that Christian books are no substitute for the Bible.

37 minutes ago, Debp said:

Do you have a good understanding pastor?   If so, could you ask her if she would be willing to talk with the pastor, even about her depression?

P.S.  Have you taken her to church?

To complicate things further, she and I are an hour apart. I just graduated college, and she has one more year of it. I just started going to a church in my hometown (my family never went to church while I was growing up before college), so I have not yet met the pastor there. She has said she would definitely go to church with me; it's just that she doesn't seem interested in going by herself.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

21 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

I have not really explained that to her about Christianity. I really have only explained things as they have come up, or when she has had questions. I'm so glad she's reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis because I think it lays out a very good idea of what Christianity actually claims. I feel like she has a lot of misconceptions about what Christians actually believe. I may ask her if she'd like to have a discussion after each chapter about what she thought and any questions she might have. I also need to remind her that Christian books are no substitute for the Bible.

To complicate things further, she and I are an hour apart. I just graduated college, and she has one more year of it. I just started going to a church in my hometown (my family never went to church while I was growing up before college), so I have not yet met the pastor there. She has said she would definitely go to church with me; it's just that she doesn't seem interested in going by herself.

Maybe you should explain the simple Gospel to her?   Since that is the foundation of our faith....

• Praise God! 1

Just now, Debp said:

Maybe you should explain the simple Gospel to her?   Since that is the foundation of our faith....

I should have mentioned that she is actively involved in a Christian college ministry and has been for the last three years. So she is aware of the story of Jesus as well as his claims, to my knowledge. I certainly can ask her about it and ask her what she thinks of the person of Jesus.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

10 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

I should have mentioned that she is actively involved in a Christian college ministry and has been for the last three years. So she is aware of the story of Jesus as well as his claims, to my knowledge. I certainly can ask her about it and ask her what she thinks of the person of Jesus.

Do you mean it's a Christian outreach that is trying to evangelize on campus?  That is, they are trying to reach her?   For her to participate for three years, is it social activities?

Many unbelievers might have good things to say about Jesus.   You need to see what she thinks about her sins and her need of the Savior.   Is she willing to accept Him as her personal Savior?   Or does she reject that she needs Christ to save her?

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

20 hours ago, Willa said:

Cow eyes?????  Really!!!!:foot-stomp:

Cow eyes is a term I grew up with.  It didn't mean she was a cow.  It meant she had large eyes, like a cow has, and uses them to flirt.  It's not an insult.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Trayalc said:

I have not really explained that to her about Christianity.

1 hour ago, Debp said:

Let me tell you something, my friend. From reading this, and the other post you've linked here on this one, it could well be a courtship to certain disaster, if left unchecked or unbridled. As a Christian, you can't really afford to do that right now in your life, and I feel as if you realize this. It appears as if this girl is skipping around the issue of wanting to be truly saved, and relationship married minded or not, wouldn't be wise if she weren't also on the same level you are with the Lord. Just saying. Great responses, everyone. God bless!

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My son had led his wife to the Lord.  She had gone to his college age bible study with him and afterwards broke down crying and saying she didn't know God could ever forgiver her.  Son testified to how God had changed him;  He had a copy of Navigators scriptures to lead a person to salvation and they went through the Bible following that.  She received Christ and became an immediate soul winner, insisting on an alter call at their wedding.   All things are possible with God.  Son was 24 with a steady job and she was 21 at the time.  She also was pretty determined and he was more shy, but he is definitely the leader in the home and they are a great team.  

My advice would be to stay in a group when you are with her, whether it is with friends or a church group.  Being an hour away is a good thing.  It leaves you texting, emailing and phoning a lot.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 2

22 hours ago, Debp said:

Do you mean it's a Christian outreach that is trying to evangelize on campus?  That is, they are trying to reach her?   For her to participate for three years, is it social activities?

Many unbelievers might have good things to say about Jesus.   You need to see what she thinks about her sins and her need of the Savior.   Is she willing to accept Him as her personal Savior?   Or does she reject that she needs Christ to save her?

Yes. The college ministry meets weekly with a Christian message, and naturally it also serves as a social outing. I think she sees it simply as a good, loving community and not much more than that. She believes Christianity is life-bettering, but has not yet given her life to Christ or accepted that Jesus was the Son of God. She told me the idea of there being a God "just doesn't make sense" to her. I've always been fascinated in apologetics and have become fairly familiar with it, so I've been encouraging her to ask questions and talk about that sort of thing. At points I think I've seen some wheels turning, which is encouraging.

I do understand that I need to be cautious moving forward. I honestly have no idea how exactly this is going to resolve at this point, but I am praying that the Holy Spirit will work through this trial and trusting that He will lead me through it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 7/26/2019 at 1:50 AM, Trayalc said:

We have stayed in communication but technically still remain only friends, although she seems to think we are a "future couple," the two of us meant to be together. There have been some very encouraging as well as discouraging developments so far.

Let us start with the encouraging stuff:

Firstly, she has expressed that ever since spending time with me, she has been seeing a lot more Bible verses and Christian quotes pop up in her life. Perhaps it's God trying to speak to her.

Well it seems a blessing and a curse at the same time. A blessing because she is in faith, but a curse because you two have become incompatible. I thought faith brings people together, i guess there are exceptions to the rule. Discover things together but if you ant her you might have to let your feelings known.