• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

Another topic to discuss.

I've been doing a fair amount of research on Roman Law during the 1st century (AD as it used to be said, CE as it is said now in the secular era).

There are lots of interesting things to learn.  Here are a few:

• Peter was crucified while Paul was beheaded, because Paul was a Roman citizen while Peter was not.
  • Just being born in the borders of the Roman Empire/Republic did not make one a citizen. 
  • Citizens got much "better" sentences than non-citizens, hence Paul getting the preferable form of death for breaking the Roman laws.
  • Citizens were commonly given the opportunity to kill themselves before trial, as conviction was likely and most death sentences were much worse than Pauls.  Non-citizens would commonly kill themselves as soon as they learned they would be charged because the death sentences for non-citizens were commonly crucifixion or being tied in a bag with a viper, a fighting cock, a monkey and a fox, then thrown in water. Non-citizens were not given the chance to kill themselves as the people of Rome wanted to ensure that they suffered for their crimes.
  • Slaves: there were many, many slaves in the Roman empire.  Slaves were often called into court to testify in other cases. One source I read stated that slaves were required to be tortured before appearing in court, even just to testify.  Apparently, the courts held that a slave could only be trusted when the testimony was extracted under duress.  After a slave killed his master around the time of Christ, the Roman Senate ordered all 400 of the dead mans slaves crucified.
  • If a person was found guilty of a lessor crime, they would likely die from the punishment.  A common, non-death penalty was to be sentenced to slave labor on a government project, where they would be severely worked and not fed adequately.
  • Crucifixion was very common.  After the famous Spartacus slave uprising, the Romans crucified 6000 slaves, lining the famous Apian way for more than a hundred miles.

That's all for now.  I must go offline now.  It is late, too late.

Do any of you know anything about Roman Law?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,123
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

do some looking into Lex Fori for some interesting reading.

13 hours ago, other one said:

do some looking into Lex Fori for some interesting reading.

I see interesting things where the application of this principle in modern jurisprudence is fueling the need for international law - world government.

Have you found a source for information about Lex Fori in 1st century Roman law?

No one has more information on Roman Law in the 1st Century?

On 9/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, lftc said:

I see interesting things where the application of this principle in modern jurisprudence is fueling the need for international law - world government.

Have you found a source for information about Lex Fori in 1st century Roman law?

It's been about 30 years since I delved into this subject lftc.    and it's extremely complicated....   add to that while I was looking into this, it was library work because the internet wasn't available them..... 

There isn't one single "Roman Law" for there was one set of laws for the Legal Roman citizens and other for non....   and they did not force their laws on other countries but had a way of resolving conflicts between different legal systems and the court process is known as Lex Fori….

Interestingly in about 1891 we passed an act that set the ten square miles of the US Capitol complex aside from the rest of the country making it a city state on it's own so it could be run as a corporation.....   It has it's own constitution and the legal system is the Lex Fori system that associates English Maritime Law and our own legal system.    It takes books to understand how this all comes together and I personally have not seen a simple description of how it all works....        You will find lots of information across the internet, but most people will just declare it some far out conspiracy thing and pay no attention to it...

So basically it is not worth the time and effort to look it all up unless you just want to know for yourself....    if you are serious about it then do a duckduckgo.com search on "Three City States"    covers some of it and you can get inside the system from there...  when you understand what the "Empire of the City" is, you can approach the subject of Roman Law in the context of todays world.      You can also understand why the world is what it is....   and how deep the evil is in the globalist one world movement.            And why they are fighting Donald J Trump so hard. 

6 minutes ago, other one said:

It's been about 30 years since I delved into this subject lftc.    and it's extremely complicated....   add to that while I was looking into this, it was library work because the internet wasn't available them..... 

There isn't one single "Roman Law" for there was one set of laws for the Legal Roman citizens and other for non....   and they did not force their laws on other countries but had a way of resolving conflicts between different legal systems and the court process is known as Lex Fori….

Interestingly in about 1891 we passed an act that set the ten square miles of the US Capitol complex aside from the rest of the country making it a city state on it's own so it could be run as a corporation.....   It has it's own constitution and the legal system is the Lex Fori system that associates English Maritime Law and our own legal system.    It takes books to understand how this all comes together and I personally have not seen a simple description of how it all works....        You will find lots of information across the internet, but most people will just declare it some far out conspiracy thing and pay no attention to it...

So basically it is not worth the time and effort to look it all up unless you just want to know for yourself....    if you are serious about it then do a duckduckgo.com search on "Three City States"    covers some of it and you can get inside the system from there...  when you understand what the "Empire of the City" is, you can approach the subject of Roman Law in the context of todays world.      You can also understand why the world is what it is....   and how deep the evil is in the globalist one world movement.            And why they are fighting Donald J Trump so hard. 

Thanks for the in-depth response.

And I see your point about the relationship between Roman Law and modern jurisprudence.  SPecifically, the Lex Fori principle, which I had already read about the principle in Roman Law.

I have done enough research to make me receptive to the ideas I perceive you are suggesting related to the modern world.  Ideas about the three city states of London, Vatican and Washington DC controlling the rest of the world.  I hold no conclusion on such matters in the current world, being aware of my own lack of knowledge on that subject.  But I certainly believe that such things are possible given the things I do know about the spiritual world, the history of the world, and universal failure of government.

But this topic is about Roman Law in the 1st Century.  In that time, according the research I have done, the Roman Law (law here is a cumulative term, referring to the system of individual laws) did allow for regional law.  Which modern law systems refer to as Lex Fori.  Like a lot of discussions about such things, this sounds good on the surface.  But more investigation leads the other way. 

Often, in the 1st Century, this led to worse tyranny than ever:  Roman law authorized the regional Governor complete autocratic authority.  Unless a Roman authority wanted to intervene.  This then renders a more difficult situation for the person living in that time and geographic locale:  your activities may be not tolerated by one authority or the other.

From this we get the theives on the crosses next to Jesus.  Why are they being crucified?  Hopefully not a ruling from the Sanhedrin or other Jewish court, as the Mosaic Law does not call for a Death Penalty for theft.  And the Mosaic Law never calls for crucifixion.  Probably, like in Jesus' case, a snap decision from the Roman Authroized Governor, loosely based on Roman Law (which was very harsh on theft since the Roman Senate did not like their stuff stolen).

Anyway, I am still looking for what people know specifically about Roman Law in the 1st Century.  It does have bearing on what we believe about things in the New Testament.

43 minutes ago, lftc said:

Anyway, I am still looking for what people know specifically about Roman Law in the 1st Century.  It does have bearing on what we believe about things in the New Testament.

https://www.amazon.com/Corpus-Juris-Civilis-17-Vols/dp/0404110266/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=corpus+juris+civilis+english&qid=1568741787&s=gateway&sr=8-5

https://droitromain.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/Anglica/codjust_Scott.htm

33 minutes ago, other one said:

Thanks very much.  I already had read some from this collection of Roman Law from the 6th century.  As experts have observed, it is not known precisely how much law from the 1st century survived intact until the 6th century, especially as the intervening centuries saw dramatic change in the Roman empire.

Do you know of any sources that address that issue?

I really appreciate the link to the full text online.

4 minutes ago, lftc said:

Thanks very much.  I already had read some from this collection of Roman Law from the 6th century.  As experts have observed, it is not known precisely how much law from the 1st century survived intact until the 6th century, especially as the intervening centuries saw dramatic change in the Roman empire.

Do you know of any sources that address that issue?

I really appreciate the link to the full text online.

no   You might ask someone who has gone through law school.....

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

4 hours ago, lftc said:

No one has more information on Roman Law in the 1st Century?

There's tons of information on it all over the web but I'm curious, are you seeking something in particular for a specific reason?