• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

52 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Can I just for clarification on this, as i am under the impression that any non Jew is a Gentile. Is there any other type of non-Jew?

genealogy wise, a gentile is a person of non jewish descent or nationality. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

21 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Thank you. I have no idea what tribe my ancestors were, they were German need, most of whom died in WW2

My dad was Israeli. Never knew him or my mother.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

A person can convert to “Judaism” but is still considered a non jew genealogy wise. In the bible the word gentile refers to a person that is from any nation outside of Israel descendant. In the spiritual sense, anyone who has put their faith in Jesus is a jew. Romans 2 and 3 speak on this.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

And you know what they did collapse, when one of our sales people figured a way to get  the community interested in  moving  their already dead and buried to our cemetery from the RCC owned one.

Why?

42 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

about gentiles becoming Jews somehow.

He was probably talking about Gentiles who convert to Judaism. This happens every day for various reasons but is most common for those who marry into a Jewish family. Ivanka Trump for instance. So, in that context it's not ethnic but rather an adoption of the religion.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,693
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

48 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Why?

They collapsed because of the financial drain on their  cemetery division  assets and bottom line returns.

Why did it happen at all? The community of Roman Catholics,  mostly Italian and Yugoslavian, were compelled to  bury their own too far from their home locale, at the Catholic Cemeteries each of them a few cities away. They tended to be families that do visit the place of burial of their own loved ones. Many an aging widow had to take buses to do what they wanted to do to remember and honor the ones they loved that had died. We were  pretty much right in their neighborhood.

Then the church started coming out in private to bless sites at our local to them cemetery. After that the word spread amongst them, families started wanting their already  buried family members moved to our facility. We tried suggesting  the concept of a cenotaph, a place of honoring the memory without a body being at that site. That works to satisfy  many people, but it did not with the local Roman Catholics, in part because they felt deceived as they had to go far to visit, yet others did get the rites of the church at our facility in private.

One of our sales people were bright enough to pick up on that idea of a cenotaph, and started selling what is pre-need property  convincing the buyers to  include an extra site  as a place to put the name and a flower vase a cenotaph and dedicated as the place of remembrance for their already buried members, But the families then got the bright idea once the property was built/developed for use to also have the remains moved.

I once had a back log  of just over 200 to arrange with the Catholic cemetery. We and they were shocked, we conferred many times, but finally did what the families wanted. We really couldn't stop them. The local archdiocese changed it's rules altogether, and soon so did the church across the entire country far as I know.

I knew the cardinal of the diocese at the time, had met him  long before he was assigned his duty.  He also knew us all well. Anyway at the end of it all, families were free to do their privilege and duty to the church without having to buy  a place of burial at Roman Catholic enterprises, their church owned cemeteries. And we all moved along. The Church was in the throws of many changing in rites regarding dying, death, funerals, rosaries, mass, at the time.

I endured many a heated phone call from our local monsignor during the changing processes, but we both got to kinda tolerate  and understand each other's need.

32 minutes ago, appy said:

A person can convert to “Judaism” but is still considered a non jew genealogy wise. In the bible the word gentile refers to a person that is from any nation outside of Israel descendant. In the spiritual sense, anyone who has put their faith in Jesus is a jew. Romans 2 and 3 speak on this.

Romans 2:

5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life:

8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that does evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honor, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

It has nothing to do with being a Jew and Paul didn't say that anyone who has put their faith in Christ is a Jew, he said "There is no respect of persons with God"! You are probably referring to verses 28- 29 of the same Chapter which says

28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Remember Paul was preaching to Gentiles but for perspective, in this passage he is doing comparisons and speaking of Jews and Gentiles. It is debated whether Paul meant this verse literally (a Gentile who serves Christ is a Jew), figuratively, or whether he is actually speaking to Jews or at least referencing Jews who are relying on the Law. Leading up to this verse was a discussion of circumcision and that is certainly a Jewish topic. So, all I'm saying is I'm not comfortable with a blanket statement that anyone who puts their faith in Christ is a "Jew" and certainly can't see that conclusion from that verse or the entirety of this text. May be semantics but a distinction I feel should be noted for anyone who is new to the Scriptures.  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Of course by God's doing alone I am not Roman Catholic, Jewish, Protestant,  nor Gentile. I am born again into the body  of Christ Jesus by God alone, a Christian yes, but a sinner saved by grace from God solely.

A follower of Jesus without affiliation?  How archaic.  Right out of the 1st century.

• Haha 1
  • Loved it! 1

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

Remember gentiles are grafted onto the vine. Spiritual Jews are not the same thing as a Jew by birth or conversion to Judaism.

I agree but I'm just not comfortable with the confusion that could arise in a non believer or new believer with the term "Spiritual Jews" (which could be misinterpreted or understood to mean Jews who have converted)) and since it's irrelevant what one calls one's self as long as one is serving Christ ("for there is no respect of persons with God) I just shy away from such tags. I understand what Paul was saying I just don't see any benefit to using those terms in general and since they are unnecessary anyway, I personally usually don't even bother to bring them up unless the situation demands. Just as with the post to which I replied, too often they are made as statements without proper explanation and while the poster did reference the Bible passage, I'm erring on the side of caution for those who either don't go read the Scripture for understanding or who those who might not understand simply by reading them.

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

19 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Remember gentiles are grafted onto the vine. Spiritual Jews are not the same thing as a Jew by birth or conversion to Judaism.

You are correct. The apostle said "all Israel will be saved" meaning that (believers) Israelis and non Israelis will be saved because all believers are the seed of Abraham.