Jayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

"When the Bible says 'lean not on your own  understanding', the Bible is being serious. 

Your heart is deceitful, your emotions fluctuate,  your understanding does not see the overall, big picture.

God never lies, God never changes, and God knows all.  TRUST him."

[I can't find the author's name]

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,632
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

"When the Bible says 'lean not on your own  understanding', the Bible is being serious. 

Your heart is deceitful, your emotions fluctuate,  your understanding does not see the overall, big picture.

The introduction to that thought is "Trust the LORD with all your heart".

• Thumbs Up 1

It is followed by "In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

download.jpg.bdb7c96e6d6b8740b8eff31381fbd2f0.jpg

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,023
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,339
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

bible-verses-6.jpg.6c85941c32ef7bdc576452e203ca9883.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi all,

I suggest that put into fuller context the isolated quote is not a condemnation at all. It is not a discouragement but instead a wonderful encouragement.

It starts right out with  encouragement to use  one's brain to remember what is taught. That way ones heart will be in what one does.It goes on to list many clarifying examples of how best to do that and gives promise of the reward from God of a straightforward path.

It encourages one to learn the practical application  of the instruction to the point it is  inscribed within the heart making it one's desire too as it is God's also.

It is not a put down  a scourging of man, but a instruction framed in positive guidance onto positive end result.

Seems to me to isolate a verse, which (versification) was not part of God's word but instead is a tool of man that gets misused often is a errant manner of presenting God to anyone. Using a tiny faction of what is known as Psalm 3 to browbeat  instead of encourage each other and to praise God  seems  to m to be a presentation with an agenda other than that which God will have for me. I see reward in learning and taking into my being God's desire for me to contin a huge reward, for me personally, that of having my pathways made straight by God Himself. Seems to me God does want me to work  at it to use my brain to read His word and to see the examples of application and then apply the principles to all that I may do, doing so to his Glory alone.

Psalm 3

"My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man.Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed. The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens; by his knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew. My son, do not lose sight of these— keep sound wisdom and discretion and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it”—when you have it with you. Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you. Do not conten with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm. Do not envy a man of violence  and do not choose any of his ways, for the devious person is an abomination to the Lordbut the upright are in his confidence. The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the dwelling of the righteous. Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he gives favor. The wise will inherit honor, but fools get disgrace."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Jayne said:

'lean not on your own  understanding',

Nice one Jayne!
Can't begin to tell you the frustrated times I've mumbled aloud,
"Trust the Lord-Trust the Lord- Trust the Lord- (trust)

Quit trying to figger it out!
Just let Him know (acknowledge)
Then wait upon Him (direction)
To me, this the key that opens up action in concert with will. His will.
A hub, or like many gears coming in mesh, fitly joined.
Steadying my aim, for His mark. Lest I miss it.
God's ways are not man's ways.
God is Light
So we can see....

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Very true, but sometimes hard to do completely.  At least it is for me right now.

Dear sister, I know, I've been there, for many years I could always provide for myself and my family with my tools and my hands, ...then one day I heard a Man of God say, ..God loves you, He would of sent His Son to die on the Cross for you if you were the only person on the earth, ...if God loves you that much, more than He loves His own Son, then you can Trust Him, ...it's like standing on the edge of a swimming pool that is only 4 feet deep, you can just lean forward and fall in face first knowing that no harm will come to you, ...so it is with God, we must have total Trust in Him, ...and He proved that at the Cross, and just make the decision in our heart to just lean forward and fall face first into the outstretched Arms of our LOVING heavenly Father.

When I finally did this I found the water of His Love to be so comforting, so joyful, so fulfilling, so peaceful, so rewarding, ...I wish I would of made the decision so many years before, ...like that Man of God told us, ...come on in the water is fine!

Lord bless