• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Sharms,

I used to work in solitude as a secretary in a large warehouse. No one was around. All I had for company were books I would take to read at work. At the time I wasn't a believer or I would have read the Bible. I know the feeling of loneliness and having others around to interact with and make friendships.  I'm thinking that some of your feelings can be guides in directing you in next steps. Are you happy and satisfied at your job?  We put in long hours at work and this should be considered. Another thing to consider is God's will for your life. Maybe your sense of need to be around other people can be God's prompting to move on to more fruitful pastures?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, Sharms said:

I have a job whereby I work alone. I'm not self employed but I'm the only employee in my location. It has been tough trying to stay self motivated and it is also tough not having any coworkers. How can I stay motivated and still have a productive day even when I feel somewhat isolated? 

It all depends on the perspective. Some people would love this situation. I would have loved it. You need to know that you are never alone. God is always with you. Did you know this would be the situation when you took the job?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Did you know this would be the situation when you took the job?

Yes I did. But I wasn't sure what is was going to be like since I had no prior experience. 

1 minute ago, Sharms said:

Yes I did. But I wasn't sure what is was going to be like since I had no prior experience. 

Other than being alone do you like the job? Do you like your boss? 

I'm not ungrateful towards  the advantages that this job offers. However I've doing lots of researches on certain types of isolation when working and I know that there are drawbacks to working alone. I just wanted to confirm some of the things I was thinking and seeking advice to get different perspectives just to see if I have not considered another aspect. And so far I've learnt a few things in reading what everyone posted. 

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Other than being alone do you like the job? Do you like your boss?

Yes I do like my boss. I do like my job but I'm not certain of the scope of promotion it offers. 

3 minutes ago, Sharms said:

Yes I do like my boss. I do like my job but I'm not certain of the scope of promotion it offers. 

Well, it is providing a roof over your head and food on the table for now. Have you gone to college? Do you have a degree? Do you have an opportunity to get a better job?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

I think it depends on the job. I have worked alone in lifeguard towers all day. The problem was staying alert. I worked as a lumberjack for a season clearing land. My boss soon trusted my work ethic and left me alone all day. He'd arrive in the morning, give me an assignment then leave. I worked hard all day trying to reach the goal. At 5 PM, I'd shut off the saw and leave. My girlfriend hates her job at the moment. She is a pro figure skater, but with a decline in interest took a job as a receptionist at a luxury car dealership. They hired her because she is very pretty and fit and looks like a model. I say that to give you an idea of what she does ... nothing. It drives her crazy. The sales guys answer the phones. They just want her to sit there all day like looking like a receptionist next to $80,000 - $150,000 cars. You can imagine the boredom. I missed what you do if you posted it. If you have an office type job maybe a work - reward schedule would help? Set goals for yourself to work for a certain time or accomplish a task then reward yourself. When cutting trees, I would say, "Okay. I'm cutting those five then I'm going to drink a Coke."

Update: I see you posted that you do research?

Edited by TraceMalin

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, Sharms said:

I have a job whereby I work alone. I'm not self employed but I'm the only employee in my location. It has been tough trying to stay self motivated and it is also tough not having any coworkers. How can I stay motivated and still have a productive day even when I feel somewhat isolated? 

I had the same problem. I finally retired. How about studying so that you can get another job? Or engage in some volunteer work that would be uplifting as you do your job?

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

9 hours ago, Sharms said:

How can I stay motivated and still have a productive day even when I feel somewhat isolated? 

During some down times on the job when not having to concentrate on duties, a small pocket sized bible helped tremendously. Necessary moments away from projects can be a good re-charge to your faith in Christ. 

Edited by BeauJangles