Mike Mclees

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

I often like certain secular music when they express things of faith. For example one titled fire and rain. The singer sings Won't you look down upon me Jesus, you got to help me make a stand. Just have see me through another day. My body is acing and my time is at hand. Just wont make it any other way  

Another says "I am I said I am said I and am lost and can't even say why. Leaving me lonely still.

People who sing songs that sing of loneliness loss and greif and pain needing a purpose. Often they give opportunity to share 

I love music and listen to songs often not to mention Christin music.

Any opinions   

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,939
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

14 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

I often like certain secular music when they express things of faith. For example one titled fire and rain. The singer sings Won't you look down upon me Jesus, you got to help me make a stand. Just have see me through another day. My body is acing and my time is at hand. Just wont make it any other way  

Another says "I am I said I am said I and am lost and can't even say why. Leaving me lonely still.

People who sing songs that sing of loneliness loss and greif and pain needing a purpose. Often they give opportunity to share 

Any opinions   

In some cases the division between things Christian and secular is arbitrary, - in other cases it is clear from the Bible that we should avoid works of darkness. 

Personally I prefer to tune into Christian radio, and play Christian CDs, but I also enjoy some types of classical music but if I discover any occultic connections I steer clear.

Some preachers become experts on this subject and critique every genre, as can be found on YouTube.

Was Elvis a Christian? Is his music good or bad? It depends on how you apply the biblical criteria

Christian Living 1 Thess 5:21
20Do not treat prophecies with contempt, 21but test all things. Hold fast to what is good. 22Abstain from every form of evil.…

Think on These Things Phil 4:8
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable— if anything is excellent or praiseworthy— think on these things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.…

10 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

In some cases the division between things Christian and secular is arbitrary, - in other cases it is clear from the Bible that we should avoid works of darkness. 

Personally I prefer to tune into Christian radio, and play Christian CDs, but I also enjoy some types of classical music but if I discover any occultic connections I steer clear.

Some preachers become experts on this subject and critique every genre, as can be found on YouTube.

Was Elvis a Christian? Is his music good or bad? It depends on how you apply the biblical criteria

Christian Living 1 Thess 5:21
20Do not treat prophecies with contempt, 21but test all things. Hold fast to what is good. 22Abstain from every form of evil.…

Think on These Things Phil 4:8
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable— if anything is excellent or praiseworthy— think on these things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.…

I do understand just because many popular singers that sing Christian music are not saved in themselves. I do not practice listening to them because they can sing. Often though songs can touch the heart. I lost my wife a while back. There are songs sung that touch our grief I listen and look at to her all the time. In this I would see no evil. I am particular what I listen to even though the song may not be a Christian song. 

Like you many years ago I would not listen to anything but Christian radio. I am not worldly at all. I made a  bumper sticker yesterday that said In God we Trust  In Jesus I live. 

Thank you for your post.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

Any opinions   

“ Fire and Rain” is a lovely tune. It was written and sung by James Taylor, who Is a card-carrying Atheist. I used to be an Atheist myself.I listen to his music on occasion and enjoy it.Amy Grant is an adulteress if one wants to get legalistic......I listen to her also......everybody whoever recorded a song was a sinner , as far as that goes . I let my New Heart be my guide in these matters.....My daughter used to listen to acts that were  full of anger and hatred, sung by people with growling, ugly voices that went out of their way to be Anti-Christian— I avoid those .

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

Any opinions   

I have always liked James Taylor's songs. Some of them are secular lyrics so I do not listen to them any longer. The meaning of that song is that James Taylor was in a drug rehab center, he met a woman he became friends with while in this rehab center named Suzanne. She ended up committing suicide. This made James Taylor very sad so he wrote a song about it. 

Today I will only listen to a secular song if I have researched the lyrics. That has not always been the case. When I wasn't following very closely with God I would listen to anything. 

Sorry to hear James Taylor was Atheist. I din't knw him as a personal favorite, My wife was called Susanne. she spent time in drug rehab also. Steady drugs will kill you like it did her. your liver and kidneys wear out. She passed out one night and never woke up. she tried to get better but it was to late. She wanted to know Christ and I prayed that she would not die lost. Three days after her funeral I read my devotion. It said good by for now. The lesson was perfect and on time. I know she waits for me being with Jesus. God answered my prayers.I still have that lesson for that day in a baggie by her picture. coincidence. not a chance. good by for only temporary. now is temporary.  

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

The answers previously have all been spot on, as we have to be careful of what we consume through our minds, and even more so with music, as it has a powerful influence over our emotions.  Our musical choices, be they the lyrics or the anti-Christian angry singing styles, either overtly or covertly, can gradually warp our thinking.  

From experience, I don't always pay attention to the lyrics, but when I do, I am shocked at myself for listening to certain songs.  For example, I used to love the hauntingly beautiful Frank Sinatra song of "Strangers in the Night;" but one day I began to focus on the lyrics and it is about a man who is planning on having a one-night stand, which is hardly a message for a Christian to consume.  Now, I change channels when that song comes on.  

Of course, when we broach this issue of which songs to listen to, what pops into my mind is the content involved in the movies and TV programs that are out there.  Although I have Netflix, I spend a lot of time scrolling, trying to decide what is worth two hours of my time and more importantly, what is Christian worthy.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

If I had to select music written  or sung only by a perfect person, I would have to throw out the Psalms of David.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Is" What A Beautiful Day" secular?  I happen to enjoy it very much.

So what is secular and what  is worship? The "religious" rules given and expounded upon by man about music  are as long and varied as the sets of ears to hear them.  Not only  the words are critiqued men making rules, but the instruments as well, plus the volume, the style, and even whether it is a male or female, or mixed,  or multipart harmony. Someone will have an opinion and make a rule on it all.

My thought is for me to listen with my heart first, if it makes me happy gives me encouragement, or makes me aware of something I could be doing something positive about that honors my Lord I enjoy it, and treasure it. It all need not be  refrains of praise of Jesus.

As example; I do like maybe even love a tune of remembrance by Fernando Ortega, if fact two such tunes, each very different from the other; "Angel Fire" and "Mildred Madalyn Johnson". One a tune written about  a sister's sadness at losing a brother and the deep hurt it has left, the other a song about an organist at church much like the organist I once knew that had a 1956 Buick that I very much wanted should she ever sell it.  

At the same time, to these ears, some worship songs can be very lacking in motivational value for me. I think God uses what He will when He so wills for His good purpose, including music. And that isn't bad, but instead good.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

I love the blues, ...like BB said, "You can't be blue while listening to the blues," I never really listened to the words, it's just like Ice Pick (Albert Collins) said, ...the music makes my body move.

I enjoy all of the blues singers of the 60's, ...but I have found as I walk with my Lord, the Holy Spirit inside of me, ...out of respect and love for Him, ...I don't want to subject Him to the lyrics any more.

Lord bless