• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

Good morning Samuel:

There are several issues here:

A)  It would NOT be proper and legal to drive a vehicle that is not covered with insurance, as that would not be in accord with Jesus' mandate of pay back to Caesar what is Caesar's (Matthew 22:21).  Still, if that vehicle has insurance, it would probably cover you if you are licensed, which I know you are; a quick check with an insurance agent would confirm this fact.

B)  They are taking advantage of your magnanimity.  Your time and energy are valuable and you should be duly compensated for your driving time and skills in this arena.  We are reminded at  1 Corinthians 13:4, that love "does not look for its own interests;" so have a brief heart to heart talk with your relatives and remind them that you are glad to help out now and then, but that you should be compensated for your time commensurate with the going rate.

Best, 

Thank you for your message. I agree.

I contacted R1 and R2 and asked them to check with their insurance to see if I'm covered under their policy. When I asked, they dropped my request to drive them. They didn't even bother to check. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

A relative (1) asked me to drive another relative (2) for an appointment. The understanding is that I will do this for them without any compensation. The car belongs to R1, so I do not have an insurance policy in the event of an injury or accident. This is at least 4 hours out of my weekend. I will make the same drive a few weekends out if I agree. A total of 8 to 9 hours of my time. 

I think an uber would cost hundreds of dollars. 

I am concerned about legal ramifications in the unlikely event of an accident on any portion of these trips. R1 and R2 are devout christians. I am a christian also. I would like to help. I haven't yet asked them about the insurance question but I am certain I'm not covered as the car is not mine. To me, I think the right thing for my relatives is to cover me under the insurance but I don't think they are willing to do that. They are in a good financial situation overall but finances are tight from what I can tell and they are obviously trying to save money. I feel like they should've placed me on the policy or offered a rental where all passengers are clearly covered as I am doing this as a favor. I don't want to put myself at legal risk by doing them this favor.

What should I do if I am not covered under their insurance policy? Thanks. 

This is not to be taken as advice; this is my thought process if that were asked of me.

If they have any automobile insurance. Many auto insurance policies cover a driver of their car if temporary permission was granted for them to drive the car. I'd check that out, look at the policy to verify it and make a Xerox copy. 

God ordained government and we are to obey governmental law; but that set aside, which we shouldn't. I'd ask myself how critical is it that they make these appointments and the risk and responsibility I'm putting myself in, if I make a mistake; I'm morally and legally responsible for all my actions, legal or otherwise.

I'd ask myself, why not just use my own insured automobile or take out a temporary insurance policy if it was that important to cover myself and any potential unforeseen events.

I'd say to myself, sudden emergencies are one thing; having the time and opportunity to plan and decide is another. Choices always have consequences and we can't predict events and happenings. Just my personal thoughts...

Edit: I don't recall ever regretting doing the right thing?

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

15 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

Not sure where you are from... but if there is insurance on the vehicle and you are driving it with their permission then you are automatically covered under their policy. So you know where I am coming from... I was an insurance adjuster for 25 years.

This is true. You can check with the insurance company. But I know where I'm from a person is allowed to drive my car up to five times a year without there name being on my policy, they are completely covered just as I am. This is not a sin because you are doing a favor for someone and if you are covered by there insurance. 

God bless ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I think in all likelihood there is no legal issue with my driving someone else's car with their permission. It's also likely that I am fully covered under their policy. 

Having said that, I asked R1 and R2 to check for me to make sure, but the request in and of itself made them re-consider their request. I am happy to reconsider a future request so long as they clear it with their insurance policy first. But it is their obligation as the ones requesting assistance to make sure that the practice is legal for all involved as laws vary from state to state and from one policy to the next. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

22 minutes ago, Revlori said:

This is true. You can check with the insurance company. But I know where I'm from a person is allowed to drive my car up to five times a year without there name being on my policy, they are completely covered just as I am. This is not a sin because you are doing a favor for someone and if you are covered by there insurance. 

God bless ?

True, but verify. Be prepared to present proof of insurance, drivers licence and registration for Po Po and the light show.