Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

A painting by Norman Rockwell appeared on the front of the Saturday Evening Post. It was the picture of the inside of a palatial home with beautiful wall-to-wall carpet. An elegant staircase wound up to the second floor. On the staircase stood a queenly mother who was manifestly affluent and who presided over the home.

Norman Rockwell captured a conflict of emotion when he painted her face. As she stood on the beautifully curved staircase, she looked down at her son who was standing with his dog on the plush carpet. The front door was open, and the rain was pouring down. The little boy, with the dog by his side, evidently had come home from school, walked through all the mud he could find, and tracked ugly blobs of mud on the beautiful carpet.

The little fellow had in his hand a valentine which he had made for his mother. His face was full of life and anticipation as he thought how happy his mother would be to receive the valentine. She looked down at the mud, at the dog, at the boy, and at the valentine he held in his hand.

This painting effectively presents mixed emotions. The heavenly Father has no mixed emotions, however. He welcomes even the most wayward child and covers even the most widespread sin and ugliness.

...Pastor Criswell

"Because Thy loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee." Psalms 63:3

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,257
  • Content Per Day:  1.23

norman rockwell saturday evenng post.jpg

• Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

2 hours ago, Coliseum said:

This painting effectively presents mixed emotions. The heavenly Father has no mixed emotions, however. He welcomes even the most wayward child and covers even the most widespread sin and ugliness.

What God does not welcome is any of His elect church celebrating a pagan festival, like Valentines, following on from xmas, to lent, & easter to come  Ez8v14-16

14 So He brought me to the door of the north gate of the Lord’s house; and to my dismay, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz.

15 Then He said to me, “Have you seen this, O son of man? Turn again, you will see greater abominations than these.” 16 So He brought me into the inner court of the Lord’s house; and there, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men with their backs toward the temple of the Lord and their faces toward the east, and they were worshiping the sun toward the east.

• Oy Vey! 3

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Coliseum said:

A painting by Norman Rockwell appeared on the front of the Saturday Evening Post. It was the picture of the inside of a palatial home with beautiful wall-to-wall carpet. An elegant staircase wound up to the second floor. On the staircase stood a queenly mother who was manifestly affluent and who presided over the home.

Norman Rockwell captured a conflict of emotion when he painted her face. As she stood on the beautifully curved staircase, she looked down at her son who was standing with his dog on the plush carpet. The front door was open, and the rain was pouring down. The little boy, with the dog by his side, evidently had come home from school, walked through all the mud he could find, and tracked ugly blobs of mud on the beautiful carpet.

The little fellow had in his hand a valentine which he had made for his mother. His face was full of life and anticipation as he thought how happy his mother would be to receive the valentine. She looked down at the mud, at the dog, at the boy, and at the valentine he held in his hand.

...Pastor Criswell

"Because Thy loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee." Psalms 63:3

Very well said. 

Just now, Godismyloveforever said:

But but but I didn't know giving my mommy a card I made that said I love you was doing the work of satan. :consoling2:

Like the irony, but you could buy a card at anytime of the year, or just go up to her, give her a hug, & say your bit. I will leave it to you to find the meanings of St Valentines, if you wish to do so!

4 hours ago, Coliseum said:

Just now, Godismyloveforever said:

And just what is it that makes you think that picture has anything to do with valentine's day??????

See OP. I didn't look at the date, just read the story!

Edited by Yeshua153

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brothers & Sisters

Heartwarming,thank you to the OP for sharing......life is full of mixed emotions and it is wonderful! After all,how would we know what real Joy is if were not for sorrow-how would we know delight without dismay and so on-we couldnt learn a thing without experiencing emotions,could we?

As Christians we discover that our emotions can lead us down a path of deception if we allow our feelings to affect our decisions but that may be an entirely different subject for another Topic,lol  I do hope the "Mom"in Rockwells painting was not Mommy Dearest!!!

Valentine's Day,Mothers Day,Teachers Day or whatever day is a great day to say"I love you"-personally I don't care where or how any holiday originated,I'm not a pagan & I serve God Almighty.My front door is always decorated with every opportunity there is to spread the Gospel,be it Christmas,Easter & even Valentines day.This year I put a big heart on display only it did not say"Happy Valentines Day" is said "Jesus Loves you"

Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good             Romans 12:21

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the Truth             1 Cor 13:6

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• This is Worthy 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

11 hours ago, Godismyloveforever said:

And just what is it that makes you think that picture has anything to do with valentine's day??????

It could be Mother's Day. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, Godismyloveforever said:

I thought it had to do with Mother's Day. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

16 hours ago, 1to3 said:

norman rockwell saturday evenng post.jpg

I take this to say love is more important than having a clean house. Love overcomes a number of faults.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1