IGNORED

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?s in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

Daniel Marsh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

If prophecy  is dictation from God, should we not add those to Scripture.    Just a side note.    If someone knows how to answer it, please do so.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

Luke, Mark, James (depending on which James wrote the book), and Jude were authors of NT books and were not capital-A Apostles.    The vast majority of Christians today would also consider the early church fathers who determined the canon of the NT to be inspired in some infallible way by the Holy Spirit as well.  Acts 13:1-4 makes it appear the Holy Spirit spoke in some way to all of the elders at Antioch.  If it had been to Paul alone, it's likely Luke would have recorded it that the Holy Spirit spoke to Paul who then spoke to the others.   In Acts 9, God spoke directly to Ananias in a vision.  As other have mentioned, guidance and prophecy are associated with non-Apostles, e.g. Agabus, Mary, Philip's daughters, and many nameless converts in which it is described that they spoke in tongues and prophesied when the Holy Spirit came on them.   Various lists of gifts in the church also seem to suggest strongly that various forms of revelation occurred in people who were not Apostles.  

I think one aspect that few people consider is what "taught" really means.  I think today many Christians in the west have this idea of the Holy Spirit giving a special few capital-A Apostles the first classes in advanced systematic theology once and for all.  To a large degree, much of the church today idolizes doctrine and theology and sees it as something for all Christians to aspire toward knowing perfectly.  In contrast, my sense is that the early church was much more focused on knowing God Himself and walking with Him.  It was about knowing Jesus Christ, being transformed by the Holy Spirit, and seeing the hand of God active in their lives.  My sense is that the early church considered being "taught" of the Holy Spirit to be more related to living life and knowing God rather than our Western view of being "taught" as aspiring to have perfect intellectual doctrinal knowledge of Christian theology.  I would relate this to the difference of people who consider "faith" to be completely convinced (with no doubts) of various intellectual positions versus those who consider "faith" to be trust and confidence and assurance in God Himself which grows over time because of the months and years and decades that they've seen Him active in their lives.  Is the main point of being "taught" by God to have intellectual perfection or to have Him show us how to walk with Him in our daily lives?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

38 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

If prophecy  is dictation from God, should we not add those to Scripture.    Just a side note.    If someone knows how to answer it, please do so.

This statement seems to carry the assumption that the only purpose God ever has in speaking is to the entire church definitively for all times and never to individuals or local groups for guidance or direction for a particular time and place.  

I see the fundamental matter about revelation today as this.     Did God only speak once to Christians through the Bible?   or does God continue to speak today to all Christians individually and corporately in ways which will always be consistent with the Bible? 

My view is that something fundamental changed about revelation on the Day of Pentecost.  Prior to that, God's Spirit would come upon specially chosen people temporarily for the purpose of speaking God's words or being empowered in a special way.  After Pentecost, God's Spirit was on all believers to be able to speak His words.  Unlike the OT when God used specially chosen prophets, today the Holy Spirit (God Himself) resides in all believers.  I think that is much of what Jesus meant when He said the least in the Kingdom of Heaven was greater than John the Baptist.  John was the culmination of the OT prophetic line who pointed out and baptized the Messiah.  What is different about each of us compared to John?  The Holy Spirit lives inside of us.  Prior to Christ's death and resurrection, it was about striving to know the Law and follow it.  After His resurrection, it is about knowing God and having Him live inside of us and transforming us.   If we see the primary point of the Bible as being a series of rules or a theology textbook, we focus on it as a once-for-all revelation that can never be added to.  If we see the primary point of the Bible as pointing us to God, we see it as a history of what God has done and a guide for what He will continue to do in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, maryjayne said:

The Holy Spirit is God and Jesus Christ.

?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 hour ago, Daniel Marsh said:

No—have you ever considered the many conversations and interactions that took place among the brethren in assemblies?

The great many sessions where Paul and others expounded truth as the LOrd led? Or words of wisdom that served to guide individuals on a daily basis and in regard to current events?

Edited by Alive
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This statement seems to carry the assumption that the only purpose God ever has in speaking is to the entire church definitively for all times and never to individuals or local groups for guidance or direction for a particular time and place.  

I see the fundamental matter about revelation today as this.     Did God only speak once to Christians through the Bible?   or does God continue to speak today to all Christians individually and corporately in ways which will always be consistent with the Bible? 

My view is that something fundamental changed about revelation on the Day of Pentecost.  Prior to that, God's Spirit would come upon specially chosen people temporarily for the purpose of speaking God's words or being empowered in a special way.  After Pentecost, God's Spirit was on all believers to be able to speak His words.  Unlike the OT when God used specially chosen prophets, today the Holy Spirit (God Himself) resides in all believers.  I think that is much of what Jesus meant when He said the least in the Kingdom of Heaven was greater than John the Baptist.  John was the culmination of the OT prophetic line who pointed out and baptized the Messiah.  What is different about each of us compared to John?  The Holy Spirit lives inside of us.  Prior to Christ's death and resurrection, it was about striving to know the Law and follow it.  After His resurrection, it is about knowing God and having Him live inside of us and transforming us.   If we see the primary point of the Bible as being a series of rules or a theology textbook, we focus on it as a once-for-all revelation that can never be added to.  If we see the primary point of the Bible as pointing us to God, we see it as a history of what God has done and a guide for what He will continue to do in the future. 

Most excellent! Praise the LOrd.

To add: the letters in the NT are only a sliver of what took place.

I see the scriptures as a fence that creates a border to contain us doctrinally. I think we do wrong to make the Bible our God.

This may not be a popular thought, but it is mine.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

9 minutes ago, Alive said:

I see the scriptures as a fence that creates a border to contain us doctrinally. I think we do wrong to make the Bible our God.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

I don't know what you are looking for.

The Holy Spirit is God and Jesus Christ. They speak to us every day, in one way or another.

What, specifically, are you asking which is different from the daily dialogue and teaching all born again Christians experience?

I am looking for direct teachings to individuals in the bible alone. 

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Luke, Mark, James (depending on which James wrote the book), and Jude were authors of NT books and were not capital-A Apostles.    The vast majority of Christians today would also consider the early church fathers who determined the canon of the NT to be inspired in some infallible way by the Holy Spirit as well.  Acts 13:1-4 makes it appear the Holy Spirit spoke in some way to all of the elders at Antioch.  If it had been to Paul alone, it's likely Luke would have recorded it that the Holy Spirit spoke to Paul who then spoke to the others.   In Acts 9, God spoke directly to Ananias in a vision.  As other have mentioned, guidance and prophecy are associated with non-Apostles, e.g. Agabus, Mary, Philip's daughters, and many nameless converts in which it is described that they spoke in tongues and prophesied when the Holy Spirit came on them.   Various lists of gifts in the church also seem to suggest strongly that various forms of revelation occurred in people who were not Apostles.  

I think one aspect that few people consider is what "taught" really means.  I think today many Christians in the west have this idea of the Holy Spirit giving a special few capital-A Apostles the first classes in advanced systematic theology once and for all.  To a large degree, much of the church today idolizes doctrine and theology and sees it as something for all Christians to aspire toward knowing perfectly.  In contrast, my sense is that the early church was much more focused on knowing God Himself and walking with Him.  It was about knowing Jesus Christ, being transformed by the Holy Spirit, and seeing the hand of God active in their lives.  My sense is that the early church considered being "taught" of the Holy Spirit to be more related to living life and knowing God rather than our Western view of being "taught" as aspiring to have perfect intellectual doctrinal knowledge of Christian theology.  I would relate this to the difference of people who consider "faith" to be completely convinced (with no doubts) of various intellectual positions versus those who consider "faith" to be trust and confidence and assurance in God Himself which grows over time because of the months and years and decades that they've seen Him active in their lives.  Is the main point of being "taught" by God to have intellectual perfection or to have Him show us how to walk with Him in our daily lives?

Being inspired by the Holy Spirit does not mean He dictated what to write.

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I am looking for then guidance or direction in Scripture.   I am looking for where the HS directly taught someone doctrine in the Bible.

56 minutes ago, Alive said:

No—have you ever considered the many conversations and interactions that took place among the brethren in assemblies?

The great many sessions where Paul and others expounded truth as the LOrd led? Or words of wisdom that served to guide individuals on a daily basis and in regard to current events?

1 Corinthians 2:13 Good News Translation (GNT)

13 So then, we do not speak in words taught by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit, as we explain spiritual truths to those who have the Spirit.

54 minutes ago, Alive said:

Most excellent! Praise the LOrd.

thanks all

50 minutes ago, Alive said:

I do not see the Bible as a god,  just our standard.    You are welcome to look in the Church Fathers too.

35 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

A great topic I've been following! 

all good

guid·ance
/ˈɡīdəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty, especially as given by someone in authority.
"he looked to his father for inspiration and guidance"
Similar:
advice
counsel
direction
instruction
teaching
counseling
enlightenment
intelligence
information
recommendations
suggestions
tips
hints
pointers
guidelines
ideas
facts
data
info
dope
the lowdown
the inside story
gen
control
leadership
management
supervision
superintendence
government
regulation
orchestration
charge
rule
command
handling
conduct
running
overseeing
the directing of the motion or position of something, especially a missile.
"a surface-to-air missile guidance system"

doc·trine
/ˈdäktrən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.
"the doctrine of predestination"
Similar:
creed
credo
dogma
belief
set of beliefs
code of belief
conviction
teaching
tenet
maxim
article of faith
canon
principle
precept
notion
idea
ideology
theory
thesis
US
a stated principle of government policy, mainly in foreign or military affairs.
"the Monroe Doctrine"

Dictionary
Search for a word
teach·ing
/ˈtēCHiNG/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: teaching; plural noun: teachings
the occupation, profession, or work of a teacher.
ideas or principles taught by an authority.
"the teachings of the Koran"
teach
/tēCH/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: teaching
show or explain to (someone) how to do something.
"she taught him to read"
Similar:
educate
instruct
school
tutor
give lessons to
coach
train
upskill
ground
enlighten
illuminate
verse
edify
prepare
din something into
indoctrinate
brainwash
drill
discipline
teach school
give information about or instruction in (a subject or skill).
"he came one day each week to teach painting"
Similar:
give lessons in
lecture in
give instructions in
inform someone about
familiarize someone with
acquaint someone with
instil
inculcate
explicate
explain
expound
give such instruction professionally.
"she teaches at the local high school"
encourage someone to accept (something) as a fact or principle.
"the philosophy teaches self-control"
cause (someone) to learn or understand something by example or experience.
"traveling taught me that not everyone shared my beliefs"
INFORMAL
make (someone) less inclined to do something.
"I'll teach you to throw rocks at my windows"
Origin

Old English tǣcan ‘show, present, point out’, of Germanic origin; related to token, from an Indo-European root shared by Greek deiknunai ‘show’, deigma ‘sample’.