• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

Are You Relying on the Law?

Gal 3:10-12
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."  (Deut 27:26) Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."  (Hab 2:4) The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."  (Lev 18:5)

Some are under the impression that people in the Old Testament and perhaps Jews today are justified by their obedience to the Law. But the Bible teaches that no one has ever been justified by obedience to the Law. And Paul even goes so far as to say that this fact is clearly evident. Justification has always been based upon faith and not upon law. This is not to say that there is not a lifestyle characteristic of faith. For indeed "The righteous will live by faith". If their lifestyle is inconsistent with their alleged faith, that is just evidence that they don't really believe. But faith in works is not faith in Christ. Faith in works for salvation is relying upon law for justification.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

49 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Are You Relying on the Law?

Gal 3:10-12
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."  (Deut 27:26) Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."  (Hab 2:4) The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."  (Lev 18:5)

Some are under the impression that people in the Old Testament and perhaps Jews today are justified by their obedience to the Law. But the Bible teaches that no one has ever been justified by obedience to the Law. And Paul even goes so far as to say that this fact is clearly evident. Justification has always been based upon faith and not upon law. This is not to say that there is not a lifestyle characteristic of faith. For indeed "The righteous will live by faith". If their lifestyle is inconsistent with their alleged faith, that is just evidence that they don't really believe. But faith in works is not faith in Christ. Faith in works for salvation is relying upon law for justification.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

What the law does is keep us out of trouble. In other words, when we sin, trouble enters into our lives. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.60
  • Days Won:  327

20 minutes ago, Betha said:

Would you mind telling us which WORKS you are speaking of ? Many Laws were given but not all served the same purpose....also some were carnal and temporary while others are spiritual and eternal, holy, just and good   as mentioned in Rom 7  People seem to have no concept of which they are.

Blessings Betha

King James Bible     James 2:10
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

New King James Version     Eph 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

Any works of your own effort to try & earn favor with God(justification)....                        With love,in Christ-Kwik

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

2 hours ago, Betha said:

Would you mind telling us which WORKS you are speaking of ? Many Laws were given but not all served the same purpose....also some were carnal and temporary while others are spiritual and eternal, holy, just and good   as mentioned in Rom 7  People seem to have no concept of which they are.

As Paul writes in Rom 4:4,5 "Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.", he's speaking of "works" generically, which would including the regulations of the law as well as any thing a person does, even good works. So this would even apply to those who are trying to be saved by doing "good" works. 

• This is Worthy 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

3 hours ago, bcbsr said:

As Paul writes in Rom 4:4,5 "Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.", he's speaking of "works" generically, which would including the regulations of the law as well as any thing a person does, even good works. So this would even apply to those who are trying to be saved by doing "good" works. 

or "keep" their salvation by what they do.....

• This is Worthy 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

1 minute ago, bcbsr said:

Yes whether one is trying to obtain  or maintain their salvation status by their works, either is salvation by works. In fact a salvation which can be lost is not actually salvation. Such a person doesn't actually believe they are saved, but rather that they merely have the potential to be saved. In fact some speak of "initial" salvation in this sense as merely a potential to be saved, but then speak of a "final" salvation as the actual salvation. Catholics for example will use that rhetoric. And to get to "final salvation" - they make it conditioned upon works. 

I was just thinking about the story of the prodigal son in another thread....but there were two prodigals in that story.   Both were sons, both dearly loved.  One became a prodigal by a season of rebellion, wasting the Father's blessing on riotous living.  But the other was a prodigal of the heart.  He labored faithfully, did all the works he believed the Father required but felt resentful that he was not PAID in the manner he expected.  He felt his works were not appreciated because in his own eyes he was a SERVANT who had to earn the Father's love and blessing.  And even accused the Father of treating him unfairly because He showed His love and grace toward his own brother.

He was a slave in the House of sonship, not because of the Father's choice, but because of his own attitude, and perception that the love and blessing of the Father was contingent on his works......

• Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 minutes ago, bcbsr said:

Yes whether one is trying to obtain  or maintain their salvation status by their works, either is salvation by works. In fact a salvation which can be lost is not actually salvation.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning the matter This to me is the gospel as it truly is.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  7,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, bcbsr said:

Yes whether one is trying to obtain  or maintain their salvation status by their works, either is salvation by works. In fact a salvation which can be lost is not actually salvation. Such a person doesn't actually believe they are saved, but rather that they merely have the potential to be saved. In fact some speak of "initial" salvation in this sense as merely a potential to be saved, but then speak of a "final" salvation as the actual salvation.

I have to disagree with a lot of your comments...

Jesus Christ is the Judge who has possess the Gates of his enemy...who has the Keys of Death and Hades....

Genesis 3:15 English Standard Version (ESV)

15 I will put enmity between you and the woman,
    and between your offspring[a] and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
    and you shall bruise his heel.”

Bible > Revelation > Chapter 1 > Verse 18
 Revelation 1:18 
New International Version
I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

New Living Translation
I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.

English Standard Version
and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Berean Study Bible
the Living One. I was dead, and behold, now I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of Death and of Hades.

Jesus Christ knows who has believed in him by looking in the heart.....
He knows who is his own by their faith in their heart....this is a fair judgement..without any error and doubt..

When you are asking for living proof and you seek to find the faith in the heart that is hidden from you, for the reason you cannot see in their heart.....

You are admitting their is a marginal error in searching faith by the actions and confessions....one can be mistaken....when is searching to discern the faith in the heart of  someone in the shadows of his actions and confessions....

Jesus Christ has the key to fair judgement....he can see in the heart....

Catholics for example will use that rhetoric. And to get to "final salvation" - they make it conditioned upon works. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,064
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

DISOBEDIENT -- PRETENDERS -- FALSE  TEACHERS 

LUKE 6:46  AND  WHY  CALL  YOU  ME  LORD  LORD  AND --DO  NOT--THE  THINGS  WHICH  I  SAY

HEBREWS 5:9  AND  BEING  MADE  PERFECT  HE  BECAME  THE  AUTHOR  OF  --ETERNAL  SALVATION-----UNTO  ALL  THEM  THAT  OBEY  HIM-----

2 THESSALONIANS 1:11  WHEREFORE  ALSO  WE  PRAY  ALWAYS  FOR  YOU  THAT  OUR  GOD  WOULD  COUNT  YOU  WORTHY  OF  THIS  CALLING  AND  FULFILL  ALL  THE  GOOD  PLEASURE  OF  HIS  GOODNESS  AND  THE  WORK  OF  FAITH  WITH  POWER 

**********************************************************************************************************

1 CORINTHIANS 6:9  KNOW  YOU  NOT  THAT  THE  UNRIGHTEOUS  --- SHALL  NOT  INHERIT  THE  KINGDOM  OF  GOD --- BE  NOT  DECEIVED--NEITHER  FORNICATORS--NOR IDOLATERS--NOR  ADULTERERS--NOR  EFFEMINATE--NOR  ABUSERS  OF  THEMSELVES  WITH  MANKIND---6:10---NOR  THIEVES--NOR  COVETOUS--NOR  DRUNKARDS--NOR  REVILERS--NOR  EXTORTIONERS-----SHALL  INHERIT  THE  KINGDOM  OF  GOD

**********************************************************************************************************

ISAIAH 1:4  AH  SINFUL  NATION  A  PEOPLE  LADEN  WITH  INIQUITY  A  SEED  OF  EVILDOERS  ---CHILDREN  THAT  ARE  CORRUPTERS--- THEY  HAVE  FORSKAEN  THE  LORD  THEY  HAVE  PROVOKED  THE  HOLY  ONE  OF  ISRAEL  UNTO  ANGER  THEY  ARE  GONE  AWAY  ---BACKWARD---

JEREMIAH 7:24  BUT  THEY  HEARKENED  NOT  --- NOR  INCLINED  THEIR  EAR --- BUT  WALKED  IN  THE  COUNSELS  AND  IN  THE  IMAGINATION  ---OF  THEIR  EVIL  HEART-----AND  WENT BACKWARD  AND  NOT  FORWARD-----

PROVERBS 21:30  THERE  IS  NO  WISDOM  NOR  UNDERSTANDING  NOR  COUNSEL  ---AGAINST  THE  LORD---

PROVERBS 15:10  CORRECTION  IS  GRIEVOUS  UNTO  HIM  THAT  FORSAKETH  THE  WAY  ---AND  HE  THAT  HATETH  REPROOF  SHALL  DIE---

PROVERBS 15:12  A  SCORNER  LOVETH  NOT  ONE  THAT  REPROVETH  HIM  ---NEITHER  WILL  HE  GO  UNTO  THE  WISE--

2 THESSALONIANS  2:10  AND  WITH  ALL  DECEIVEABLENESS  OF  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  IN  THEM  THAT  PERISH  BECAUSE  THEY  RECEIVED  NOT  THE  LOVE  OF  THE  TRUTH ---THAT  THEY  MIGHT  BE  SAVED 

JEREMIAH 15:6  THOU  HAST  FORSAKEN  ME  SAITH  THE  LORD  ---THOU  ART  GONE  BACKWARD--- THEREFORE  WILL  I  STRETCH  OUT  MY  HAND  AGAINST  THEE  AND  DESTROY  THEE  ---I  AM  WEARY  WITH  REPENTING---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

Edited by steve morrow
not finished --- wrong button