Diaste

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

There are some who have taught the fig tree in Jewish metaphor is symbolic of the tree of life. Such as when Jesus telling Nathanial He saw him under the fig tree. John 1: 45-51. What Jesus was saying to Nathanial was that He saw him from the foundations of the world. Johns Gospel to some scholars is the most Jewish in literary style of second temple first century teaching. 

He starts using the old creation narrative to show forth the new creation in Jesus Christ. Miracle with water on the third day of creation and Jesus does a miracle with water on the third day. Small light, John the Baptist, large light, Jesus. John wrote his gospel so they would believe Jesus is the Messiah. The places He walked and His actions fulfilled what the Messiah had come to accomplish.

He is always going up or had come from or preparing to go to Jerusalem around a feast time. Even chapter 10 He was in Jerusalem for Hanukah.  

He made the statement "I am the light of the world" at the Festival of Lights. The center light is what each light on the 8 days is lit from. Jesus was saying I am the light that lights all other lights. They then picked up stones to stone Him. 

Edited by Zemke

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,258
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, Zemke said:

Hi Marilyn,

I had thought the same for some time. The reason I changed my mind is when Paul is speaking of Israel in Romans he uses the olive tree symbolically and in Jeremiah 11: 15,16 we read:

"What right has My beloved in My house when she has done many vile deeds? Can the sacrificial flesh take away from you your disaster, so that you can rejoice?" The LORD called your name, "A green olive tree, beautiful in fruit and form;" With the noise of  a great tumult He has kindled fire on it, and its branches are worthless.

I like to try and keep metaphors in flux so to speak, or in a word not set doctrine from a type but allow the type to illuminate a doctrine. For now anyway I'm sitting with the olive tree being more symbolic.

Hi Zemke,

I can quite understand why you think that, however....had you realised that God uses multiple symbols to show an aspect that he wants to reveal.

So...Israel`s rulership over the nations is described as `one of the highest branches of the high cedar......On the mountain height of Israel I will plant it;..`` (Ez. 17: 22 & 23)

Israel`s relationship to Jesus the `root of the Olive tree.` - branch of the Olive tree.  (Rom. 11: 17)

Israel`s return to the land a second time in the time of their coming kingdom rule over the nations. - `the fig tree,`  bearing fruit of repentance. (Matt. 24: 32 - 35)

Each description reveals more of God`s working with His nation of Israel - rulership, Jesus, repentance.

19 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Zemke,

I can quite understand why you think that, however....had you realised that God uses multiple symbols to show an aspect that he wants to reveal.

So...Israel`s rulership over the nations is described as `one of the highest branches of the high cedar......On the mountain height of Israel I will plant it;..`` (Ez. 17: 22 & 23)

Israel`s relationship to Jesus the `root of the Olive tree.` - branch of the Olive tree.  (Rom. 11: 17)

Israel`s return to the land a second time in the time of their coming kingdom rule over the nations. - `the fig tree,`  bearing fruit of repentance. (Matt. 24: 32 - 35)

Each description reveals more of God`s working with His nation of Israel - rulership, Jesus, repentance.

That's understandable and something to consider. It's just Jesus says "when you see ALL these things" and Luke's account tells us to "behold the fig tree and ALL the trees."  Luke 21

I'm not finding the coming kingdom rule over the nations bearing fruit of repentance either in this particular scripture or in current events. It's not for not thinking dynamically but I'm not real sure we can read that into the sense of this text. Or maybe we are simply seeing the bigger picture from different angles or different applications surrounding different perspectives. 

When Jesus is saying when you see all these things I'm thinking He is speaking of the whole of the discourse. 

4 hours ago, Zemke said:

That's understandable and something to consider. It's just Jesus says "when you see ALL these things" and Luke's account tells us to "behold the fig tree and ALL the trees."  Luke 21

I'm not finding the coming kingdom rule over the nations bearing fruit of repentance either in this particular scripture or in current events. It's not for not thinking dynamically but I'm not real sure we can read that into the sense of this text. Or maybe we are simply seeing the bigger picture from different angles or different applications surrounding different perspectives. 

When Jesus is saying when you see all these things I'm thinking He is speaking of the whole of the discourse. 

I agree that Jesus is speaking about all of His discourse. So we need to think `Why has He included the parable of the fig tree?`

Now there are 3 references to the fig tree in the gospels.

1. Luke 13: 6 - 9. Here we see the patience of God deferring the cutting down of the fig tree and giving Israel another chance.

2. Mark 11: 12 - 20. Here we see the heart of God yearning for fruit from Israel. Jesus saw the fig tree having leaves but without fruit. God expects fruit from His people.

3. Luke 21: 29 - 31. The fig tree has been cursed and withered for 2,000 years. Now Jesus is saying that once you see Israel beginning to show life as a nation, that summer is near - their repentance and then the millennium. (Zech. 12: 10 - 14,  14: 16) 

2 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

I agree that Jesus is speaking about all of His discourse. So we need to think `Why has He included the parable of the fig tree?`

Now there are 3 references to the fig tree in the gospels.

1. Luke 13: 6 - 9. Here we see the patience of God deferring the cutting down of the fig tree and giving Israel another chance.

2. Mark 11: 12 - 20. Here we see the heart of God yearning for fruit from Israel. Jesus saw the fig tree having leaves but without fruit. God expects fruit from His people.

3. Luke 21: 29 - 31. The fig tree has been cursed and withered for 2,000 years. Now Jesus is saying that once you see Israel beginning to show life as a nation, that summer is near - their repentance and then the millennium. (Zech. 12: 10 - 14,  14: 16) 

I do see when reading the texts what you are saying about Israel. That's fine. 

However, I'm not sure they settle an absolute that the fig tree in Matthew 24 represents Israel full stop. I do not have a problem with that assessment because Israel being born as a nation is a major difference as to what is different now as apposed to all other times in history. I get it. I just believe there is more to this. Not that I have it understood but that it just doesn't seem settled that the fig tree is Israel and that is that.

The story of the fig tree in Luke deals with repentance in context and also God being serious about His coming judgement. During that same occasion Jesus was saying "I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled." and "Do you suppose I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division." 

So yes Jesus's ministry was to the house of Israel and much of what He as saying was spoke to the Jews. But I think if we insert the fig tree representing the tree of life it also fits nicely in this scripture.

The tree being cursed in Mark and in Matthew both deal with faith. James wrote, "Faith without works is dead." The fruit needs the leaves to protect the fruit from the harsh sun, but what good does the leaf serve when there is no fruit. Without faith we cannot please God. A works righteousness brings death. Once again The fig tree being representative of a person representing life works well here also.

And in Luke it is mentioned "behold the fig tree and all the trees." This is interesting in the aspect of the trees representing peoples or nations but as you asked earlier, why?  I'm fine with people wanting to believe the fig tree is Israel and that's that, but there is a parable about the trees in  Judges 9 and I believe there is more to understand. 

Edited by Zemke

4 hours ago, Zemke said:

I do see when reading the texts what you are saying about Israel. That's fine. 

However, I'm not sure they settle an absolute that the fig tree in Matthew 24 represents Israel full stop.

So yes Jesus's ministry was to the house of Israel and much of what He as saying was spoke to the Jews. But I think if we insert the fig tree representing the tree of life it also fits nicely in this scripture.

Hi Zemke,

Good talking with you. I`m glad we agree on the fig tree. However I see you then go on to say it could be the `Tree of Life.` Now we need to realise that ONLY the Lord gives life - `I am the way the truth and the LIFE.` No true life from anywhere else.

The Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve & the `snake, is a pictorial representation. The snake represents Satan, (Rev. 12: 9) while the `Tree of Life` represents the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,647
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  2

20 hours ago, Sonshine said:

I’d say it’s a warning to watch now in these latter days.  The parable of the fig tree is also mentioned in Revelation 6:13.  In the 6th seal, the untimely figs appear; that is, the locust army and the antichrist.  This happens in the last generation, that’s us. 

Revelation 6:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

I agree it's for the terminal generation. I don't see the fig tree from the Olivet Discourse as synonymous with Israel. Israel back in the Promised Land is the fulfillment of prophecy but as far as I can tell the analogy of the fig tree has nothing to do with it. But I could be wrong. Others seem to think it does.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:32 AM, Marilyn C said:

Hi Diaste,

I believe God`s word tells us that the fig tree is symbolic of Israel and when it sprouted it became a nation, (as did other `trees` become nations, from the British Empire). As to the `Summer` well that is from the month of Tammuz, when I believe the A/C will set up the AOD in the temple. And then that is only 3 1/2 years from the end of the Trib, when the Lord returns. So that fits in to when the Lord said, -

`When they are already budding, you see & know for yourselves that summer is not near. So you, likewise, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. ` (Luke 21: 30 & 31) 

Maybe, but it looks more like the analogy is explained in the analogy.

Budding = these things happening.

Summer = God is near.

These things happening = the end of the age events in the Olivet Discourse.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, The Light said:

The fig tree has two harvests. The first harvest will be the early summer grain harvest, hence summer is nigh. It will be the pretribulation rapture of the Church, the SECRET rapture at the trump of God, when the Lord himself comes. It will be like the days of Noah where Noah is in the ark 7 days before the flood.

The second harvest will be like the days of Lot, the very day Lot left Sodom destruction came. Those that "see all these things come to pass" will know to look up their redemption draws nigh. That is why it says DOORS. There will be two harvests. The second harvest will be the fall fruit harvest at the last trump on the Feast of Trumpets. He will send His angels to gather His elect.

I don't think the above scenario is based on a comprehensive understanding of the whole of scripture. What you posted is a general piecemeal approach by which the ancestors of pretrib first posited this doctrine. There is a great deal of scripture not taken into account to arrive at the above.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

On 4/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, Diaste said:

Is this parable of Israel's rebirth or just an analogy of the signs of the times?

"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its branches become tender and sprout leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you will know that He is near, right at the door."

Forgive me, but when Jesus says: "you will know that HE is near, right at the door." Does is not primarily tell us of HIS return to Earth?  This is the only thing I can see in the passage.  Unless it also means that Israel will be fully restored at His coming again also?

Am I missing something?