Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

"Some years ago I spoke at an interdenominational convocation for clergymen in Washington, DC. While in Washington, I received a letter from a wife who said she was praying that her sixty-seven-year-old husband might be saved. After the service, with many tears he gave his life to Christ. The next night a young man waited for me after the service, and on his knees he accepted the Lord as his Savior. When Sunday night came, I extended an invitation and God blessed it; there were many who came forward and many who were saved.

But some of the clergymen present were from liturgical denominations and were highly offended by my making the appeal. They used some excoriating, harsh, and critical words about what I had done to the service. A part of the program each day was a panel, and when the panel met that Monday, I was called upon to defend what I had done. I was accused of conducting a cheap, melodramatic show of emotionalism which had no place in the service of Christ. I became discouraged and heavy-hearted. I spent that afternoon as sad and blue as I could be.

When it was time for the Monday night service, the man who presided over the convocation came to my room and had a talk with me. He said, “I know that this harsh criticism has really crushed you. But we knew that it would be this way when we invited you to come, and we wanted you to be yourself. If you had not given that invitation, we would have been disappointed in you. Tonight, you let the Holy Spirit lead you and do what God puts in your heart—and some of us will be praying.” I felt moved by God that night again to extend an invitation. More responded and were saved. Following the meeting, one of my critics drew me aside and apologized. He said that he had never seen anything like that.

The great purpose of the people of God is that God might use us to bring others to the saving faith we have found in our blessed Jesus."

....Pastor Criswell

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Flowersun said:

Thank you for sharing..Coliseum......that is something I have never experienced,seeing people saved.....maybe one day I will.....God willing.......

Great to see the Holy Spirit leading you though.

Actually sister, each of us who are born again observed themselves getting saved, and what a glorious moment that was and should give each us a desire to share our testimony with others so that God can use us the same way He used that Pastor you just gave thanks to. Our job is not to save people, but God can. Our job is to tell people. The four friends who lowered the paraplegic through the roof so that Jesus could heal him was what caused Jesus to commend them for their faith, which Jesus said was the reason he was healed. :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Coliseum said:

"Some years ago I spoke at an interdenominational convocation for clergymen in Washington, DC. While in Washington, I received a letter from a wife who said she was praying that her sixty-seven-year-old husband might be saved. After the service, with many tears he gave his life to Christ. The next night a young man waited for me after the service, and on his knees he accepted the Lord as his Savior. When Sunday night came, I extended an invitation and God blessed it; there were many who came forward and many who were saved.

But some of the clergymen present were from liturgical denominations and were highly offended by my making the appeal. They used some excoriating, harsh, and critical words about what I had done to the service. A part of the program each day was a panel, and when the panel met that Monday, I was called upon to defend what I had done. I was accused of conducting a cheap, melodramatic show of emotionalism which had no place in the service of Christ. I became discouraged and heavy-hearted. I spent that afternoon as sad and blue as I could be.

When it was time for the Monday night service, the man who presided over the convocation came to my room and had a talk with me. He said, “I know that this harsh criticism has really crushed you. But we knew that it would be this way when we invited you to come, and we wanted you to be yourself. If you had not given that invitation, we would have been disappointed in you. Tonight, you let the Holy Spirit lead you and do what God puts in your heart—and some of us will be praying.” I felt moved by God that night again to extend an invitation. More responded and were saved. Following the meeting, one of my critics drew me aside and apologized. He said that he had never seen anything like that.

The great purpose of the people of God is that God might use us to bring others to the saving faith we have found in our blessed Jesus."

....Pastor Criswell

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Outstanding!!

Great post Coliseum, makes my get up want to go and spread some seed.
I have had the privilege of seeing many led to a saving faith, 
and give their voice to God's salvation mercy. (And a child was born...)
There's not a greater work than to be a tiny part of somebody's hearing and accepting the good news.

I have had only one personal study bible, rebound now three times, the 1979 "Criswell Study Bible"
Pastor Criswell was a great man of faith.

He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed,
shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
bringing his sheaves with him.

Psalms 126,6

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”
  :thumbsup:

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

12 hours ago, Coliseum said:

....Pastor Criswell

Traditionalism / elitism are two prongs of the opposition to God. Even the disciples of Jesus

had difficulty with this (Mark 9:38-41). 

We flock to the Church Organization Industrial Denominational Complex for we perceive in them the way to God.

But in truth, God saves us in the genuine Christ despite the Church Organization... making us the Church Organism ← which he saved.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,321
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

2 hours ago, Flowersun said:

My youngest son was brought up with the Lord....he loves the Lord ...but he isn't yet born again....every evening when he drives home from work...he rings me...God is the biggest part of our conversation.

I love that fellowship with my son...he is so open...

What makes you think your son isn't born again?   Is he believing in Christ's sacrifice for himself for his sins?   If he is, he is born again.

Remember being born again is based on our faith in Christ.... it's not about having an experience, although some of us do have an experience.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,193
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

4 hours ago, Flowersun said:

My youngest son was brought up with the Lord....he loves the Lord ...but he isn't yet born again....every evening when he drives home from work...he rings me...God is the biggest part of our conversation.

If I might interject a thought here...If you have fellowship of the Spirit with your son, he is God’s, and is born again..

Fellowship of the Spirit is when your relationship with Christ touches his...

This can not be known but as an inward thing.. But it is undeniable, it just is...You have the witness inwardly that you are feeding and being fed by one another

Hope this helps...

All my best in Christ, Not me 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,193
  • Content Per Day:  1.44

2 minutes ago, Flowersun said:

That's exactly what we have,we are so connected when we talk about the Lord.....Not Me.....yes your post has helped....thank you for the input.

Sorry Coliseum....I hope this is ok,talking about my son.....

Compare that life that flows between you with the life (fellowship) that flows between a known believer....The degree may differ, but the Spirit itself should and will be the same...

This is a blessing of blessings, when the Spirit of Christ in one touches the Spirit of Christ in another...For life has been transferred and both grow...

Be blessed in the growing, Not me 

(My apologies also Coliseum for highjacking your thread...Be blessed,) 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,321
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

14 hours ago, Flowersun said:

That's a good point..

i guess because of my experience...which God testified to me being born again straight to my heart...that I was his child........I thought everyone had the same experience....obviously I have learnt  since that is not the case.

He does talk a lot about God...especially since this coronavirus ....and how he has committed to the Lord about changing some of his ways....

That's good to hear about your son...it does sound like he is born again.   Just be sure he knows it's his faith in Christ that has saved him, what Christ has done for him....not your son's works.   Although, of course, as believers we will have a changed life....some growing slower than others, some having a marked changed life through Christ.

555746126_John8-36IfTheSonMakesYouFreeYouShallBeFreeIndeedutmost11-18.jpg.974d431b76227f2726289978483344ab.jpg

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

14 hours ago, Flowersun said:

.and how he has committed to the Lord about changing some of his ways....

Nobody ever receives Salvation by “ changing their ways”......that is a lie from Satan...

One receives Salvation precisely because the scales fall from their eyes and they finally see that no amount of “ turning over a new leaf” or “ changing their ways” will ever make them fit for Heaven. Jesus said we are “ to be PERFECT” in order to go to Heaven and He MEANT IT!  The ONLY Way to get that Required Perfection is to have it “ IMPUTED” to you.....How does one get God to see them “ as if they NEVER SINNED?”. Easy. Stop putting your Faith in  your pitiful performance of “ being good enough” and put that Faith in the Gospel Of Paul- Given to Him Personally by Jesus.That Gospel is to be found in 1cor15:1-4.......Believe in it and IT ONLY.....REST in it...... “ THAT” is how one gets saved.......we are all dirty and only the Blood Of Jesus can cleanse us......self effort is nothing but “ filthy rags” in the eyes of God......Turn from your trusting your “ morality” to Faith in Jesus plus Nothing......May God open your eyes and the eyes of others to these Truths....

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

15 hours ago, Flowersun said:

I believe a lot of People are saved through clergymen,pastor ,etc....God uses them as his vessel.

I agree, Flowersun.
The vast majority here have been saved in a church, or through a church ministry, church missionaries, church witness.
Been around and worked a couple of thousand years, through all the trials, and persecutions, just like today.
And God is still on the throne, and doesn't forget His flock, wherever they worship Him.